Rear Brembo Brake upgrade? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
It might run a little cooler,but isnt most of it cosmetic if it uses the same caliper?
Not necessarily. Even with the same caliper, I believe since the rotor is larger, you're getting more leverage than with the smaller rotor. When I had my WRX, one of the upgrades was to use the caliper bracket and rotor from a certain model year Legacy but still retaining the original caliper. I noticed a definite difference in braking...instead of the nose diving, the whole car kind of just sat down.

Performance White 2011 GT Premium, Brembos, 3.73 gears
Hushpower axlebacks, FRPP P springs, Barton shifter bracket, Barton white shift knob, CHE lower control arms, CHE adjustable panhard bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Steeda has a 13" rear brake rotor kit, uses the stock calipers, SS braided lines, new 13" rotors, and aluminum caliper brackets, all for $539.

Steeda 13" Rear Brake Upgrade Kit for 2005 and Up Ford Mustang 555-6007 555-6009
I know some guys have installed these on here; to me they seem like a lot of work to install (you have to pull the axle-shafts to install the brackets so that means pulling the diff cover and unclipping them so that means new diff fluid, etc.) For that much trouble I'd at least like to see the calipers match the fronts ....

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

+1 on rear Brembos, apparently even the new 2013 Shelby GT500 doesn't have them on the rear; unbelievable...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
I know some guys have installed these on here; to me they seem like a lot of work to install (you have to pull the axle-shafts to install the brackets so that means pulling the diff cover and unclipping them so that means new diff fluid, etc.) For that much trouble I'd at least like to see the calipers match the fronts ....
^^^ This -- I believe that a lot of folks who are simply looking to increase the rear rotor size are going the Baer route because their kit doesn't require a total dismantling of the rear axle.

'12 Kona GT Prem,6MT,Brembo,3.73,Glass roof,comf. pkg,HID,Nav,Steeda Tri-ax,JHR:shift brckt,mtr mounts&clutch line;Airaid CAI/BAMA tune,Redline MTL,JLT Oil Sep(both sides),Eibach Pro-kit/Koni Sports,Steeda:HD strut mounts,adj front swaybar&billet mounts,rear swaybar&endlinks,X11 ball joints,bumpsteer kit,Watt's link,adj UCA/ mount;Spohn del-sphere/poly adj LCAs,BMR LCA relo brckt,FRPP jounce bmprs,Forgestar F14 Matte Black 19x9/19x11,Michelin Pilot SS 255/40/19//295/35/19,Borla S Catback,more
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
+1 on rear Brembos, apparently even the new 2013 Shelby GT500 doesn't have them on the rear; unbelievable...
You can't put a fixed-piston caliper like the front Brembos on a live rear axle without converting it to full-floating. That's why they use a slider, aside from the fact that the sliders work just fine in this application. You'll never fade your rear brakes. Or rather, by the time you're at a level where you can, you'll have gone to a different caliper just for pad compound choices.

2012 GT Brembo, minor modifications: Daily
'99 Ford 7.3L diesel: tow vehicle
Radical PR6, 275BHP/480kg: weekend toy
Three and a half formula fords that I'll fix one day
lots of spare parts
Autocross nutcase.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
Heck, even if it was just for cosmetic purposes I'd give it a thumbs up. The rotors on the back are pretty pathetic looking. They'd look ok with 16-17" wheels.
Agreed! Expecially on the 19 inch rims...

2012 Mustang GT "RS1" Roush Stage 1 // Brembo Brake Package // 3.73 Limited Slip Rear // HID and Security Package // 6-Speed MT-82 Transmission

Future Project Car: 1995 BMW E36 325i 4dr // Sports Package // All Season Traction // Leather // Heated Seats and Mirrors // Automatic Transmission
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
Remember if you Chang the rear brakes to a bigger caliper you also have to change the brake proportioning valve.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I'm glad someone mentioned that.

'11 GT
GT Member

There is no proportioning valve so not sure are you being facetious?

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
Baer makes system that floats the axle so that the hub is fixed this allows the use of a none floating four pot caliper. I made my own system that floats the Brembo mono block four pot caliper so it works fine. I also used the 14" Baer rotors.

That is an awesome set up!!!!! Im trying to do the same set up as well.. Where did you get the small e-brake caliper from?
Rookie

Anyone else know where to buy some spot parking calipers??
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
There is no proportioning valve so not sure are you being facetious?
Don't think he's being facetious at all. In ancient times, when missing around with brakes of old, changing the size of the rear brake drums, changing to disk brakes, etc. required an adjustable proportioning valve to stop the rear brakes from locking up prematurely.

So in the computer age/anti-lock brake age, not sure what would repercussions would be.

I'm tired of shows about vampires. I want to see killer umpires!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot_Trainer View Post
Don't think he's being facetious at all. In ancient times, when missing around with brakes of old, changing the size of the rear brake drums, changing to disk brakes, etc. required an adjustable proportioning valve to stop the rear brakes from locking up prematurely.

So in the computer age/anti-lock brake age, not sure what would repercussions would be.
Not 100% but I think the new mustangs have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution which acts like a computer controlled proportioning valve.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Not 100% but I think the new mustangs have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution which acts like a computer controlled proportioning valve.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
This makes sense.

I'm tired of shows about vampires. I want to see killer umpires!
Apprentice
5.0L Member

i wish there was an easy Brembo upgrade even just for looks on the rear!

2012 Mustang GT, Lava Red Metallic, Brembo, 401A, Cashmere leather, pedestal spoiler and hoodscoop. Mods - Boss shift knob, Weathertechs, GT fender badges, Steeda Ultra-lites/Tokico's D-specs/Steeda HD mounts & phb/GT500 iso's, 20% tint, Steeda UCA, Roush Axlebacks, Bassani X-pipe, no reso's, Painted lower valances, Boss mudflaps, MMD hood struts, MGW shifter, 275/40R19 Michelin Super Sports all around, Whiteline Sways/LCA's/Brackets, Steeda CAI, Bama 93 tune.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
It might run a little cooler,but isnt most of it cosmetic if it uses the same caliper?

Not at all. If you use the same caliper on a larger rotor you have the same clamping force applied further out from center on a larger circumference so the stopping force is increased as is the cooling.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page