My MT-82 Transmission Update - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake74 View Post
The MT82 in my boss works great.I have launched the car at 5000 rpm's twice and one 6500 rpm launch on slicks at the drag strip and it's smooth as silk.If people think the mt82 is weak think back to the T-5 days and the mt82 will seem perfect.
jake the problem is that alot of people that got the 2011 gt never had a mustang before so they dont know how far the mustang has improved. this is the reason that i said that this is my favorite transmission ford ever put in a mustang. the t56 is strong but no where near as quiet and smooth as the mt82. and well the 3650 was just crap. i blew third gear on my mach 1 3650 with 20,000 miles. the t5 was garbage also.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
jake the problem is that alot of people that got the 2011 gt never had a mustang before so they dont know how far the mustang has improved. this is the reason that i said that this is my favorite transmission ford ever put in a mustang. the t56 is strong but no where near as quiet and smooth as the mt82. and well the 3650 was just crap. i blew third gear on my mach 1 3650 with 20,000 miles. the t5 was garbage also.
Surprise! It's not just GT's with problems.

2011 v6 PP Race Red
Flowmaster Super 44's
K&N Drop In
3.73 Rear End
Axle Exchange Driveshaft
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnagy75 View Post
Surprise! It's not just GT's with problems.
well i ment to say mustang in general. the v6 shares the same drivetrain as the gt. the transmission at least.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.

GT Member

Quote:
well i ment to say mustang in general. the v6 shares the same drivetrain as the gt. the transmission at least.
Some of us have a 2010 and a 2011 GT year model and can compare any day of the week; the 2010 is solid.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
GT Member

And we have to remember that it's a mustang.....

I'm happy that the roof is still on and isn't rusting yet.

Quote:

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Banned

Quote:
The MT82 in my boss works great.I have launched the car at 5000 rpm's twice and one 6500 rpm launch on slicks at the drag strip and it's smooth as silk.If people think the mt82 is weak think back to the T-5 days and the mt82 will seem perfect.
6500 rpm launch with slicks? This can be hazardous to more than the transmission...
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I had Matt. He was good. They gave me a good price. I actually live near STL but I come home 4 or 5 times or more a year but next time I'm around I'd like to see your car. I know several of them over there too and I've got nothing bad to say. I was just wondering what they were saying about your transmission..

Good ol' HOSS, great guy! I haven't been there for service, not a big fan of the owners, but the managers and sales staff is made up of a great group of guys. I'm at the point where I refuse to drop my car off at any dealership unless there is a plan of action with a Master Tech that KNOWS first off, how a car is supposed to drive, and second off, how to fix a car properly. I advised Ford of this as well as Dyesha, they can contact me if they want to look at my car(have not heard a word from anyone in over a year), I might just give Expressway a call and leave my car with them for 2 weeks while I go on vacation, and I might not.....

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Apprentice

HELLO ALL, Long time reader here and First time poster. First off I am sorry for those of you who are having issues with your tyranny's. I would like to share with you my chronicles of the MT-82. I have a 2012 GT (5000 miles) that has all the same transmission issues that are below and for some folks here.....

WHEN COLD:
1-2 notchiness or grind when cold.
REMEDY: I can get around this problem by doing the 1-4 shift or starting out in 2nd if 1st locks me out at a stop. IF some of you are forcing your shifts when cold, you are damaging your transmisson.

Lockouts in 1st and sometime 3rd or grind in 3rd.
REMEDY: start in second or skip to 4th until your transmission warms up. Mine takes about 20 Mins to warm up. If you are forcing the shifter through a locked gate you are damaging your tranny. shifting to 3rd when cold can cause a grind, simply lightly push shifter until you fell a nibble back out and repush into 3rd and it works like a charm.

Turning left and shifting while into the turn grinds:
This happens when cold or hot, when i turn from a stop i simply start in 2nd or do the 1-4th shift.

I had to learn how to drive this car period. Its not perfect by any means however there are a few habits i had to learn to make this car drive like I wanted it to.... First off is the shifter.

1. Do not put the palm and weight of your hand on the shifter while shifting. I noticed that when i applied more palm pressure the shifter wouldn't engage correctly.
2. Hold the shifter like a pitcher holds a baseball and try shifting with no down pressure (none at all).
3.Clutch has to be fully depressed to the floor...when cold pump clutch every so often at stop lights.

I had to learn how to drive this car as it is different than any other manual i have driven in the past, once my car warms up all the problems above go away. I still have the factory transmission oil in my car and seems to hold up just fine, no whine however i do get the clunk in the rear sometimes engaging the clutch i just try to push the clutch in smoother. I would recommend any mt-82 owner to follow my habits as this is what has appeased my fear of a bad transmission.

UH OH IT's A FIVE OH!!!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURQUE 5.0 View Post
HELLO ALL, Long time reader here and First time poster. First off I am sorry for those of you who are having issues with your tyranny's. I would like to share with you my chronicles of the MT-82. I have a 2012 GT (5000 miles) that has all the same transmission issues that are below and for some folks here.....

WHEN COLD:
1-2 notchiness or grind when cold.
REMEDY: I can get around this problem by doing the 1-4 shift or starting out in 2nd if 1st locks me out at a stop. IF some of you are forcing your shifts when cold, you are damaging your transmisson.

Lockouts in 1st and sometime 3rd or grind in 3rd.
REMEDY: start in second or skip to 4th until your transmission warms up. Mine takes about 20 Mins to warm up. If you are forcing the shifter through a locked gate you are damaging your tranny. shifting to 3rd when cold can cause a grind, simply lightly push shifter until you fell a nibble back out and repush into 3rd and it works like a charm.

Turning left and shifting while into the turn grinds:
This happens when cold or hot, when i turn from a stop i simply start in 2nd or do the 1-4th shift.

I had to learn how to drive this car period. Its not perfect by any means however there are a few habits i had to learn to make this car drive like I wanted it to.... First off is the shifter.

1. Do not put the palm and weight of your hand on the shifter while shifting. I noticed that when i applied more palm pressure the shifter wouldn't engage correctly.
2. Hold the shifter like a pitcher holds a baseball and try shifting with no down pressure (none at all).
3.Clutch has to be fully depressed to the floor...when cold pump clutch every so often at stop lights.

I had to learn how to drive this car as it is different than any other manual i have driven in the past, once my car warms up all the problems above go away. I still have the factory transmission oil in my car and seems to hold up just fine, no whine however i do get the clunk in the rear sometimes engaging the clutch i just try to push the clutch in smoother. I would recommend any mt-82 owner to follow my habits as this is what has appeased my fear of a bad transmission.
I agree with you on your observations of this tranny.. however, it is a new car... it should shift fine into EVERY gear.....

Glad you are happy driving it like so, I on the other hand am not satisfied.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
6500 rpm launch with slicks? This can be hazardous to more than the transmission...
Nah,it will take it.Here's a vid of my boss going a 7.57 in the 1/8 shifting like butter.The vid is kind of crappy but you can hear the motor singing to 6500 as I dump the clutch.
My 2012 boss goes 7.57 in the 1/8 - YouTube
Apprentice

Yeah your right it is a new car, but if you guys are trashing your transmissions before learning the tendencies of a new car then all I can say is learn how to drive it. Go to camaro5 or any other performance car website and I guaranteeing you will see the same issues. No car is perfect but every car is different that's why I believe maybe some of you are damaging your own cars before you learn the tendencies of your new cars.

UH OH IT's A FIVE OH!!!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
I agree with you on your observations of this tranny.. however, it is a new car... it should shift fine into EVERY gear.....

Glad you are happy driving it like so, I on the other hand am not satisfied.
Yeah your right it is a brand new car, but if you guys are trashing your transmissions before learning the tendencies of a new car then all I can say is learn how to drive it. Go to camaro5 or any other performance car website and I guaranteeing you will see the same issues. No car is perfect but every car is different that's why I believe maybe some of you are damaging your own cars before you learn the tendencies of your new car.

UH OH IT's A FIVE OH!!!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURQUE 5.0 View Post
Yeah your right it is a brand new car, but if you guys are trashing your transmissions before learning the tendencies of a new car then all I can say is learn how to drive it. Go to camaro5 or any other performance car website and I guaranteeing you will see the same issues. No car is perfect but every car is different that's why I believe maybe some of you are damaging your own cars before you learn the tendencies of your new car.
Look, I have a 2010 GT at home to compare it to... I understand that the 'feel' of this tranny can be different from the year before... but being unable to shift into 3rd at WOT (on all 3 of my MT82s so far) doesn't seem 'by design' to me.

Also.... what type of a car should I get used to not being able to shift while making a TURN??!!

Are you listening to yourself???

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I originally had problems hitting 3rd as the stock shifter is a pile.I bought an mgw shifter and it cured all my shifting problems but that's just me and it may not do the same for others.
GT Member

Quote:
I originally had problems hitting 3rd as the stock shifter is a pile.I bought an mgw shifter and it cured all my shifting problems but that's just me and it may not do the same for others.
I have installed a JHR bracket and shifter.. it helped, but didn't cure..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page