Ford makes changes to 2013 5.0 engine. :MAD: - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Confirmed fact with the actual folks: The change was due to a cost save, that is the main driver. The few extra HP (very very few at peak rpm) is an added benefit not the impetus of the change.

I'd rather have my 2012 with spayers if i'm stuck with cast pistons especially if we are going FI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTurbo View Post
To those that say the stock car blows the #8, please help us out and site some examples. Maybe throw out some data on the stocker that would provide evidence of a potential issue. Based on what ive seen, the stock tune doesnt knock. I understand that all engines knock once in a while; there is no "unusual" knock on the stocker from what i've seen...then again, i havent been around here that long.
I can't post any facts.. there are Ford engineers in that s197 forum (specifically the thread on this topic) that state stock cars are failing, too.. (don't beat the messenger)

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
I can't post any facts.. there are Ford engineers in that s197 forum (specifically the thread on this topic) that state stock cars are failing, too.. (don't beat the messenger)
19COBRA93 is the guy who purchased the '12 and '13 pistons to compare and seems to be leading the discussion.

-JEWC75
Quote:
There have been stock failures, ford just keeps them under wraps.
-19COBRA93
Quote:
We don't seem to be hearing from the owners of those failures... Anyone who buys a brand new car and has an engine failure is going to talk about it and make a big deal about it. Just as you know.

The facts suggest bone stock cars just aren't failing like you want everyone to think. We know of what, two confirmed? I'll bet there have been more engine failures in the new focuses. That's a pretty low number, and doesn't suggest a major problem. Sure there may be others, but assuming that proves nothing, as it's just speculation.
I have no doubt there are a few bone stock cars with engine failures, that would be considered normal for any car otherwise techs like me would never be replacing them. However, to say cyl #8s are failing on stock cars like it's a pandemic is simply immature and points more to a personal distrust for Ford than factual observance.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
However, to say cyl #8s are failing on stock cars like it's a pandemic is simply immature and points more to a personal distrust for Ford than factual observance.
It's not like it's a pandemic on modded cars either.

Ford sold 21,295 GT 5.0 Mustangs in 2011 and probably a similar number in 2012. A substantial percentage of those are modded and a tune is often one of the first mods. How many documented #8 failures are there? A dozen or so? That's an extremely low failure rate.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
It's not like it's a pandemic on modded cars either.

Ford sold 21,295 GT 5.0 Mustangs in 2011 and probably a similar number in 2012. A substantial percentage of those are modded and a tune is often one of the first mods. How many documented #8 failures are there? A dozen or so? That's an extremely low failure rate.
THIS!! How many modded cars can we confirm have lost #8 cylinders? Three or so iirc, hardly even worth worrying about, especially when the tuner who had the most issue with it owned up, paid for the repairs, revised their tune AND issued a warranty to everyone who has their tune. Making a mountain out of a molehill here IMO.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmonay View Post
I would commit seppuku before I sold my 5.0 for a toyota; I'd rather die an honorable death than die of boredom driving to work every day!
Americans dont commit seppuku,we either man up and deal with it,or suck start our shotguns.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
THIS!! How many modded cars can we confirm have lost #8 cylinders? Three or so iirc, hardly even worth worrying about, especially when the tuner who had the most issue with it owned up, paid for the repairs, revised their tune AND issued a warranty to everyone who has their tune. Making a mountain out of a molehill here IMO.
Couldn't agree more!

2014 GT A6 - Stage 2 D1 Procharger, E85, JPC return style fuel system, ID1000s, BMR UCA/LCA/Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Streets, AMR 19s w/ 305 nittos
2011 GT M6 651rwhp/518rwtq - Sold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKonaGT View Post
Couldn't agree more!
+1. I'm not gonna worry about it. Failure rate is insignificant compared to total number of cars out there even if it were not related to a bad tune.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
Confirmed fact with the actual folks: The change was due to a cost save, that is the main driver. The few extra HP (very very few at peak rpm) is an added benefit not the impetus of the change.

I'd rather have my 2012 with spayers if i'm stuck with cast pistons especially if we are going FI.
So there you go and as I originally suspected. I'm a retired manufacturing engineer and I can assure everyone that the piston mods (coating,etc.) are significantly less expensive than machining, assembling, installing the oil squirters (+ the cost of obtaining the squirters themselves from a supplier - assuming Ford doesn't make them).

I'm sure the engineer at Ford who thought of this got a big "atta boy/girl" in his/her yearly performance appraisal and part of their compensation increase was based on this savings. That is how it worked for me.
GT Member

You are full of crap.

Post it up.... even one.

And don't use the "friend of a cousin of and sisters' buddy" thing.

Quote:
Glad I read all of the posts before I replied...

Yes, for those who want to argue, there HAVE been failed #8s on stock cars. Period.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
GT Member

You are spiraling down the hole...

Here... god exists, do your own research.... The Bible.

Are you serious??????

There isn't even a confirmed case on that site anywhere!!! If you want to do the biblical thing... post up the actual link to something.... anything...

Quote:
I am not sure if there is a link in this thread, but there are many involved people in this one who would agree; do your own research: WWW.S197FORUM.COM

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I remember going iinto dealer service departments in the hey day of the muscle car era in the late 60's early 70's. They built some powerful, well engineered engines in those days. But you think some of them didnt blow up ? I remember looking at a disassembled 454 out on the floor in front of a 70 Chevelle SS. The crank joiurnals, main and rod bearings were torn to rat #^$%. As strong as some of these engines were, some failed. Racing, powershifting, bolting on slicks etc etc . Many of these cars as are currently built Mustangs were pushed to their limits. Some without even a proper break in. Things break, mechanical parts fail. As well as those engines and our Mustang engines are built &$%3# happens. In the case of the no. 8 failures, I have no idea how many are failing. Reading forums are not the facts. True, every engine ever built has weak points. The factory cannot put blueprinted hand built Nascar engines in every production car. Well yes they could, but but not for current cost. Maybe trhere is a weak spot in the 5.0 with regards to cooling, air/ fuel distribution etc. I havent seen many engines with perfect cooling and air fuel distribution. Evern Pro stock engines arent perfect.
As has been said, with the number of cars built, this is definately not an epedemic, pandemic or anything else other than once a car leaves the factory the company has no control over where the customer gets gas, how he/ she drives the car, when the oil is changed, how many snow banks a driver tries to get out of while revving the beegeevers out of a cold engine. Or, whether or not an owner bolts on a set of slicks and heads right for the drag strip.
For those encountering legitimate problems with their cars, Im not trying to minimize anything. But I think continuously trying to provoke fear by always assuming the worst, looking for the worst or hoping for the worst doesnt do anyone any good. My .02.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
I remember going iinto dealer service departments in the hey day of the muscle car era in the late 60's early 70's. They built some powerful, well engineered engines in those days. But you think some of them didnt blow up ? I remember looking at a disassembled 454 out on the floor in front of a 70 Chevelle SS. The crank joiurnals, main and rod bearings were torn to rat #^$%. As strong as some of these engines were, some failed. Racing, powershifting, bolting on slicks etc etc . Many of these cars as are currently built Mustangs were pushed to their limits. Some without even a proper break in. Things break, mechanical parts fail. As well as those engines and our Mustang engines are built &$%3# happens. In the case of the no. 8 failures, I have no idea how many are failing. Reading forums are not the facts. True, every engine ever built has weak points. The factory cannot put blueprinted hand built Nascar engines in every production car. Well yes they could, but but not for current cost. Maybe trhere is a weak spot in the 5.0 with regards to cooling, air/ fuel distribution etc. I havent seen many engines with perfect cooling and air fuel distribution. Evern Pro stock engines arent perfect.
As has been said, with the number of cars built, this is definately not an epedemic, pandemic or anything else other than once a car leaves the factory the company has no control over where the customer gets gas, how he/ she drives the car, when the oil is changed, how many snow banks a driver tries to get out of while revving the beegeevers out of a cold engine. Or, whether or not an owner bolts on a set of slicks and heads right for the drag strip.
For those encountering legitimate problems with their cars, Im not trying to minimize anything. But I think continuously trying to provoke fear by always assuming the worst, looking for the worst or hoping for the worst doesnt do anyone any good. My .02.
I couldn't agree more.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
GT Member

There is NOT a Ford engineer on the s197 forum who states that stock GT #8 cylinders are failing.

This is a lie.

You need to quit spreading misinformation like this.

A messenger of known lies can be beat... you donít even have a plausible deniability defense here.

Quote:

Bryce
---------
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
There is NOT a Ford engineer on the s197 forum who states that stock GT #8 cylinders are failing.

This is a lie.

You need to quit spreading misinformation like this.

A messenger of known lies can be beat... you donít even have a plausible deniability defense here.
I spoke with some Ford engineers about this yesterday. Its just a simple cost save removing the sprayers and the extra 3-5HP is not even really proven its just statistical. I didn't push to find out if it was better or worse for oil consumption, f.i. applications, or #8 durability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page