2013 Mustang 5.0 now takes 5w50. - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStarKick View Post
This it true, my manual says 5w-20, but my oil cap says 5w-50... WTF...
speaking with the ford engineers there was a minor issue with documentation at the dealership on this new oil callout for the gt track pack. the 5w-50 cap is correct. not sure why.. could be due to no more piston sprayers, could be the sustained high rpm heat problem with no sprayers...

but the new oil for track pack is correct. cap is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
speaking with the ford engineers there was a minor issue with documentation at the dealership on this new oil callout for the gt track pack. the 5w-50 cap is correct. not sure why.. could be due to no more piston sprayers, could be the sustained high rpm heat problem with no sprayers...

Good info,,, thanks..

2013 Ingot Silver GT Premium 6M, Track Pack, Leather Recaros.
GT Member

Quote:

Guy on another forum has also mentioned the 5w-50 cap on the 5.0 with track pack.

I wonder if this confirms the theory that 5w-20 is only for CAFE reasons. In theory, there would be a very limited amount of track pack models, so the overall effect on Ford's mph average would be inconsequential. I just can't believe there is any mechanical differences in the engine to justify the change to 5w-50.

PONY Member

I was thinking of kicking off an internet rumor that the Track Pack engines are really Boss 302 long blocks with GT intake manifolds.

2014 GT500
PONY Member

The track pack engine is of course not a boss.. however all of the coyote engines are different this year since they dont have oil spray on the pistons.

I'll try to dig around, my guess is that w/o the cooling of the oil sprayers those cast pistons even with the coating will benefit from the thicker oil.. but with the sprayers, maybe that thicker oil created too much pressure backup, or hurt fuel economy, etc. Or it could be that durability suffers more at extreme conditions in the coyote w/o the sprayers so they needed to increase the hot viscosity. does this mean the 5w-20 013' standard gt's could stand an upgrade to 5-50 if you plan to race?

did ford secretly improve the oil pumps?

unless there is another cost saving measure i didn't know about apart from the sprayer deletes.

this may be the only good thing about the 12 vs. 13 engine, however be happy 013 guys i'd rather have the reduced windage and coated pistons with thicker oil. only the supercharged stock engine guys might miss them.
PONY Member

Quote:
The track pack engine is of course not a boss.. however all of the coyote engines are different this year since they dont have oil spray on the pistons.

I'll try to dig around, my guess is that w/o the cooling of the oil sprayers those cast pistons even with the coating will benefit from the thicker oil.. but with the sprayers, maybe that thicker oil created too much pressure backup, or hurt fuel economy, etc. Or it could be that durability suffers more at extreme conditions in the coyote w/o the sprayers so they needed to increase the hot viscosity. does this mean the 5w-20 013' standard gt's could stand an upgrade to 5-50 if you plan to race?

did ford secretly improve the oil pumps?

unless there is another cost saving measure i didn't know about apart from the sprayer deletes.

this may be the only good thing about the 12 vs. 13 engine, however be happy 013 guys i'd rather have the reduced windage and coated pistons with thicker oil. only the supercharged stock engine guys might miss them.
My understanding of the components that were affected by lube viscosity difference between the 11/12 GT engines and the Boss engines came down to two things: the cooling jets and the cam phasers. The story, as I understood it, was that too thick an oil slowed down the stock GT cam phasers so the Boss engine had modified phasers that would work properly with thicker oil.

The oil pumps were the same and all the clearances were the same, but the higher operating temperatures of the Boss engine dictated more viscosity to maintain hot idle oil pressure, and the high RPM dictated a synthetic to reduce aeration.

If the current, non-jetted, 2013 GT engines have been fitted with the Boss style cam phasers, then there's no reason not to run a thicker oil in them. Well, fuel economy might suffer a point or two, but that's all.

2014 GT500
PONY Member

Interesting, i didn't realize the cam phasers were different between boss and GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
My understanding of the components that were affected by lube viscosity difference between the 11/12 GT engines and the Boss engines came down to two things: the cooling jets and the cam phasers. The story, as I understood it, was that too thick an oil slowed down the stock GT cam phasers so the Boss engine had modified phasers that would work properly with thicker oil.

The oil pumps were the same and all the clearances were the same, but the higher operating temperatures of the Boss engine dictated more viscosity to maintain hot idle oil pressure, and the high RPM dictated a synthetic to reduce aeration.

If the current, non-jetted, 2013 GT engines have been fitted with the Boss style cam phasers, then there's no reason not to run a thicker oil in them. Well, fuel economy might suffer a point or two, but that's all.
GT Member

Still doesn't explain why the '13s with the track pack are showing 5w-50 while the non-track pack GTs are showing 5w-20 on the oil cap.
PONY Member

The thicker oil seems to be a substitute for better oil cooling, in the same way that using Mobil 1 was Chevrolet's way to avoid putting an oil cooler on every Corvette. The regular GT's don't need it, and the track pack cars only need it if you're wringing them out at the track.

I went back to check my facts on the cam phaser thing, and it turns out that it was actually the upper timing chain tensioners (not the phasers) that were changed. What's interesting is that there's a Coyote TSB to replace the original 2011 GT tensioners with the Boss units if they start making (yet another) tapping sound in service. I expect all of the 5.0 engines are made with the Boss unit now - the difference is that they have a pressure relief valve and the regular ones don't.

2014 GT500
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 5.0 View Post
Appears BLK 5.0 is what he makes fun of, and he doesn't even know it.

2011 Red Candy Metallic Mustang GT/CS 5.0 Auto FTW! 13.284 @ 107.44 (DA Corrected 12.809 @ 111.502)
PONY Member
S197 Member

Boys & girls, if Ford is telling you to use the 5W50 in your new toys, they're also telling you to use the Motorcraft 5W50; right? According to used oil tests going on for quite a while now with the GT500 guys, the Motorcraft 5W50 shears to a lighter viscosity pretty quickly. Some of the GT500 guys are actually using a higher quality synthetic in a lighter grade to start with, but one that doesn't shear as quickly, and stays closer to its intended viscosity. If interested, search some of the oil threads on SVTPerformance, Team Shelby, and Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum. Pretty sure the general consensus is that a very high quality (full true synthetic) in the 5W30 or 5W40 ranges seems to work best in the GT500s, which is supposed to use only the Motorcraft 5W50.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Maybe that explains why my new '12 has gone through a litre and a half of oil in 3700 kilometers of relatively easy driving. I was planning on dumping out the 5W20 EP crap and replacing it with a simple 10W40 to see if it reduces some of the loss.
Thats a great idea. That way,when the engine finally gives up,Ford will save a fortune becuause they will be able to void your warranty. Lets all do our part and keep Ford profitable. I like to put sand in my crankcase,no way Ford is going to shell out to fix that. Will save them a ton!

(When will people learn that finding a problem with their vehicle that is covered under warranty and trying to repair it themselves with random and ill advised fixes they read about on the internet,or just pull out of their asses,is a sure way to get stuck with expensive repair bills)

Honestly,I will use what Ford tells me until its out of warranty,then I will use what I think is best for it. Simple as that. Im not giving them excuses to stick me with a 10k repair bill.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
Rookie

The 2013 gt500 has now also added the oil cooling jets and still uses 5w50. It would be surprising if it were not the exact cooling jets off the 2011 (re-purposed parts).

I highly doubt that just by removing the oil jets from the the 2013 coyote, that it is allowed to use 5w50 oil. Its more probable that they removed it because they found a cheaper solution with the new coatings and are just saving money.

The only reason for the thicker 5w50 oil on the 2013 track pack that I think of is that it has the additional boss oil cooler on it. Thicker oils provide more protection to an engine especially when being tracked but causes higher heat within the engine and raises oil temp.
IMO, that's the trade off and since the track pack has the additional oil cooler it can handle the additional heat from the thicker 5w50 oil.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
(When will people learn that finding a problem with their vehicle that is covered under warranty and trying to repair it themselves with random and ill advised fixes they read about on the internet,or just pull out of their asses,is a sure way to get stuck with expensive repair bills)
Thank you, sooooooo much for the lecture. Without you, we would all be lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy5.0 View Post
The only reason for the thicker 5w50 oil on the 2013 track pack that I think of is that it has the additional boss oil cooler on it. Thicker oils provide more protection to an engine especially when being tracked but causes higher heat within the engine and raises oil temp.
IMO, that's the trade off and since the track pack has the additional oil cooler it can handle the additional heat from the thicker 5w50 oil.
Interesting theory. My theory continues to be that 5w-20 is only for CAFE, and the track pack cars represent such a small amount of vehicles, Ford can require 5w-50 without affecting its overall MPG average.

Alas, I will continue to run the 5w-20 just in case. Wouldn't want Mallen to yell at me.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Interesting theory. My theory continues to be that 5w-20 is only for CAFE, and the track pack cars represent such a small amount of vehicles, Ford can require 5w-50 without affecting its overall MPG average.

Alas, I will continue to run the 5w-20 just in case. Wouldn't want Mallen to yell at me.
Yea, I pretty much feel the same way about 5w20, CAFE, and the mustang GT. This is one of the only vehicles that I know that uses such a thin oil. High performance BMW's, Audis, Lexus's and most performance oriented vehicles all use a much thicker oil, even those with exhaust and intake variable cam timing. My brothers e39 M5 use to run 10W60. And that engine to me is like a replica of the coyote (except for the plenum/intake).

Heck, even Fords own performance vehicles like the Boss and the gt500 use 5w50. Now u can add the 2013 Mustang GT Track Pack to that list and it uses a freakn coyote....smh. I've always felt as if Ford switched to 5w20 from 5w30 because of CAFE but I have been somewhat reserved about it. The 2013 Track Pack is proof to me. IMO, thicker oil will protect your engine better, thinner oil will provide u with better gas mileage. And anyone that spews BS about tighter tolerances in the coyote and needing to run 5w20 are just plain ignorant after establishing that the Track Pack uses 5w50. :p

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page