Rear Brembo Brake upgrade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear Brembo Brake upgrade?

I have the brembo brake package on my gt, i was wondering if there was any upgrade for the rear brakes on the market right now? Have any of you upgraded your rear brakes ?

-Matt

2012 Ingot Silver GT Premium Brembo
Flowmaster Outlaw axleback
Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
Apprentice

i would love to get a rear caliper that looked like the front brembos

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

very interested in this as well. love the looks of the front brakes now just to match the back.. i wish i could make a recommendation but im in the same boat

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

the rotors just look tiny back there as well....

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEISTI View Post
the rotors just look tiny back there as well....
Kinda need them to be that size to fit drag rims, but I wouldn't mind a caliper upgrade to match the front. I just don't think its possible with the c clip style rear axle.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

for the rear, rotors, pads and lines is all I've heard folks talking about...Baer Eradispeed rotors come to mind...other brands listed at some of the Mustang related on line shops

I think the Eradispeed rears are an optional upgrade avail on the GT350.

There are covers avail for calipers if that's your thing, and I think Bear even makes their 6S Bear claws for the rear if you want, but that's big $ and for most if not all situations, unnecessary.

Often wondered if Brembo take offs could be made to work on the rear, but no one that I've seen makes them for the rear.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Steeda has a 13" rear brake rotor kit, uses the stock calipers, SS braided lines, new 13" rotors, and aluminum caliper brackets, all for $539.

Steeda 13" Rear Brake Upgrade Kit for 2005 and Up Ford Mustang 555-6007 555-6009

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Steeda has a 13" rear brake rotor kit, uses the stock calipers, SS braided lines, new 13" rotors, and aluminum caliper brackets, all for $539.

Steeda 13" Rear Brake Upgrade Kit for 2005 and Up Ford Mustang 555-6007 555-6009
It might run a little cooler,but isnt most of it cosmetic if it uses the same caliper?

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
It might run a little cooler,but isnt most of it cosmetic if it uses the same caliper?
+1, not to mention that a majority of the stopping power comes from the front.

However I must admit the larger slotted rear rotors sure look good.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
+1, not to mention that a majority of the stopping power comes from the front.

However I must admit the larger slotted rear rotors sure look good.
unless you drive in reverse a lot:p

Base 2011 GT MT82 Black 3:31, MGW shifter w/ black shift ball, strut tower brace, boss steering wheel, JLT passanger side oil separator, roush axle back, Metra stereo adapter w/ pioneer avic-f90bt
GT Member

Baer makes system that floats the axle so that the hub is fixed this allows the use of a none floating four pot caliper. I made my own system that floats the Brembo mono block four pot caliper so it works fine. I also used the 14" Baer rotors.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

GT Member

Heck, even if it was just for cosmetic purposes I'd give it a thumbs up. The rotors on the back are pretty pathetic looking. They'd look ok with 16-17" wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
Baer makes system that floats the axle so that the hub is fixed this allows the use of a none floating four pot caliper. I made my own system that floats the Brembo mono block four pot caliper so it works fine. I also used the 14" Baer rotors.
908ssp - I sent you a pm

“If one day the speed kills me dont be sad because I will have died smiling” ― Paul Walker

2012 Boss 302 LS #404
GT Member

Remember if you Chang the rear brakes to a bigger caliper you also have to change the brake proportioning valve.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

hmmm all good advice here. I think the steeda kit looks great. An upgrade in performance would be nice, but the looks are what is bothering me

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page