Caliper Painting - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Caliper Painting

I have seen several threads about painting brake calipers. Being old school, I have always been told that brake calipers aren't painted for the same reason that they have the rough finish. The bumpy surface and unpainted metal actually give more surface area to aid in heat dissipation. It would seem that paint would both smooth out the caliper surface and help retain heat. I realize that some cars come from the factory with painted calipers and I have always thought those already had the cooling loss factored in. Evidently the amount of cooling lost is not a a large factor anymore and I suppose it wouldn't be under normal driving. Your thoughts? (Please, no caliper paint merchants.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

That's odd. My Baer Large Calipers are powder coated and super smooth, and they're made for racing.
RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySC View Post
I have seen several threads about painting brake calipers. Being old school, I have always been told that brake calipers aren't painted for the same reason that they have the rough finish. The bumpy surface and unpainted metal actually give more surface area to aid in heat dissipation. It would seem that paint would both smooth out the caliper surface and help retain heat. I realize that some cars come from the factory with painted calipers and I have always thought those already had the cooling loss factored in. Evidently the amount of cooling lost is not a a large factor anymore and I suppose it wouldn't be under normal driving. Your thoughts? (Please, no caliper paint merchants.)
I think if you wanna paint your calipers, go ahead and do it. Won't hurt anything.

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I painted mine after they were smoothed out with a die grinder. I wasn't reshaping or removing too much material, just getting rid of the casting flash. Doesn't matter how many coats of paint you use the bumps will be visible. This is ok for some but mine turned out pretty slick after the die grinder treatment. I also painted the rotor vanes and "hats" to help with rust.

I had a slight advantage over some . . . . I purchased the GT Rotors, Calipers and Brackets on eBay from Roush for $125.00 shipped. So i had the calipers and brackets on a bench, mush easier to work with instead of hanging them from the fender or where ever with coat hangers!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Those look really good Blow. I don't think that paint would inhibit heat dispersion but who knows. People have been painting them for years and I have not heard of any problems. I say paint them if you want to.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndeadline View Post
I painted mine after they were smoothed out with a die grinder. I wasn't reshaping or removing too much material, just getting rid of the casting flash. Doesn't matter how many coats of paint you use the bumps will be visible. This is ok for some but mine turned out pretty slick after the die grinder treatment. I also painted the rotor vanes and "hats" to help with rust.

I had a slight advantage over some . . . . I purchased the GT Rotors, Calipers and Brackets on eBay from Roush for $125.00 shipped. So i had the calipers and brackets on a bench, mush easier to work with instead of hanging them from the fender or where ever with coat hangers!
LOOKS SICK MAN!!! I want to paint mine but I'm too busy........ and lazy. lol

2012 automatic black Mustang 5.0, the most basic model LOL.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012
PONY Member

If you decide to go the color route, get them powder coated. One trip around a car show & you can tell the painted calipers compared to powder coated calipers. It will cost more, $190 for 4 red calipers & 4 black brackets with calipers disassembled, but you wont be repainting all the time and fighting flaked paint.

As for heat? It wont be an issue.

2011 GT 6M - List is long... too long
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtownStang View Post
If you decide to go the color route, get them powder coated. One trip around a car show & you can tell the painted calipers compared to powder coated calipers. It will cost more, $190 for 4 red calipers & 4 black brackets with calipers disassembled, but you wont be repainting all the time and fighting flaked paint.

As for heat? It wont be an issue.
Agreed! powder coating is always best but if you are on a budget rattle can will work.

Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Painted my calipers and brackets black with the Duplicolor caliper paint not to long after getting the car and I haven't had any issues. I can't remember for sure but I thought the can had something on it about there being ceremic in the paint that disapates the heat? Not sure though.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I did my rears around the same time as the fronts. Same treatment as far as cleaning them really good and using thinner to clean the brake clean off. They flaked off after the first car wash so FAIL. I am taking them off this weekend, grinding the brackets and calipers smooth like the new fronts and painting them, we'll see how they turn out!

Rookie

Those red calipers look great, good job!

Cars are meant to be driven, not trailed.

2007 Vista Blue GT 5spd. JLT CAI. GT500 60mm Throttle Body. Bama Tunes SCT SF3. Bassani X Pipe. Pypes Hi Flow Cats. Magnaflow Axel Backs. MSD Blaster C.O.Ps. Eibach Rear Sway Bar. GT500 Strut Tower Bar. IUP. HID Headlights, Halo HID fogs. Hood Pin Kit. Custom Pinstriping. Red Calipers. Deck Lid Blackout Panel. Chin Splitter. Headlight Splitters. Spinner Center Caps.
Rookie

You can use most high temp paints, like the VHT engine manifold paint or caliper paint as well. When I painted mine I just got the hi-temp primer as well and it helped the ceramic paint stick to the factory finished calipers. You can even get creative and paint the primer layer, then tape off or lay down a lightning bolt design or some kind of graphic, and paint your primary color over it to get a nice finished look.
Rookie

Caliper paint won't stick.

Painted my calipers on my 2014 gt premium but the paint won't stick.
We cleaned them and used alcohol wipes but the paint just flakes off. The original finish is silver and very slick. We are trying to paint them red. Any ideas???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Views:	2669
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	515370  
BOSS Member

Garage
Did you clean them with anything other than alcohol? You want to clean them with brake cleaner or degreaser. You may also need to the caliper with sandpaper too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page