My 2012 Cylinder 8 misfire and low compression... - Page 17 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Any Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked400ex View Post
There is a TSB I believe about oil consumption, Ford states these engines should be allowed 10,000 miles before the normal 1qt/3000mi. oil drinking limit during normal driving conditions.

As much research and design that went into these engines, I'm kind of curious to the piston change in the '13's after only 2 years in the '11 and '12's

I totally agree. I do not trust any of the manufacturers. They would never come clean. The new popular vulture culture so called customer service. ...with manufacturer reps canvassing the various boards on the net is a joke IMHO. Nothing gets done right period. I have multiple stories from the Big 3. My .02. :nogrinner Any of the Big 3 will try to put the screws on you when you modify. The only time I got around it when my buddy worked at a dealership.......years ago.

2012 GT COUPE PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE WHITE, CHARCOAL BLACK W/LAVA LEATHER, EQUIPMENT GROUP 400A, MT82 MANUAL, BBP/BREMBO, HID/SECURITY PACKAGE, ANTI-THEFT, COMFORT PACKAGE, REAR VIDEO CAMERA, BOSS 302 FRONT SPOILER, REAR VALANCE. ALL STOCK EXPECT K&N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Any Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Great thread.. still suspect piston design and cylinder cooling...Who makes the pistons for Ford, is it Mahle? I have rattled a lot of pistons over the years and never had this type of failure, rods yes, melted the top of a few pistons before fuel injection, broke some rings, but never broke lands. Bent them but never broke them like the pictures I've seen on these forums. But then I only ran NA engines.
I agree again. 2 years running and then a piston design change the 3rd year.......very suspect....in my opinion. Ford will never come clean.

2012 GT COUPE PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE WHITE, CHARCOAL BLACK W/LAVA LEATHER, EQUIPMENT GROUP 400A, MT82 MANUAL, BBP/BREMBO, HID/SECURITY PACKAGE, ANTI-THEFT, COMFORT PACKAGE, REAR VIDEO CAMERA, BOSS 302 FRONT SPOILER, REAR VALANCE. ALL STOCK EXPECT K&N.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREMBO12 View Post
I agree again. 2 years running and then a piston design change the 3rd year.......very suspect....in my opinion. Ford will never come clean.
We have a conspiracy theorist here. Companies make iterative improvements all the team. This happens in manufacturing, software, consumer electronics - pretty much everywhere. A change is not, in any way, an acknowledgment of a problem.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
We have a conspiracy theorist here. Companies make iterative improvements all the team. This happens in manufacturing, software, consumer electronics - pretty much everywhere. A change is not, in any way, an acknowledgment of a problem.
But why change something if there was nothing wrong? Big changes, such as a piston change makes me wonder.... Ford knows but they won't tell..

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
But why change something if there was nothing wrong? Big changes, such as a piston change makes me wonder.... Ford knows but they won't tell..
Maybe the manufacturer raised their prices above what Ford was willing to pay, so they went with someone else. Just one option. Not picking sides, just making sure that the situation is viewed from both sides.

2011 GT Prem - 400a, Brembo Pkg, 3.55s, 6spd
OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
GT Member

Quote:
I agree, very suspicious.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
So you say your going to be honest about all this and then you don't even tell us what mods you have?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I saw 2 people ask this and ALL of his mods were in his sig, READ people.

Shawn
Toys:
1986 Buick Regal ttype,Too many mods to list.
10 second street ride W/AC
2013 GHIG GT stick HIS FRPP procal 393 RWHP 373 RWTQ
2002 gt premium vert auto HERS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs462 View Post
I saw 2 people ask this and ALL of his mods were in his sig, READ people.
Yes READ. People like me who use forums from mobile devices can't see the signature. You would know this if you read what is says under my post(sent from auto guide). Do you really think we would ask if we already knew? Wow

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked400ex View Post
Question is, what to do now? Ford has voided my engine warranty. Car runs and drives with a misfire and oil burning mainly when cold. Ford had them check cyl. 8 for compression, result was 40psi. Then Ford had them look with a bore scope, they said piston ring broken. Dealer quoted $8100 for engine replacement based on Ford's response. I can't afford that anytime soon. My main reason for posting is from after reading about this happening to other people who either won't tell the truth About what was on their car or disappear from the forums. I want to be honest to all of you so this hopefully won't happen to you. I am not going to speak negatively about any company or person either. Hopefully we can all come together on exactly why this is happening and prevent any more Mustang owners from going through what I am currently.
Well,since you kept driving it,bend over and get out your visa card. The smart thing would have been to take it to a shop that has a good rep for engine rebuilds and have it fixed. If you catch it quick,and the block isn't damaged,then your talking about 1000 bucks in parts and then the labor on top of that. If your block is damaged then your talking another 1500 for the block,and of course the labor,which wont be cheap,but it wont be 8 grand.

' Since you asked what to do,you need to pay someone. Ive changed engines and its a huge job, 10x harder on this car. The very first time I popped my hood open,I thought "Damn,Id hate to have to change the engine in this thing"

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
GT Member

Quote:
Piston changes are not big,they are minor. Chances are it was part of removing the oil sprayers. Two solutions to the same problem. The oil spayer solution was probably more expensive but easier to get working. The coating and design change was probably not ready by the time the engine had to go into testing. There are TWO reasons they change designs,to fix a problem,or to reduce costs. 9 times out of 10,its for cost reduction.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpembach1 View Post
I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I have had my SECOND engine lose the 8th cylinder, and Ford does not want to help. I need someone here's opinion, would it be better to pay to have Ford install a new regular Coyote 5.0 in my car, or should I pay to have a shop build a forged engine, Built Short Block (new block, boss crank, Eagle H Beam Rods with ARP 2000 bolts, JE pistons with upgraded rings, zero balance, all machine work, and professional assembly)
Gasket Kit- Head Gaskets, Oil Pan, Front and Rear Main Seals, Front Cover, etc...
Oil Pump and Pick Up Tube Billet oil pump gears
Fluids for motor build.. Spark plugs-Brisk) MY QUESTION IS: would the forged engine be MORE reliable and have a greater chance of not failing/breaking/losing #8 again, etc.

If I bought a new regular engine from Ford, it would have a year warranty. If I got the engine built, there would be no warranty... but logically speaking which one would be more reliable and stronger overall. What would YOU guys do???
I don't mean this to be mean,but seriously,if I did something that blew my motor,I would NOT turn around and do the SAME THING and blow it again. There IS a kit that claims to eliminate this possibility by increasing cooling to cylinder 8. I don't know if it lives up to the hype,but I think your on the right track. Either leave it stock,or do something different this time.

GT Member

Quote:
I highly doubt it. So do they pay to have to motor removed from your car by your dealer and shipped to them so they can expect it? Or they just trust your word or the word of the dealer?

My guess is they call the dealer and Ford,get pictures from them and talk to the tech. Then they decide whether to fly someone out to look at it. The conversation between BAMA and a Ford engineer wont be like the responses you get from Ford. Ford tells you "We decided its broken and we don't have to give technical details,now pay up or go away" BAMA is going to have someone that can speak their language,and want real facts,like pictures of the damage. If not,they will get the lawyers involved. You have to pay a fortune for a lawyer. BAMA pays about the same as Ford does. At the end of the day,Ford and BAMA probably decide how much the lawyers are going to cost,what the risk of each side losing is if they go to court,and settle the case based on that with each side paying part of the cost.

Companies may play games when they can to make people just go away,because they know threats of lawyers `are empty. However,if they really know that its going to come to that,they do whats in their own interests and settle it.

As an example,I had a car that Hyundai was buying back as a lemon. They had agreed to do it without me having to get a lawyer. (it was that bad of a car) After waiting months for the replacement to come in,they inspected the old car and found a couple of scratches on the hood. They wanted me to pay to have the hood repainted. I told them I was not paying it. The scratches were normal wear on a six month old car,which they I had no choice but to drive while they took their time about getting me a replacement. They said I either had to pay it or they would not replace the car. I threatened to take it to court. They said "you will lose"

I explained "No,I will not,I wont be suing you over the scratches. At this point it looks like we cannot come to an agreement over the replacement of the vehicle. I have a document from you admitting the vehicle is a lemon and that it should be replaced. The vehicle was in the shop more than four times with the same problem AND more than 30 days. Its a lemon. At the end of it all,maybe the court agrees with you,and orders you to pay me the price of the car minus the cost of painting the hood,and you pay my lawyer. Or maybe they agree with me,and you pay me the entire value of my car,and you pay my lawyer. Either way,you pay my lawyer,and it will be a lot more than painting the hood."

She said she had to talk to her supervisor. This was on a Friday afternoon. On Monday,they called me back and we set up a day for me to drop off my car and pick up the replacement.

The moral of the story is,they DO pay attention to threats of legal action,but only if they are plausible. In my case,I had kept on this for over six months,they knew I was not going away,and they knew I would take it to court if necessary. They also knew I was right and no matter which way it went,they would have to pay more in legal fees than they would save by making me pay for repainting the hood. In the case of BAMA and Ford having a dispute,they KNOW BAMA will have lawyers just like they do,and use them when appropriate,so it just comes down to how each side can minimize their losses in a mutually agreeable way.

PONY Member

If this happens to me i'm going the full custom re-build route and for sure adding the JPC head cooling mod no matter what. Also, stick with a proven tuner like Bama or AED (many others). Be mindful of bad fuel. Convert to E85 if possible, runs cooler with less issues. IN the end, you will have a much faster car for spending the 8-10grand.. not just the same thing but 'fixed'..
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I would just replace with mahle pistons and rods. Yes the boss parts are better then stock 5.0 fair but there are better options.

Boss pistons ARE manufactured by Mahle.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sohc View Post
Boss pistons ARE manufactured by Mahle.
To a DIFFERENT spec. That's why built shop mustang are only using the boss heads. There are stronger and better options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page