My 2012 Cylinder 8 misfire and low compression... - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post

Personally, I think the problem was a limitation/threshold that tuned N/A 5.0L's were crossing and it could have to do with fuel quality/temperatures/tuning logic/piston design all adding up. If the moons lined up, you ended up with 7 cylinders. I don't think it's necessarily "overly aggressive tuning" or "crap gas" or "Ford negligence", specifically or individually. Even proven, trusted tunes from ourselves and others have been attributed to a cylinder 8.. and I've had tons of customers with crap gas and no cylinder 8. I think it's a "group issue", so to speak.

Chris
this is my biggest fear in tuning since I live i PHX. Hit 110 2 days in a row already. and its only going to get hotter as the summer months approach.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
this is my biggest fear in tuning since I live i PHX. Hit 110 2 days in a row already. and its only going to get hotter as the summer months approach.
Ambient temps should have no bearing on internal temps...... Thanks AM/BAMA(Chris) for chiming in..... Once again proving why you have gained respect and trust from so many....

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #78 of 255 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
Has anyone noticed more blow number #8 with a MT vs AT? What I am getting at is possible over rev or a what I call money shift?

Also to BAMA, if you have a #7 fail would it be covered or is it only in the event of a #8.
I also would like to know the AT/MT ratio of #8 failures. Might have not been a good idea to raise the rev limiter in these tunes for this engine. The Ford Racing Aluminator engines I'm looking into even have a 6800 rpm limit. Even as careful as I was to shift before the red, who knows how many times the needle could have dipped into that territory with the modified rev limit...

2008 Mustang GT (SOLD)

2012 Black on Black Mustang GT Premium, MT82, 3.73, HID's, rear view camera, Brembo, Steeda, Lethal Performance, Flowmaster, SCT, Ford Racing Parts, Manley, ARP, Boss302, Mickey Thompson, Racestar Industries, BMR, M&H Racemaster, Pirelli, Energy Suspension, Stifflers, The DriveShaft Shop, Auto Meter, SOS, Raptor Performance, CFM.

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
The car will pull timing when air charge temperatures and engine coolant temperatures get too hot. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was just saying there are alot of variables (fuel quality/temps/tuning/mechanical) that could be contributing.

If you take the number of cylinder 8 failures out there and divide it by the number of 2011-2012 tuned 5.0L's (assuming all of that data was in front of you), it would be a very small amount of people. I'm going to guess that 10,000 5.0L's are tuned (not just produced, but tuned), and there was 10-20 failures? Something along the lines of .002% chance of having an issue.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Rookie

Can someone tell me what exactly ford did to the new 13 pistons??
GT Member

i think its quite simple on these cars, if you have a custom tune or have FI just dont beat the **** out of the car on a regular basis. I still think tuning too early or before your first oil change could lead to this . I dont know the specific cases but i really think these engines need to break in even though they are supposed to come ready to roll.After seeing this it only makes me think it even more. I was gonna wait till about 10,000 miles before i tuned but i did it early(IMO) around 6200 miles. Car has 1000 miles on it so far after i tuned and they have been problem free. I am supposed to be getting a supercharger next spring but im starting to rethink this and i may just gut it and come back with all forged internals

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
PONY Member

Quote:
Has anyone noticed more blow number #8 with a MT vs AT? What I am getting at is possible over rev or a what I call money shift?

Also to BAMA, if you have a #7 fail would it be covered or is it only in the event of a #8.
I think majority of the #8 issues have been manual. Also like Chris mentioned a big one I see is the user "people switching 87-91 or 93 octane all of the time doesn't help either. The tune regardless if it's Lund, Bama, Steeda, Brenspeed just accentuates the issue that can happen. And anyone who puts after market parts on there car should understand they could be part of the % failure.

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
PONY Member

That really sucks. I would hate to be in this guys shoes and I know how painful it is. You pay $700 to have some fun and you get slapped with a $8000 bill.

I was going to get a BAMA tune, but with 23k miles on my car...I'm sure some **** would hit the fan.

2011 Black Mustang GT 5.0 Brick-Red
6SP Manual | 3.73 Gears | HIDs | Sec & Anti-Theft Pkg | Brembo GT Brake Pkg | Comfort Package | Shaker 1000 |
Mods:

2011 CS/GT Front Valance, 2011 GT500 Rear Diffuser, 2011 SVT GT500 Mufflers, 2011 Roush Side Skirts, 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler, Boss 302 Front Splitter, Speed Dawg custom shift-knob, Black Pony Emblem, 50% fog-light tint, Blacked Out Side Marks Front and Rear, 35% All-around Tint & Heon H10 fog-light bulbs
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

My car does NOT have a tune,but I only use SHELL 93 octane with a mixture of Seafoam in my fuel, 0 problems.My question is WHY would you even think of useing REGULAR gas in an engine with 11-1 compression ratio,the hell with what Ford says, you are asking for trouble.
GT Member

^^ this/ I can guarantee that there are a large number of owners that run 87 with 93 tunes more than theyll admit

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
^^ this/ I can guarantee that there are a large number of owners that run 87 with 93 tunes more than theyll admit

And some may run 87 octane even though they paid for and thought they were using 93..... Do you know for certain you are running 93, I hope I am, but there is always that possibility...

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

GT Member

I don't see why anyone would be that dumb to run a tank of 87 with an 93 octane tune on their car without returning to a 87 file or the stock file. I highly doubt if you buy your gas from one of the majors then you would not get what you paid for. The only way i could see you getting screwed on gas is if you ran a 91 or 89 octane tune and the gas wasn't mixed properly and you got a lower grade

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
GT Member

This is the reason why I don't get a tune. I want to so bad but when I hear crap like this, it changes my mind real quick.

I'll mod everything in my car, but I worried to touch the engine.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..

^ Yep what he said
PONY Member

yep. gears first if you want to go faster from light to light.

2012 Mustang GT Brembo, 3.73, all weather mats, rear parking sensor, Gibson Stainless Axlebacks. 300a. Rousch takeoff leather interior, Boss 302 steering wheel. Mustang Club of MD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page