My MT-82 Transmission Update - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I think the only way to settle any of this would be for one guy that has a "butter smooth" shifting MT82 to drive a guys that has a "notching, grinding, lock out" one and see if they have the same opinion.

Would the notchy driver say the "butter smooths" car was notchy? Things that make you go hmmmm

Btw my car shifts good! lol sorry had to throw that in there

Choate, you are not that far from me, I don't need to drive your car, I know what buttery smooth is, my car was perfect for 10k miles, if you want to drive my car, it's an open invitation, and I won't hold the fact that yours is perfect against you, it's not your fault yours is perfect, but also remember, for some of us with issues it's not our fault.

For anyone else in the Indy Area, I will be in town from 8PM saturday night-5PM sunday. If you want to drive a JUNK MT82, shoot me a PM. I'll be on the NW side of town, near INtech Park(465&71st) Saturday Night, and at BDHS Sunday(son is a wrestler and he qualified for State, "Proud Dad Plug").

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

I also offer my car (again) to anyone in Santa Clara county that would like to take a drive in mine.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Desert50, this is not the first time others stated that Ford should come after me for, libel, slander, defamation of character or what not. The truth is that the truth hurts, yes it hurts me(financially and loss of enjoyment), but it hurts FOMOCO more because they just might have more to lose than I do.

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Desert50, this is not the first time others stated that Ford should come after me for, libel, slander, defamation of character or what not. The truth is that the truth hurts, yes it hurts me(financially and loss of enjoyment), but it hurts FOMOCO more because they just might have more to lose than I do.
Maybe ford will file a class action lawsuit against all it's customers having problems with their cars for slander

But seriously, let's not give them any more ideas

And as soon as I get my Mustang back from the service department I'll offer mine up to anybody that wants to see what a faulty transmission shifts like.
post #80 of 254 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I’m headed over to the dealer this morning to discuss swapping mine out for an auto – I’m willing to trade some performance and fun for daily frustration. I just keep asking myself what’s it going to be like at 10K or 30K miles? The dealer seems much more concerned about my satisfaction than Ford. In my humble opinion for Ford to try and sell us on this just being a “notchy” trans is really short sighted – if your car stalls all the time what are they going to say? – “It’s just a quirky ignition”. I appreciate all the comments both pro and con – with the exception of Bryce – He’s just an annoying little twit that probably lives with his mother and wishes he owned a Mustang.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
He’s just an annoying little twit that probably lives with his mother and wishes he owned a Mustang.
Good luck Harvey..........

Aaron S.

Gone but not forgotten

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

When I recently purchased my GT I settled on an automatic for 2 reasons. First, were the complaints about the shift lock, grinding and noise on the MT82. Second, my 06' pony developed all those symptoms with it's T-5 at 90,000 miles and the joy-factor diminished slightly. I can't imagine having those issue shortly after driving off the lot in a new car.

So I sympathize for those that have the issues with the MT82. While the auto in my 2012 is trouble free, i admit that it is not as engaging to drive as a manual.

At some point Ford will get the hint that disrespecting the Mustang with a Chinese built MT-82 is one reason there are Camaro owners.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Rookie

How many people in here with transmission problems power shifted their cars? And then how many never ever power shifted but still have problems? This was usually the culprit with the T5s on the old fox body. Most manual gear box are not conducive to power shifting and soon or later they start to fai.

2012 Mustang GT (MT82/Bone Stock/SGM)
1986 Mustang GT (Original Owner/Jalapeno Red)
GT Member

We're still suck on where it's built/assemble at what joke use some common sense. When you say that crap and then say made in USA is better just shows how stupid you are. So many things built and made here that fail everyday.

2 poeple in local mustang club keep saying 2nd gear lockout on there car. Amazing I drive it shifts just fine excuse they trans not cold. Made HUGH mistake let them drive mine guess what can't find gears.
GT Member

Wouldn't trade mine for yours in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
I’m headed over to the dealer this morning to discuss swapping mine out for an auto – I’m willing to trade some performance and fun for daily frustration. I just keep asking myself what’s it going to be like at 10K or 30K miles? The dealer seems much more concerned about my satisfaction than Ford. In my humble opinion for Ford to try and sell us on this just being a “notchy” trans is really short sighted – if your car stalls all the time what are they going to say? – “It’s just a quirky ignition”. I appreciate all the comments both pro and con – with the exception of Bryce – He’s just an annoying little twit that probably lives with his mother and wishes he owned a Mustang.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
GT Member

46tbird, your intepretation of the findings are right on. Still a few holdouts in denials here.

Still not one repot of even a bruized thumb. The 3% numbers have held up pretty well. Even thaht is a high number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Please explain why I would need an interpretation for their findings:

"There is no indication of loss of motive power or unreasonable safety risk associated with the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. This preliminary evaluation is closed."

I agree. Slanderous comments from you and others have cost Ford quite a bit in lawyer fees and have turned away potential buyers. I think they may have a better case against you than you do against them.

Keep in mind - I never said your car doesn't have a problem. I never said you weren't screwed by at least one dealer. My point is that there is a VERY vocal, pissed off minority when it comes to this subject. I wish you luck getting your issues resolved.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Apprentice

I don't power shift mine. I only let the engine do the accelerating and it clunks in 1st when i push down the clutch. It whines in 1st gear, it binds and clunks into 2nd. This is when slowly accelerating and shifting smoothly. It happens when cold and warmed up and when warmed up the tranny sounds even more sick like it's about to fail. I'm going to take it into the dealer. hopefully they will do something about it as it's under warranty. I'm scared they may not because I bought it used with 3000 miles on it. The previous owner was in his mid 40's so hopefully he knew how to drive a stick. The dealer told me he seems like the type to take care of his car, but can't trust the dealer when he's trying to sell you a car.

Sure there can be a point made that some people don't know how to drive stick properly, but from how many problems I've read about, this is way more than the few that ruin transmissions by the way they drive them. It sucks being scared that my transmission is going to fail on my new car and hearing from others that ford isn't addressing the problem.

Last edited by gohip2000; 03-10-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: add more information
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 2010GT_NC
I dunno whether the MT82 is fixed now or not, but everyone knows it's a Chinese made transmission and it has a very bad rap. Most people research cars before they buy them, this will scare off potential buyers for years with a simple Google search. I have no idea how much Ford invested for the transmission venture in China, but I think they could actually save money in the long run and sell more cars by abandoning the MT82 disaster and going back to Tremec which knows their transmissions a little better. The actual failure rate of the MT82 must not be that bad, or surely there would be more talk of a change. Ford believes the transmissions is fine now. If I really wanted a car with Asian parts, I'd buy a Kia. Looks like my next Mustang will be an auto.
GT Member

You really think the transmission is the only part made in China???

What "american" car without asian parts are you thinking about buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GT_NC View Post
I dunno whether the MT82 is fixed now or not, but everyone knows it's a Chinese made transmission and it has a very bad rap. Most people research cars before they buy them, this will scare off potential buyers for years with a simple Google search. I have no idea how much Ford invested for the transmission venture in China, but I think they could actually save money in the long run and sell more cars by abandoning the MT82 disaster and going back to Tremec which knows their transmissions a little better. The actual failure rate of the MT82 must not be that bad, or surely there would be more talk of a change. Ford believes the transmissions is fine now. If I really wanted a car with Asian parts, I'd buy a Kia. Looks like my next Mustang will be an auto.

Bryce
---------
post #90 of 254 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Good luck Harvey..........
It turns out that my dealer’s concern wasn’t all the sincere when we got down to dollars and cents. The upgrade to an automatic is about $1200 – so a reasonable deal would be I give him my defective car and $1200 and he gives me a replacement. His offer was my car and $8300 – not going to happen. I really didn’t want to get my law firm involved but it looks like this is where it’s headed.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page