Ford Mustang Forum banner

Which are the best side scoops, aftermarket ?

12K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  MADSCOTSMAN 
#1 ·
The 2012 GT I have came with Acc package 5, no side scoops. Love the car (of course), it simply glides along between 80 and 110, I can't believe it.

However, I want side scoops.

The ones at American Muscle look good, but are there any alternatives that won't cost me $600 ?
Does everyone who bought them from AM LOVE them ?
I want the to stick forever. Is the tape that comes with them as good / better than the tape that the Ford dealer would use, if I had them do the installation ?

Your learned thoughts, please !!

#2 ·
pretty much any tape used on vehicles is 3m backing..strong stuff..I wouldnt worry about them ever coming off unless you sat down with a heat gun, fishing line and goo gone for a hour or two.

but thats about as far as i can help you.

#3 ·
The OEM sidescoops are $88 each from Tousley; they're ready to paint. You'll have to check what a local shop will charge you to paint them.

I was lucky in that our plant had Kona Blue in its colour palette so it didn't cost me anything but my time.

#4 ·
This is the best way to go. It worked out great for me. I bought them from the ford tech that were take offs for $120 painted and installed.

#5 ·
Went all the way - warranty now applies

Well, I was clearly underwhelmed by the sheer lack of responses to my posting, and thanks to the 3 guys that did bother. Anyway, after weighing the pros and cons, I decided to have the dealer do all the work. For about $400, they installed OEM parts, used OEM paint to match, and now the parts are covered under the 3-yr/36k miles warranty.

A couple hundred bucks buys me peace of mind, and parts that really match. After dropping 35k on the car (oh, I got discounts), I'm not half-assing anything, guys. :nono:

I'll post picks once I get my calipers painted (bright silver). :shiny:

Thoughts ?

#7 ·
Yep, I did OEM for the hood & side scoops, put on by the dealer at time of delivery.

#9 ·
So what happens if the side scoops make your car go so fast that the 3m tape won't hold? Do they have a "forever" bolt-in type method? :)

#10 ·
Here they are, check 'em out

Comments, anyone ? I do love the look.

Attachments

#11 ·
Comments, anyone ? I do love the look.
Looks good, I also plan to add side scoops and the eleanor style quarter scoops. No hood scoop for me, I wouldn't mind if it came with one, but I'm not drilling holes and paying over $300 for that. I'm also doing matte black stipes. Mines Kona blue with matte black wheels, so it should blend well. Better late reply than never!

#12 · (Edited)
I have the 3D Carbon Side scoops on mine. The dealer I ordered the car from told me those are the one he orders since they are cheaper. I happen to be a big fan of 3D Carbon because they have an existing relationship with Ford and have all the paint codes. I ordered the side scoops, the GT500 Spoiler and the lower rear fascia from them, all pre-painted, and they matched wonderfully to the Lava Red. You wouldn't know they were aftermarket at all.

#15 ·
love it...

Check it out..

#17 ·
say what, junior ??

Not everything that's attached to my 5.0 is 'functional' from a purely powerplant production perspective, rex. The only thing taped are the window louvers.

My side scoops are bolted on. My hood scoop looks damned good. If you decide to call my additions junk, that's your choice. But don't count on me, or anyone else losing sleep on your 'thought'.

Try to add to the conversation, if possible, kid.

#19 ·
no feeding the stinking trolls please

#21 ·
It looks good. I just have a hard time adding non functional body parts to my ride. I would add the side scoops IF they actually had a brake vent kit to make them functional. But I like the look. It's just not worth the cost to me for visual add ons.

#22 ·
It looks good from a distance, but close up I HATE the black plastic inserts that scream "This is a nonfunctional piece". I went with the MMD side scoops from AM. They are open in the front and have a cutout "channel" in the back that is hidden where it mounts to the car, but lets the air pass through them so they don't get ripped off by the wind. The pre-painting was a dead on match as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.