Just Ordered My FRPP Procal - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Kona5.0 View Post
Sorry to report that my results are the same as yours. Relearn doesn't cure ping. It comes back and honestly the severity of the ping has never been consistent. Almost always there a little, but varies a lot.

I love the improvements, but am dissappointed that FR hasn't attempted to solve the issue.

Wondering if you mean you have taken off the procal tune, then could not get the car back to stock through the relearn.

Also, and sorry for my ignorance, but what do we mean when we say the car has been reflashed for TBS X - are you getting updates or reflashes to the latest config at the dealer and that is making considerable improvements in the power you are feeling?

Again sorry -just not current with the latest info as my car has been away for 5 months and comes back out of storage this week!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
One another note, DW Burnett where are ya?! Give us some news please!
Hey sorry about that, hoped to do another crank sensor relearn routine tonight like I promised, but actually ended up not driving the Mustang at all today.

However I can report that the situation all day driving on Sunday was very minimal pinging, same as Saturday. I really have to be in WOT and above 4K to get a couple very brief ticks out of it. I drove a couple hundred miles over the weekend and just enjoyed the car. The torque made cruising the back roads a pleasure, could just leave it in 4th and effortlessly pick up 10-15 mph out of a sweeper with just a gesture of the right toe.

Today I called Ford Racing to make sure that they had my warranty registered from Friday. I know this topic sort of falls into the beating a dead horse category, but in the course of that conversation I grilled the guy ("Tom") a bit about why the instruction manual would say use octane adjust "Y" if there is "audible spark knock", but then over the phone why they would say "don't worry about it, you can run it on 'N' no problem". His response was that real pinging would be heard all over the RPM range, and not just in one small spot or for one split second. Which is exactly the opposite of what someone else at Ford Racing said on Friday, which is that if it pings, it would be around 5500 rpm. Huh? The customer service over there is unfortunate, and gives the impression that either 1. those guys who answer the phone don't really know what they are talking about, or 2. that it's a smokescreen and they are knowingly ************ us. Either way that's too bad, we are all enthusiasts who want real answers; no one wants to have their intelligence insulted. I told him exactly what my car was doing and he said leave it on "N", there would be no problem whatsoever. It's strange to think that a company that would be potentially on the hook for an expensive engine replacement would directly instruct someone to do something that they know would make that situation more likely. They must have a reason they are so confident about the tune, I just wish they could explain it to us.

So I have to think that since there have been, as far as I know, zero warranty claims against FRPP as a result of this tune, that it probably really is pretty safe. I've read in another thread where Mike (MBreinin) suggested that Ford couldn't tune out the ping completely in order to pass emissions. Which kinda makes sense. I'm just postulating here a bit as well.

They keep saying "catalytic impingement" every time on the phone. I know no one has ever heard of this. Could there be any merit in the idea that some of this noise could be coming from the catalytic converter? Or are we officially calling ******** on that?

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome back DW Burnett and thanks for the update!!

So what are you doing with this tune, you keep it or not? You said very minimal pinging..., let me get this straight; if you go for it a for a little while, really hit the road and go through the gears at WOT, do you have the ping at all times or not? I understand that under normal driving you don't even hear it, is that correct?

Also, do you think, there is a "break in" time once the tune is installed on your Mustang?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

post #109 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
They keep saying "catalytic impingement" every time on the phone. I know no one has ever heard of this. Could there be any merit in the idea that some of this noise could be coming from the catalytic converter? Or are we officially calling ******** on that?
Sorry, I'm still reading about this and looks like not long ago there are folks who already were calling ******** on cat impingement. So forget about that. Just wishful thinking.

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
post #110 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Welcome back DW Burnett and thanks for the update!!

So what are you doing with this tune, you keep it or not? You said very minimal pinging..., let me get this straight; if you go for it a for a little while, really hit the road and go through the gears at WOT, do you have the ping at all times or not? I understand that under normal driving you don't even hear it, is that correct?

Also, do you think, there is a "break in" time once the tune is installed on your Mustang?
Howdy, and thanks

That's right, under normal driving conditions I don't hear it at all. I can only hear it "going through the gears" at WOT, and over the weekend, only some of the time under those conditions. My girlfriend got used to me getting to an on ramp, killing the radio, and nailing the throttle to listen. She heard it too when it happened. But it wasn't every time. Sometimes I would be all out and I really couldn't hear anything. It's not as repeatable after the crank sensor relearn. But that's just two days of data. Since the engine responds to gas, atmospheric conditions, etc., I'll just need more time to see what it does.

Right now I feel like I am going to just keep it as is. It's got a warranty. If I'm the guy who has to be the first guy on the internet with a Procal warranty claim, I guess that's life. But at least I'll have you guys!

Who knows if there is a break-in or learning period for the tune, I doubt it, but I think that I'll just keep my eyes open to any changes in the behavior. If the pinging gets worse I'll just have to re-evaluate.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for your comments once again! Damn I'm on the fence and having hard time to decide if I should go for it or not...
On a side note, that FRPP Tune is part of the RTR's package, not that it brings anything new, but I wonder if any RTR's owners have experienced the ping...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
GT Member

I'm glad other owners are reporting about the ping. I was one of the first ones to get this tune and post about the ping to somewhat deaf ears lol.

I have since sold my ProCal back to FR for $75 but when I did have the tune, the ping was mild and non-existent during normal driving but let me tell you guys, during summer temps, it can get reallllly bad. Just wait

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
I'm glad other owners are reporting about the ping. I was one of the first ones to get this tune and post about the ping to somewhat deaf ears lol.

I have since sold my ProCal back to FR for $75 but when I did have the tune, the ping was mild and non-existent during normal driving but let me tell you guys, during summer temps, it can get reallllly bad. Just wait
That's very nice...

Not everyone will have ping with this tune. I know because I haven't experienced it on my current car or my last 2011 auto 5.0 (even in warm weather) which I've stated many times.
Unfortunately it is a real issue though. Many have been reporting it and I've heard it first hand on my father's car.
The crank re-learn seems to help but not cure it.
It's the best daily driveability tune out there with a great warranty and it runs good at the track too. It pings for some but Ford Racing says it's safe. If it's so safe they can fix it if it breaks something.

Asphalt,
If stock isn't doing it for you this is really the only choice you have as far as warranty. If it pings leave it on the "Y" setting most of the time. "N" for special occasions and even better if you have an octane booster on hand. The "Y" setting still a lot more fun than stock.

People with automatic,
I wouldn't recommend this tune. It was quicker but I barely felt much of a sotp difference even set on "N" and the shifts still felt soft. Combined with the chance of ping I'd say it's not worth it.
If auto people want more they need to go aftermarket.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
PONY Member

I have an automatic and Octane set to Y felt almost like stock. It still offered more TQ though at the lower RPMs so its noticeable. The biggest improvement is that I got 3 more MPGs.

So basically, I would recommend this tune if
A. You can deal with the ping or cure it on your own.
B. You live in colder climates
C. You have strict emissions laws in your state like Cali

Otherwise your are better off going with an aftermarket tune.

I'm riding stock now. Temps in TX, LA, ARK is already in the 80s. My next tune will be totally custom.

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
PONY Member

Asphalt,
I always wondered what tune came with the RTRs because I knew it wasn't stock. There's only a handful of them running around so hopefully they can chime in. Does Roush build their own tunes?

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
GT Member

Quote:
The biggest improvement is that I got 3 more MPGs.
I too have noticed an improvement in mpg's.
Believe me, this tune makes a dramatic difference in the manual set on "N" (making it barely worth the possible ping) compared to the difference it makes with the auto at least in my experience.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
...So basically, I would recommend this tune if...

You have strict emissions laws in your state like Cali...
15 states have adopted CA emissions standards. As a result, many/most or all car manufacturers incorporated these standards in every car they build now...the intake/exhaust/emissions systems on every mustang built is the same, regardless of the state they're delivered to. Every one of them is 50 state CARB certified.

The only difference in a 'California' car and non CA car is documentation, from the inclusion of the option of 'California Emissions, no charge' on the window sticker to the stickers in the motor compartment.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
GT Member

Hey Dafreeze!
You experiencing any ping?
Set on "Y" or "N"?

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Nope, and set on 'N'. Best gas around here w/o ethenol is 76 91 octane.

Must admit, however, that I'm 52 and have tinitus...constant ringing in my ears. I get anual hearing tests for work and have quite a bit of upper freq hearing loss.

Regarding 50 state CARB approval, I first learned of this early last year when I decided I had to have a 5.0.

Transplanted myself to WA state 5 years ago this July. When looking at window stickers of avail cars on line I immediately noted CA emissions, no charge, on every one. WA adopted CA emissions a few years ago.

Took a bit of digging before I learned that all cars are the same. Ford adopted CA emissions on all their Mustangs (and I can only assume all their cars) because more and more states were going to CA standards and it wasn't hard to do w/todays technology. Schwew! I was pissed and bummed for a couple days thinking I didn't want to buy a performance car in a state that forced a cork up it's wazzou.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Oh, and 'hey' back at you, Buddy.

Obviously goes w/o saying, regarding the 'ping', Ford Racing warranty and explanation is good enough for me...I could give a chit. Love this tune and w/my potential warranty concerns it was the only one for me. I've got 17k plus miles now on the car and am so confident in it and it's drivetrain that if I had the 7 large I'd already be sporting a Whipple. (just bought a house so fun $'s a little tight).

As long as I'm on a roll, Asphalt, if you don't just go out and get a Pro Cal I'm likely to take up a collection and send you one...or send you a big block of cheese to go with all your wine. (ha!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page