Ford Mustang Forum banner

seeking an answer to a knocking sound for 2012 5.0

16K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  jamcruise 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I am new to this site and I am looking for some online suggestions to a knocking sound I have with my 2012 5.0. This video, from youtube, is not my car but has the same problem as mine. It is a better recording of the sound. I have contacted FORD on this issue and my spring break, I am a teacher and the only time I have to do this til the summer, take it in to the shop.

The mustang is stock (10,200 ish miles) and now, since I took is out from its winter slumber, is runing great! No loss of power/no smoke. My ex. tips have a very little black to them, but I guess thats normal?? The oil is very clean since I took her out for spring, 3 weeks now (before winter I had the oil changed) and the oil level is at normal.

Here is the video...

2011 Mustang 5.0 "Normal" Operation - YouTube

People have commented on the yotube page that it is an A/C belt pully?? I have noticed this sound after my first oil change. What do you guys and gals think? Thanx for your input in advance. :winks

SilverChief12
Chicago, IL.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ford has 2 tsb's out for noise concerns.

Printable View (2473 KB) TSB
12-3-1
  • 5.0L - INTERMITTENT METALLIC RATTLE OR SCRATCHING TYPE NOISE - WARM ENGINE AT IDLE
Publication Date: March 2, 2012
FORD:
2011-2012 Mustang, F-150

This article supersedes TSB 11-12-12 to update the Service Procedure and warranty causal part number. ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-150 and Mustang vehicles (excluding Boss) equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an intermittent metallic rattle or scratching type noise in the area at the front of the left hand or driver side cylinder head at idle with the engine at operating temperature.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Determine engine build date. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.
    1. If engine build date is on or before 11/10/2011, proceed to Step 2.
    2. If engine build date is on or after 11/11/2011, do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
  2. Warm the engine to operating temperature.
  3. Using a mechanic's stethoscope or EngineEAR, listen for a metallic type rattle or scratching type noise at the front of LH cylinder head.
  4. Is the noise heard in areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)

Figure 1 - Article 12-3-1

Figure 2 - Article 12-3-1
    1. Yes - Proceed to Step 5.
    2. No - This article does not apply.
  5. Remove accessory drive belt, refer to WSM, Section 303-05. Is noise still present?
    1. Yes - Proceed to Step 6.
    2. No - Replace the coolant pump. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03A.
  6. Is the noise heard in the areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)
    1. Yes - Replace the LH primary tensioner and timing chain tensioner arm using the kit part number provided in this article. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B.
    2. No - This article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
      NOTE:FAILURE TO REPLACE BOTH THE PRIMARY TENSIONER AND TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER ARM MAY RESULT IN OVERLOADING OF THE TIMING CHAIN AND UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD LEAD TO TIMING CHAIN FAILURE.
PART NUMBERPART NAMEBR3Z-6L266-AAChain Tensioner KitZC-30Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket RemoverZC-31-AMotorcraft® Metal Surface PrepTA-30Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket And SealantBR3Z-8255-AThermostat SealF1VY-8507-AWater Pump GasketBR3Z-6A340-ACrankshaft BoltBR3Z-6020-BFront Cover Gasket - LeftBR3Z-6020-CFront Cover Gasket - CenterBR3Z-6020-DFront Cover Gasket - RightBR3Z-6584-AValve Cover Gasket - LeftBR3Z-6584-DValve Cover Gasket - RightBR3Z-8620-AA/C Stretchy BeltBR3Z-8501-HWater Pump

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120301A2011-2012 F-150 5.0L: Replace The Coolant Pump Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.5 Hrs.120301A2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The Coolant Pump Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.7 Hrs.120301B2011-2012 F-150 5.0L: Replace The LH Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)5.3 Hrs.120301B2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The LH Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)5.4 Hrs.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE850142
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

#4 ·
Printable View (839 KB) TSB
12-1-10
  • 5.0L WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND A/C COMPRESSOR STRETCHY BELT CONFIGURATION - LIGHT LOWER-END ENGINE KNOCK
Publication Date: January 18, 2012
FORD:
2011-2012 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine, manual transmission and air conditioning (A/C) compressor stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light lower end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.
ACTION:

Refer to the Service Procedure to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the front end accessory drive (FEAD) and A/C compressor stretchy belt. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-05. Start engine and re-evaluate concern. Is light, lower-end engine knock still present?
    1. Yes - Do not continue with this article. Perform normal diagnostics. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00.
    2. No - Obtain Service Kit and proceed to Step 2.
  2. Remove the FEAD belt tensioner and bolt from the engine front cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05 - Exploded view.
  3. Determine the engine built date. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
    1. If the engine build date is on or before 4/15/2011, replace the engine front cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
    2. If the engine build date is after 4/15/2011, do not replace the engine front cover. Use an 8 X 1.25 mm tap to clean the mounting locations noted on the engine front cover. Use compressed air to clean any remaining debris. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 12-1-10
  4. Install A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley and A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley bolt supplied in the service kit. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft).
  5. Install A/C drive compressor belt tensioner supplied in the service kit. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft).
  6. Install new A/C compressor belt supplied in the service kit. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05, 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles, for proper belt routing. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 12-1-10
  7. Install the FEAD belt tensioner and bolt. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft). Refer to WSM, Section 303-05, FEAD - Exploded view, 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles.
  8. Install FEAD belt. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05, FEAD - Exploded view 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles.
  9. Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) and identify the vehicle. Answer the IDS screen prompts according to the current vehicle A/C belt configuration.
  10. Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) using IDS release 76.03 or later. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
  11. Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction. Select IDS Toolbox Icon, Powertrain, Service Functions, then Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction.

PART NUMBERPART NAMECR3Z-8620-AAKit-Drive Belt - BossBR3Z-8620-DAKit-Drive Belt - GTBR3Z-6019-GFront CoverXW4Z-6700-ACrankshaft Seal - Front

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120110A2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.0 Hr.120110B2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New Engine Front Cover, A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)5.4 Hrs.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE600642
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

#5 ·
Thank You guys, for the input. I have an AUTO so does the TSB 12-1-10 also apply?? It said for manual transmission. Personally, I don't think so. But I will ask FORD when I take her in.

Thank you for reading my thread and helping my out. I will update when I get an update.

Silverchief12
Chicago, IL.

G
#6 ·
Hello all!
I am new to this site and I am looking for some online suggestions to a knocking sound I have with my 2012 5.0. This video, from youtube, is not my car but has the same problem as mine. It is a better recording of the sound. I have contacted FORD on this issue and my spring break, I am a teacher and the only time I have to do this til the summer, take it in to the shop.
Ut oh,
Heard that noise before,
Contact Deysha on here from ford CS and take it back to the dealer you purchaced your stang from for service. Just make sure its happening when you get there.
Really hope it works out for you,
It can be stressful
Thank you, Desert50Rat!!
Hi SilverChief12,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. If you need any further assistance, please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha

#11 ·
Update

Took the car in April 9th and Ford took care of me! Thank You Deysha and Linda for your help! The noise that I heard and whats in the video is NORMAL sounds of the engine. Now I feel stupid, but thats alright. It looks like these 5.0 are very noisey engins!!! the dealer compared my car to 2 other 5.0 AUTO ( the managers wife's car was one of them with 14000 miles on her) and all have the same sound when warm! This is my 2nd dealership I went to and they all told me the same thing! The Mustang runs great! Well, time to plan that trip on R66 to Cali. :shigrin Until next time. Thank You for your help everyone!

Silverchief12
Chicago, IL.

G
#12 ·
Took the car in April 9th and Ford took care of me! Thank You Deysha and Linda for your help! The noise that I heard and whats in the video is NORMAL sounds of the engine. Now I feel stupid, but thats alright. It looks like these 5.0 are very noisey engins!!! the dealer compared my car to 2 other 5.0 AUTO ( the managers wife's car was one of them with 14000 miles on her) and all have the same sound when warm! This is my 2nd dealership I went to and they all told me the same thing! The Mustang runs great! Well, time to plan that trip on R66 to Cali. :shigrin Until next time. Thank You for your help everyone!

Silverchief12
Chicago, IL.
Awesome news, Silverchief12! You're very welcome!:bigthumbsup

Deysha

#16 ·
with all of the problems that im reading about on here, im thinking of just getting a boss now :/

#18 ·
Well, Folks, what can I do...............???? Really Nothing! I been on this for a long time and I just want to enjoy my car for once! This problem is well documented with FORD and if something happends which they caused and did not fix, s*it will hit the fan! It is not about feel stupid, I over spoke. I took it in several times and all said the same thing. If I did not take her in a complain on this site only, then that would be stupid. AND, when I first posted this thread, ONE person replied back! It is what it is...............

Silverchief12
Chicago, IL.

#19 ·
Sorry for your heartache, but don't listen to the interwebs for diagnosing your problem. If it blows, and it's under warranty, you get a new one. You've already had it documented so my advice is to drive the car, ensure proper maintenance is performed, and stop stressing over it.

#20 ·
Silver Chief,

I feel your pain. I took mine in twice to my local dealer for a 1500/2000 rpm knocking/ticking sound and after driving with service tech told me that it was normal. At best I have documentation that I brought it in. Athough cannot say I am happy to be driving a car that knocks when warm. Hard to believe a car can go 17000 miles and after a oil change start making obvious noise and it be fine.

#23 ·
Guess it pays to be persistant, polite and firm. I took my car in one more time to talk to service manager and state I was not happy and they took another look. He acknowledged there were TSB for the motor and now seems very cooperative. I have an appointment next Monday where hopefully it will be fixed. From all the info I have read I suspect I have both a tick and a knocking sound underload caused by the cam tensioners.

#26 ·
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.....I been outta town! I went to the dealer and they changed for me. it was free, so what the hell! I know they used 8 qts. of Motorcraft 5w-20. I would use what they say to use. i also suggest to change oil every 3000 miles (ya, i admit, i am pretty old school). But not past 5k.......if your hard on the pedal....check oil often.....before 10000 you will burn some oil. once the car breaks in after 10000 the oil is 1 qt/3000 lost......ya, my engine is going good. except for that darn sound. but, its a great car!

SilverChief12
Chicago, IL.

#28 ·
Just took my 2012 in for the knocking noise. When I start the car (whether the a/c is on or not) and then again if I turn on the A/C. I'll try to attach a video. Could tell the noise is not from the engine but
seemed like under the dashboard.
The car was fixed in approx 2 hours and here's what is on the invoice:

cause: N33
19616B Motor Assembly - A/C DOOR ACTUATOR (Defrost)
Replace (18A318/19E616) - L
1 part # AR3Z*19E616*E MOTOR ASY

No price on the invoice since it was under warranty.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.