Ford makes changes to 2013 5.0 engine. :MAD: - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
2012GTGRINDTICK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Mesa
Posts: 82
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
I first reported my "ignitor tick" on this forum in (about) August 2010. During my one year ordeal, I said numerous times that I thought they rushed this engine to production.

I literally had to sue to get a new engine. Now that I have a new engine, I like my car and I'm beginning to fix it up. But, based on my experience with Ford, and those reported on the forums by other members, I will NOT be buying another Ford anytime soon.

All that said, I don't blame them for making improvements. I blame them for leaving their customers out to dry.
Amen. Ive been hanging to dry, thru 3 new engines. For lack of Oil, and excessive oil consumption. Wish I could get a rain check for a 2013 engine ahahahahah

2012GTGRINDTICK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Asphalt Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 6,960
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
lol why would it be depressing that you drive a 400+ hp car that performs as well as an E9x M3? You really gotta learn to appreciate what you got man. I spent the last two weeks of my life driving in a 90hp Opel on horrible roads in Europe. First thing I did when I landed back in the U.S., is get in my GT, and head to In-n-Out. Go rent an Aveo for a few days :-)
hahaha; love it!



2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Asphalt Cowboy is offline  
GT Member
 
mallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 1,104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
theyve known the entire time, for Ford all of us that have tuned our cars were $$$$ signs to their bottom line, Ive loved Mustangs for as long as I can remember but I gotta say Ford is a scum bag corporation imo, this #8 piston fiasco, mt82 issues, and the denied warranties have really made me not like Ford at all
I dont understand what your issue is. Are you saying your angry at Ford for making an engine that can be easily damaged if tuned? Ive not heard much about the #8 piston going on nontuned cars. Ive heard a few things,but nothing that makes me think its widespread if it happens at all at a rate any higher than other problems. Ford is under no obligation whatsoever to make an engine that can be easily tuned for more power. None at all. If you wanted a car that could be easily and safely tuned,and there was an issue with the one you bought that prevents that,then you bought the wrong car and should have done more research.
I admit,Ive heard of a few warranties voided that sound like BS. On the other hand,if you tuned your car,and you blew cylinder 8,its your fault. You took the risk. You rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.
As for oil burning,I have no problem with that. My cylinder 8 is just fine too. They may well have improved the design to avoid some of those problems and improve reliability,but they are under no obligation to upgrade every ones car. Your always free to trade yours in on a 13. Funny thing is,like most car companies,Ford makes money by selling people new cars,not upgrading every single one they sold over the last 10 years with all the new features they spent R&D money developing.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!


2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
mallen is offline  
 
GT Member
 
mallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 1,104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
I've got to say I agree with you 100% I'm pretty pi$$ed at ford right now and probably won't be buying another ford product for a long time. I really like my car and have invested lots of money and time into it. I'm not going to get rid of it because ford is a scumbag company right now, but I will not be buying a new car from them anytime soon.
So if your keeping your car because you invested so much money in it,presumably its running well. If it was not,no matter how much money you had in it,I assume you would be smart enough to get out before you lose even MORE to depreciation,because a car that does not run and just sits there in the drive way is not much good.

If it runs good,why are you upset with Ford? If it does not run properly,why are you keeping it.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!


2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
mallen is offline  
GT Member
 
mallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 1,104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
I think the main issue of concern is that if the real problem lies in the quality of the 2011-12 design, then those who do tune and are blowing #8 should be covered by Ford; and not the owner, or folks who have gone with AM.
How do you figure that? If untuned cars dont blow cylinder 8,and tuned ones do,then yea,maybe its the design,in that the design cant handle being tuned. Lets assume however that even stock engines blow cylinder 8. (I have not heard enough to think this is true,but lets assume that) If it blows cylinder 8 sometimes even stock,if you tune it it certainly will. If the engine already had a weak link,why should they pay to fix it if you hammered on it until it broke. Your argument might be "maybe it would have gone anyway",but theirs is,"it probably would have been fine,but if it was not,we would have taken care of it for you,but you made it a certainty" Theres just no way they are going to pay for something you broke. Think about it this way. The hinges on my laptop screen are rather weak. Many users have them break on them and have to send it in for warranty. Suppose now I send it in with a broken hinge,but the whole case is just beat to ****. They are going to deny the warranty because it was abused. The hinges break all the time,that much is true. However,when abused my lap top,the weakest link broke. Its not Dells responsibility to fix things I caused,or even helped along,even if they sometimes happen under normal usage.

Of course the weakest part breaks if you abuse it.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!


2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
mallen is offline  
Apprentice
 
Taskiss's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: O'Fallon
Posts: 147
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglt View Post
Every time I start to really enjoy my car a thread like this depresses the crap out of me.
Spend more time driving and less time reading about the impending apocalypse.

That should take care of everything.
Taskiss is offline  
GT Member
 
mallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 1,104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 5.0 View Post
+1, Not to mention people here are acting like Ford is now including the goose that lays golden eggs in the 2013 models. If people here would have consistent thought and keep with their "Ford is cheap" concept they would most likely come to the real reason in that Ford found a way to produce the same result at less expense or for that matter they found it to be over kill. So is Ford the only company on the planet that is trying to cut expenses from manufacturing their products? Don't think so.
That only comes with the Brembo models,but it **** all over my trunk and tore up the wiring to the tail lights. Then Ford first tried to deny my warranty because they said that it was supposed to come with a duck,not a goose. I showed them the window sticker,where it clearly said "Golden egg laying goose",then they tried to say I didn't perform the proper maintenance because I was supposed to let the goose out for a walk every day. I showed them the part in the manual where it specifically said that I didn't have to walk the goose until the information display on the dash told me to,and it hand not told me to yet. They acted like they were going to fix it,but when I got the car back,they had not,they just re-flashed the GCM to fix the display that never told me to let the goose out for a walk,and told me the goose was a wear item and not covered under warranty.

I PM'd Deysha and told her that they refused my warranty based on the goose being a wear item,but the goose was fine,it was the damage CAUSED by the goose,due to being locked in a trunk and never let out due to the faulty information display. She told asked me to send her my VIN,the goose,and all the golden eggs and she would escalate it. 3 weeks later and no response from Ford at all. I called Ford customer service and they said that Deysha gave her 2 weeks notice 3 weeks ago,and last week moved to the Bahamas. Now I have a Mustang with a **** covered trunk,no tail lights,Deyshas living it up with my goose,and I don't even have any golden eggs to sell to get my car fixed,and today,I got a letter in the mail from the IRS telling me I have to pay taxes on all those golden eggs that I no longer even have. I'm never buying a Ford again!

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!


2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
mallen is offline  
GT Member
 
brycerichert's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 2,477
 
Yes... this makes a lot of sense.... pay for all the engines that people tune and blow.

How will they have any money left over to replace the 5th transmission?

Finance 101 has to begin somewhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
I think the main issue of concern is that if the real problem lies in the quality of the 2011-12 design, then those who do tune and are blowing #8 should be covered by Ford; and not the owner, or folks who have gone with AM.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
brycerichert is offline  
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
mnstr50's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 205
 
Just my .2 cents; I invested my hard earned money into a Ford porduct because I appreciated the fact that they management the company well enough NOT TO take the "easy out" that chevy and Dodge took. After all, it was GM's internal reckless management that collapsed the company.

With that said, I'm proud to own my Ford, and I would hope (under normal conditions) they will support any premature failures.

(I got rid of my Corvette for one, after all).

2012 BLK/BLK GT (base), Brembo, spoiler delete, tape delete, 3.73:1.

Dynomax cat-back, Jegs cat-delete, JLT catch can, BMR relo brackets, UPR UCA w/bracket, UPR LCA, Barton 2-post, Boss intake, sound tube delete, FRPP 47# injectors, AED E85 tune (pending) .

Eibach Sportline springs, Boss 302 front facia w/ spliter, Roush side spliters, Boss rear facia. 55D Brembo spacers, AM grill insert.
mnstr50 is offline  
GT Member
 
brycerichert's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 2,477
 
Funny.. I'm not proud at all, but like the car. I'm just glad they didn't put one of those blue oval Ford emblems anywhere on the car. That alone would have made it look crappy... well, that and the uaw sticker they had in the back window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstr50 View Post
Just my .2 cents; I invested my hard earned money into a Ford porduct because I appreciated the fact that they management the company well enough NOT TO take the "easy out" that chevy and Dodge took. After all, it was GM's internal reckless management that collapsed the company.

With that said, I'm proud to own my Ford, and I would hope (under normal conditions) they will support any premature failures.

(I got rid of my Corvette for one, after all).

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
brycerichert is offline  
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Pete Grimaldi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 1,160
           
Ford made improvements to the 4.6 from 1996 to 2010. Should they have left the engine set up like the 1996 engine for all of those years? And you can justify your anger if you want, but when you modify, or increase power on any vehicle, that includes the Camaro, Challenger, Corvette, etc. your probability for mechanical failure increases.

I highly doubt that any other manufacturer would honor warranties if their vehicles were modified. You guys think that it's just Ford? And if you think that a modification has to directly relate to the failure, you are sadly mistaken. Any drivetrain modification can be viewed as violating the warranty, whether it caused it or not.

Some guys on this site spend as much money as it would take to replace the entire engine on modifications, yet don't think that all that compromises anything. This isn't anything new. You just think it is because you haven't seen it before. Owning my seventh Mustang GT, I have seen these same issues since 1986. Mechanical problems after modification, and expect the manufacturer to comply. It's not going to happen.

Of course some people have legitimate problems, but many want their decisions to modify covered under these warranties. You might want to go back and read all of the warranty information before you think that they are wrong and you are right.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Pete Grimaldi is offline  
Apprentice
 
mrgtx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central
Posts: 229
 
So I think the upset that people are expressing is not because Ford has improved their product to be superior to the one we all invested in...but that it addresses a problem that we as a community suspected these engines had and validates our concerns that a design aspect of the engine might be inadequate.

I'm not sure that this is the case...but I understand that feeling.

Yeah, I'm slightly bummed that all of 2013s out there will have better motors but this is how I look at it- I love my 2011... the bodystyle really appeals to me and it drives extremely well. There's a very good chance that I will keep this car long enough to consider swapping out the motor someday so any evolution of the Coyote will only benefit ME down the road.
mrgtx is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
kn7671's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Arlington
Posts: 826
 
You guys are all jumping the gun on the 2013 engine changes.

What if it turns out that the piston and oil squirter changes make the engine less reliable once people start getting their hands on them?

I tell you what you're gonna do, you're going to be reading some ahole's thread complaining that they wish they had the 2011-12 engine instead.

Something just like this reared it's ugly head back towards the end of the Fox body Mustang. 1992 I think, when Ford switched from the standard Forged Pistons in the 1987-91 Mustang 5.0 over to Hypereutectic Pistons. On the surface, not much difference, but the people that had been installing NOS kits in all the 1987-91 models were suddenly finding themselves burning holes in pistons, since the new Hypereutectic Piston engines could not handle it.

I think the reason for the change, from Ford perspective, was to reduce oil consumption and increase engine longevity. Hmmm....

New is not always better. :yelpleased:

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
kn7671 is offline  
PONY Member
 
JCTurbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Flemington
Posts: 277
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
You guys are all jumping the gun on the 2013 engine changes.

What if it turns out that the piston and oil squirter changes make the engine less reliable once people start getting their hands on them?

I tell you what you're gonna do, you're going to be reading some ahole's thread complaining that they wish they had the 2011-12 engine instead.

Something just like this reared it's ugly head back towards the end of the Fox body Mustang. 1992 I think, when Ford switched from the standard Forged Pistons in the 1987-91 Mustang 5.0 over to Hypereutectic Pistons. On the surface, not much difference, but the people that had been installing NOS kits in all the 1987-91 models were suddenly finding themselves burning holes in pistons, since the new Hypereutectic Piston engines could not handle it.

I think the reason for the change, from Ford perspective, was to reduce oil consumption and increase engine longevity. Hmmm....

New is not always better. :yelpleased:
Agreed.

Another thing...Given, it sounds like Ford is trying to reduce oil consumption (a common complaint) so they dropped the squirters. The result of this would be less cooling to the pistons, right? Now there is a slightly higher risk of detonation due to the possibility of higher temps. To counter that, they add a more intense heat treatment to the pistons to make them stronger and harder to ensure they dont break before the end of the warranty period and then some. This would solve the oil consumption issue. The #8 is not really of fords concern based on what i've been reading here. The stock car doesnt have the issue. This is probably the thinking behind the modifications.

Now, I ask, do you really want those new pistons? I, for one, will gladly keep my '12 setup. I'll trade burning a little oil for additional cooling. Im sure the oil burning was accounted for in the design which is why we have an 8qt sump.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
JCTurbo is offline  
Apprentice
 
Implosive's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Davie
Posts: 171
 
I agree with the last two posters. These changes aren't going to do anything for the number 8 issues. #8 is the hottest spot on fords motors this was shown a lot on the terminators and the 4.6s Like the other guys said, these modifications could help... But they also could be to cut down some cost while "achieving" the same sort of cooling that the piston squirters provided. Ford could of simply thought "if the boss has been working fine without it, why are we wasting the $$$ on the gt's". I personally think there's no reason to be mad, especially me already being supercharged, I much rather have the extra cooling from the squirters


Edelbrock 1588 supercharger w/ competition intake & Custom BBR tune 542rwhp/470rtq @ 5psi -- Barton shifter, bracket and shift knob -- Steeda Ultralights -- Saleen grille -- C/S Front Valence -- Custom matte black stripes -- DG custom Louvers --
Implosive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1