Boss oil cooler on GT? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Boss oil cooler on GT?

I have a '12 GT automatic and would like to know if anyone has added the Boss oil cooler to a GT ( and if an automatic ). Seems like it would be cheap insurance on these engines.

2012 GT premium 6r80 Kona Blue with Saddle interior : Magnacharged, 3.55s, BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S 255/45-18, GT500 axlebacks, Saleen grill, CS lower valance, SLP trunk panel, MRT adjustable head restraints, BOSS oil cooler, BOSS brakes lines, C-Max ceramics for street and SP Performance Street Plus pads for light track duty, NAPA 5.1 brake fluid, BMR springs, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts. GT500 strut mounts, other small mods. Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
PONY Member

i don't have any experience with it, but it is a very cheap upgrade and would be beneficial to anyone !

2013 Mustang GT: Race Red 55R (Track Pack) + Recaros. BOSS Intake Manifold * Lethal H pipe, BAMA Tune * '13 GT500 Quad Tip Exhaust, Valance * AIRAID Intake * Steeda Strut Bar, Shifter, Bracket and Ball * 3M Carbon Vinyl Roof * Eibach Sportlines on GT500 Struts * BMR Panhard bar * CDC Grille * AMR Wheels.

416 RWHP / 373 RWTQ - 11/18/12
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAA-P51 View Post
...would be cheap insurance on these engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Killa View Post
...would be beneficial to anyone !

If you aren't racing, there would be no benefit to having an oil cooler. If you are prolonging the time it takes for your engine oil to get to operating temperature that could actually have a detrimental effect to a car that is daily driven. Not to mention I've heard a few people lately complaining about fitment issues and leaks from the oil coolers.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
If you aren't racing, there would be no benefit to having an oil cooler. If you are prolonging the time it takes for your engine oil to get to operating temperature that could actually have a detrimental effect to a car that is daily driven. Not to mention I've heard a few people lately complaining about fitment issues and leaks from the oil coolers.
There's an interesting thread over at TMS where there's comparison data between the FRPP and CoolTech upgrades for the Boss 302. If someone open tracks their car, or drives fast for long periods in blistering heat, they might be a candidate for one of these extreme duty oil coolers.

Anyway it's a good discussion (only 5 pages at present) and one point is made that with a thermostatically controlled oil to air cooler, you can cut the oil warm up time significantly.

FRPP Boss 302 Air-to-Oil Cooler is now available - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Here's the Ford Boss upgrade: BOSS 302 EXTREME DUTY OIL COOLER KIT -- M-6642-MBA

Here's the Cooltech unit: 2012+ Boss 302 Air to Oil Cooler w/Therm"

2012 Race Red Boss 302 #3041
2012 Race Red Boss 302 #733 TOTALED at Spring Mtn
1999 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 6-Speed
1964 Falcon Convert. 289 4-Speed
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
PONY Member

the GT has the oil squiters to lower temps. the boss added the cooler to compensate for the removal of these. At least thats my understanding...

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
PONY Member

Lower oil temps are good. Warm up is incredible on the newer engines, no worries on that. Camaro comes factory with an oil cooler. There was an article somewhere that had an engineer for the coyote saying they all should have come with one.

Do it, if i didn't have a track pack coming to me, i would have added this as the very first mod.

2013 Mustang GT: Race Red 55R (Track Pack) + Recaros. BOSS Intake Manifold * Lethal H pipe, BAMA Tune * '13 GT500 Quad Tip Exhaust, Valance * AIRAID Intake * Steeda Strut Bar, Shifter, Bracket and Ball * 3M Carbon Vinyl Roof * Eibach Sportlines on GT500 Struts * BMR Panhard bar * CDC Grille * AMR Wheels.

416 RWHP / 373 RWTQ - 11/18/12
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012
Apprentice

What has two thumbs and has seen 300 degree oil temps tracking a 2011 GT. This guy.
Time for a cooler. NOT a boss water/oil cooler, but an effective one (air/oil). The price is a killer though...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012
GT Member

Highest I've seen is 240 but it's still cool. After this summer I'll see if it's needed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp0001 View Post
the GT has the oil squiters to lower temps. the boss added the cooler to compensate for the removal of these. At least thats my understanding...
I'm not seeing the logic there. The PISTONS might be cooler but that heat is going straight to the oil right? The Boss didn't need the jets since the forged pistons can handle the heat.

2012 Race Red Boss 302 #3041
2012 Race Red Boss 302 #733 TOTALED at Spring Mtn
1999 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 6-Speed
1964 Falcon Convert. 289 4-Speed
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I've had the Boss oil cooler on my GT since 4000km and have 17000km on it now. There have been no detrimental effects on the car; the engine heats up just fine; there was little difference that I could tell. I have an Aeroforce Interceptor and can read engine temp, it heats up pretty fast.

The stock oil is so thin it doesn't take much to get it to operating viscosity. That's not a concern. I would think overheating your oil would be more of a concern if you had a choice between the two.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
there have been no detrimental effects on the car; the engine heats up just fine; there was little difference that I could tell. I have an Aeroforce Interceptor and can read engine temp, it heats up pretty fast.
I suspected there would be little to no difference. The coolant system operates on a thermostat, so the oil cooler wouldnt begin to make a difference until the engine got up to temp and the t-stat opened. Thanks for the confirmation - I think I'm gonna pick one of these up.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I ordered the cooler today and it should be at the dealership in 2 - 3 days. Tax included about $105.

2012 GT premium 6r80 Kona Blue with Saddle interior : Magnacharged, 3.55s, BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S 255/45-18, GT500 axlebacks, Saleen grill, CS lower valance, SLP trunk panel, MRT adjustable head restraints, BOSS oil cooler, BOSS brakes lines, C-Max ceramics for street and SP Performance Street Plus pads for light track duty, NAPA 5.1 brake fluid, BMR springs, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts. GT500 strut mounts, other small mods. Daily Driver.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Update : I have had the oil cooler on the car for a few weeks now with zero issues. I drove the car all day yesterday with actual temps of 103+. It sat and idled with the AC running full blast in a sun drenched parking area for over a half hour. Temp gauge never went over its normal position. The radiator fan ran a lot. Once I started moving again, it cut off as usual. Stop and go traffic in the heat is not a problem. How it reacts on a track remains to be seen. YMMV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page