Ford Corporate + MT82 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Ford Corporate + MT82

Ford corporate has responded to reason and rational arguments and agreed to tear down my whining '12 MT82 for diagnosis and repair.

The story is long and there were many places where the other parties involved attempted to convince me this was normal, that I would be on the hook for the repair and diagnosis, etc. I remained reasonable and persistent and now they're going to open this thing and find what they find and fix it. The final convincer for the dealer was another 5.0 came in for service and they tested it out and found it was quiet and mine isn't at all. You can hear my whine from my car coming a block away.

Advice to others: Don't get angry, don't get irrational, just speak up and keep speaking up for what you know is right.

I'll update the trials and tribulations bound to ensue when they get into this thing here.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Ford corporate has responded to reason and rational arguments and agreed to tear down my whining '12 MT82 for diagnosis and repair.

The story is long and there were many places where the other parties involved attempted to convince me this was normal, that I would be on the hook for the repair and diagnosis, etc. I remained reasonable and persistent and now they're going to open this thing and find what they find and fix it. The final convincer for the dealer was another 5.0 came in for service and they tested it out and found it was quiet and mine isn't at all. You can hear my whine from my car coming a block away.

Advice to others: Don't get angry, don't get irrational, just speak up and keep speaking up for what you know is right.

I'll update the trials and tribulations bound to ensue when they get into this thing here.
Best of luck. I just don't understand the "that is normal." mantra.

2013 Black GT/CS. Electronics pkg. Comfort, 3.73. CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna. JLT Oil Separator. 20% rear 50% front tint. Clearbra. Flip Down License Plate Holder.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012
PONY Member

All other owners who are or were having the whine issue have been told it's NORMAL!

I'm glad they are going to do the right thing & hopefully fix it correctly for you!

Trying to pull the JEDI MIND TRICK on owners is BS!

"There is nothing wrong here the noises you here are normal"

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by knk11stang View Post
All other owners who are or were having the whine issue have been told it's NORMAL!

Don't clump everyone with that. My service advisor only had to move my car 30 feet forward in the service lane to confirm the whine in my trans. It was in the shop immediately and when finding the worn parts were on backorder they ordered a complete new transmission.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Don't clump everyone with that. My service advisor only had to move my car 30 feet forward in the service lane to confirm the whine in my trans. It was in the shop immediately and when finding the worn parts were on backorder they ordered a complete new transmission.
I used to fix computers and monitors for a living. Many customers complain about legitimate problems,but many are just imagining it. For instance,people buy a 300 dollar PC and then its slow and they think there is something wrong. Sometimes they complain about a rattling noise,and when they show you,its the hard disk accessing but their last computer had a quieter model of hard disk and they think there is something wrong. After a lot of complains like that you start getting this attitude that the customer is just an idiot and his complaints are meritless,unless very obviously valid. Its not right,but it happens.

I think cars are similar. For instance,there is a lot of variation between car brands in terms of noise. Some people hear a little noise and think its something terrible. It turns out to be nothing. Similarly,some people dont understand what a normal noise is and a noise indicating a problem and complain about noises that ARE normal. The techs start to think that ALL complaints are unwaranted. Its not right,they should not do that,but they do. You need to show them the noises are real. Before you bring it in for service,listen to one off the lot. (Not strictly necessary,but it leads into the next step) Tell them that your transmission is making a funny noise,and tell them you went and tried an identical car on a test drive and it did NOT make that noise. Its a little harder to argue with that. If necessary,make them listen to one. If they still dont listen,take it to another dealership.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012
GT Member

What gets me poeple think all vehicles are built perfect REALLY. Every manufacturer out there figure in certain amount of what they build will have some sort problems or small issues.

Biggest problem right now is internet spreads lots of mis-info 1 person has a problem they think evryone else should be having it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

Problem is most are not level headed they get back home then jump on internet they did this and that turn it into drama BS. You can have them open it up and look even if you end up paying for it if they find nothing aleast you have piece of mind

Last edited by Snackmaster; 06-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

well, mine does not whine at all... a friend of mine dropped by last week cause he was concerned his brand new 2012 GT had an abnormally loud whining trans,so he asked me to do a cold start test for him.

When he got to my house,(he literally lives less than a quarter block away from me) I was outside waiting for him to show up, and I could hear his tranny whining as he parked across the street from me.
It sounded like an old style supercharger,but louder!!! at idle,the whine was more prominent than his motor.It almost sounded like a bearing type whine,without the crunching.
His ride is 4 weeks old with just 400+ KM on it, in my books, that's brand new.
I started mine up for him, but said nothing, we just sat there listening,within a few seconds mine came off the fast idle and settled into it's normal purr,then he wanted to sit inside,with windows up... then windows down.

Sitting inside his car with him,I could NOT believe how loud his while was,by this time I could see his demeanor changing rapidly,first thing he said to me was, "Mario,yours is so quiet...does mine sound normal to you? sure to hell does not sound normal to me".

He already took it to his selling dealer,and they told him what he was hearing was "normal breaking in sounds".

Anyways, we both drove to his dealer and again speak with the service advisor,this time I was there with mine, and invited the service manager to have a "listen" to both cars... within seconds, he says to my buddy, maybe there is something not quite right with yours... they agreed to open his trans up and investigate the source of the whine... keeping fingers crossed for his sake.

He's upset as hell,and has a good valid reason, but I told him to stay positive and give the dealership trans tech a chance to make it right,we'll see what transpires soon enough!!!

PS.On the way up to the dealership,we swapped cars, he drove mine and I drove his, and I could NOT believe how loud his whine actually was, if Ray Charles was deaf instead of blind,he sure to hell would have heard this one!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

I'm not upset. I realize a certain percentage of any massed produced item with hundreds of parts are going to have problems. The only upset I had was during my attempts to convince the selling dealer there is a real problem here. With no Mustangs to compare it to; the reliance fell on my story about how it didn't make noise when I drove it home, it started at 3000 km. Despite being irritated at the attempts to impute blame, redirect the issue or mildly threaten me, I didn't lose my cool because I know these things are expected in any negotiation. I'm a union leader so, I'm familiar with confrontational situations and negotiations.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012
PONY Member

Interesting that your friends whines out of gear. My father in law's only whines in 1-4 and 6th. The assumption is because 5 is direct drive (1:1). So far mine isn't whining but who knows how long that will last. I am curious...of those w/ the whining problem, does it whine in all gears? Or all gears except 5th?

----------------------------------
1993 Mustang Cobra - 99% stock
2011 Mustang GT(RIP)
2011 Shelby GT500 - Gone
2015 Mustang GT
----------------------------------
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

1 through 4 in my case, with 5 and 6 being quiet. This is what leads me to suspect (most likely) countershaft or, (a little less likely), input shaft bearings. The relationship between the gears has subtly altered, in my opinion. A little noise is not really panic time but, when you can hear my car a 1/2 a block away over the engine, that's an issue.

Trying to understand CandyRed CS: If there's whining when the car isn't moving or in gear, it's not the trans. It could be the throwout bearing but, more likely it's accessory drives on the engine.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Unbelievable! My dealership told me it was "normal" as well. They ordered another GT and had it delivered to the dealership so they could confirm my issues. Once they did that it took them 2 weeks to dismantle the trans and then the parts were on backorder.

Instead of providing me a new trans to get me up and running, they drew out this process for over a month! When I got it back, it whined louder than it did before I brought it in! After another 3 weeks or so I finally received a new trans after the FSE came out and verified the concern.

I told them from jump street that a new trans was necessary and that waiting this long was unacceptable. For two whole months my car was unusable as it was dismantled at the dealership. Guess what...new trans solved the problem, but it has now developed a weird issue in 2nd where it locks me out under low acceleration. Feel like the blocker ring is in the way or something...
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcNasty View Post
it has now developed a weird issue in 2nd where it locks me out under low acceleration. Feel like the blocker ring is in the way or something...
This happens shifting INTO 2nd? If so, that sounds like the normal operation of the skip-shift "feature" to me.

(I mention this on the off-chance that you're one of the few owners who are not aware of skip-shift ... are you?)

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
MACH I Member
S197 Member

On mine, the whine is present in gears 1-4 and 6th, 5th is quiet. It is harder to hear in 6th gear with engine/road/wind noise interfering, but it's still audible.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
On mine, the whine is present in gears 1-4 and 6th, 5th is quiet. It is harder to hear in 6th gear with engine/road/wind noise interfering, but it's still audible.
This sounds like the issue is with the underdrive and overdrive components in your trans as 5th is the 1:1 gear in these transmissions so those parts aren't being used when you're in 5th, which may explain the lack of whine in that gear.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Apprentice

Hope for the best here, good luck. Will be curious to see what the issue is, if they even tell you.
Oh yea, in before Bryce!

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black - Brembo/3:73/Security Pkg
GT500 Axle-backs/Spoiler, Resonator Delete, Boss Valance/Splitter, K-Springs,Saleen Grille, CJ Intake Manifold, FRPP CAI, FRPP Exhaust Cams, Mid Length Headers, AED Tune
2001 Mustang GT "BULLITT" #3309 DHG - Gone but not forgotten...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page