Just Ordered My FRPP Procal - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 5.0 View Post
This is specifically covered in Step 3 under Prepare Your Vehicle in the ProCal II instructions.

Prepare Vehicle:
STEP 3: Make sure your vehicle’s battery is fully charged (at least 12.0 volts) and all accessories (radio, interior
fan, headlights, etc.) are off. If you are unsure if your vehicle’s battery is fully charged, connect a battery
charger prior to beginning the programming process.

CAUTION: If your ProCal II aborts programming due to low voltage or interrupted programming
process, you may be required to have the vehicle towed to an authorized Ford Dealer to
reprogram your PCM back to its original stock calibration.
The tuner also tells you if your volts are low and makes you hit enter to proceed anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I just made my appointment for the Procal tune tomorrow with my dealer, I'm excited.

I was just wondering though, I have my skip shift solenoid disconnected. Should I plug that back in before going in to do this? I don't have a lift so I'll have to go pay the guy at the local garage $25 to lift the car again.

Does it matter?

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
I just made my appointment for the Procal tune tomorrow with my dealer, I'm excited.

I was just wondering though, I have my skip shift solenoid disconnected. Should I plug that back in before going in to do this? I don't have a lift so I'll have to go pay the guy at the local garage $25 to lift the car again.

Does it matter?
Nope. Just plug it in next time you have your oil changed. Doesn't matter either way.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.

PONY Member

Quote:

Does it matter?
Dude...I'm excited for you...report back!!!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
Dude...I'm excited for you...report back!!!
+1, congrats and give a full review, we'll be waiting...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Freewayflyer - apparently, from you last post, you're not having the "ping" issue that's been discussed?

How much does this tune increase the horsepower?
And what is the total cost including installation?

Thanks. Glad you like it.

2012 5.0 GT - 6MT82 - Sterling Gray - Premium Sports Interior - Comfort Package - 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels
post #52 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok the Procal tune is now installed on my car, and I just drove it back home about 25 miles. Here are my first impressions. Sorry in advance for the long post.

The car feels great. It's basically like everyone says, the torque down low is super strong, and it will easily break the tires loose in a 2nd gear roll. The throttle response is sharper; the car just feels "awake". These changes are perfect. Worth every dollar.

The question on many people's minds (and mine as well, honestly) is... does it ping? The answer is... I'm not sure, but I think it might.

I can hear something around 3800 rpm and up under heavy load. Octane adjust was set to "N" by default for my drive home. The first time I got on it merging onto the freeway in 3rd gear, it got up near 4K and I heard what sounding like a brief "BBs rattling in a can" type sound. Not super loud, but also not hard to hear at all. It's also completely repeatable, I could hear it pretty much every time the car is at WOT or thereabouts, at or above 4K rpm. I did this a handful of times to make sure I wasn't imagining it, then decided that yes, that's something, all right.

I'm not a mechanic nor do I have personal experience with what ping sounds like on other cars. But I do know that sound didn't exist before.

So I cruised home, and used the Procal to set the octane adjust to "Y". From what testing I could do around where I live (it's a little crowded out there right now) the octane adjust did stop the noise. But, and this is the sad part, it also takes away a bit of that razor sharpness that the car has with octane adjust set to "N". It's clearly dialed back a bit.

So, I called Ford Racing to ask them what they thought. The guy I got on the tech line was a little dismissive about it, as if he had to explain this every day. He said that "spark knock" (same as ping, right?) would only be audible between 5500 rpm and 5800 rpm (if I remember him correctly) if I was experiencing it. And that if I was hearing a noise starting more like 4K rpm, that it was not ping but rather the "catalytic impingement" that I've heard mentioned on these pages before. He said that it was similar to when you turn your car off and can still hear the catalytic converters ticking. Then he said to get some "better gas", and also to try the "Y" octane adjust setting. Finally he said "I swear you will not be doing any damage to your engine whatsoever" on either setting.

So that conversation was a little confusing because on one hand he was telling me that it wasn't spark knock, nothing to worry about, but on the other hand was telling me to do things like get better gas or use the octane adjust, which are supposed to help remedy spark knock, as far as I understand it. I think others have been down this road before, and I understand why they have been frustrated by Ford's message on this.

I have mixed feelings right now about this. It's not for nothing, because even with the octane set to "Y" it's a better car. But I would love to be one of the people who is carefree about this tune.

What do you guys think about this catalytic impingement theory? Could that really be what I'm hearing?

I'll be driving the car a few hundred miles this weekend. Shall I find some fresh gas somewhere and see what happens with "N"?

Or maybe I should first try to do the crank sensor and/or idle relearn? (I think that the tech at the dealer already did some kind of crank relearn though FWIW)

I just want to request that if you reply here, try to keep this thread factual and not degenerate into a FRPP flame fest. I'm trying to stay cool about this. Thanks.

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
PONY Member

Yep Bro...What you are hearing is indeed the "ping" at around the RPMs that we have been describing. I was hoping you didn't get it, especially at your climate.

Also FRPP told you the same story that we all got. I'm frusrated about the situation as well. Awesome performance product that has one huge, but maybe harmless quirk. I guess time will tell.

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
PONY Member

Quote:
I can hear something around 3800 rpm and up under heavy load. Octane adjust was set to "N" by default for my drive home. The first time I got on it merging onto the freeway in 3rd gear, it got up near 4K and I heard what sounding like a brief "BBs rattling in a can" type sound. Not super loud, but also not hard to hear at all. It's also completely repeatable, I could hear it pretty much every time the car is at WOT or thereabouts, at or above 4K rpm. I did this a handful of times to make sure I wasn't imagining it, then decided that yes, that's something, all right.

So, I called Ford Racing to ask them what they thought. The guy I got on the tech line was a little dismissive about it, as if he had to explain this every day. He said that "spark knock" (same as ping, right?) would only be audible between 5500 rpm and 5800 rpm (if I remember him correctly) if I was experiencing it. And that if I was hearing a noise starting more like 4K rpm, that it was not ping but rather the "catalytic impingement" that I've heard mentioned on these pages before. He said that it was similar to when you turn your car off and can still hear the catalytic converters ticking. Then he said to get some "better gas", and also to try the "Y" octane adjust setting. Finally he said "I swear you will not be doing any damage to your engine whatsoever" on either setting.

So that conversation was a little confusing because on one hand he was telling me that it wasn't spark knock, nothing to worry about, but on the other hand was telling me to do things like get better gas or use the octane adjust, which are supposed to help remedy spark knock, as far as I understand it. I think others have been down this road before, and I understand why they have been frustrated by Ford's message on this.

What do you guys think about this catalytic impingement theory? Could that really be what I'm hearing?
What do you think? Have you ever heard of catalytic impingement? I can tell you that in my 25 years of playing with cars, I have not. What you are hearing is the ping. It is no coincidence that it happens at that RPM level, since that is where you will find the car generating maximum load, if you were to datalog it. I agree with you, enabling the octane adjust does dial back the fun of the tune. I guess you have to decide if you want the sharper tune, and possible ping, or the lesser version. Try some different gas stations, try some octane boost..experiment a little before you make a decision. It is a great tune.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for that long review DW Burnett! Damn, I was hoping you had no issues, your feedback doesn't make me pull the trigger once again... And that's too bad, because that tune really sound great (except for the ping...)!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #56 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer. I'm going to see what happens when go through a few tanks of 93 gas this weekend. I don't really like hearing the spark knock, not sure if I could get used to it. But the drivability around town rules.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Best of luck, and please keep us posted on how it goes.

GT Member

Quote:
Finally he said "I swear you will not be doing any damage to your engine whatsoever" on either setting.
Screw it and enjoy the car! If they are so sure this tune is safe they can fix it if it breaks...

I haven't heard of any horror stories so far with this tune and people have been running it for over a year now. I doubt you'll be the first.

I hate to say it but as quick as this car is stock the acceleration just doesn't feel very exciting without a tune and this is the only one with a nice warranty.

Ford Racing keeps saying their tune is safe. Maybe it is somehow?

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
PONY Member

I wonder if "catalytic impingement" is technospeak for "molten fragments of your pistons shooting through your cat converter."

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
PONY Member

Thanks for the review!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page