My 2012 Cylinder 8 misfire and low compression... - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Waresostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpembach1 View Post
I can't wait to see the flame coming my way. Bring forth the hate... also, keep in mind the rep at the dealership said that they ran a compression test, saw lost compression in #8, and knew that I had a tune and intake. He said that they would have to call a Ford rep to come inspect the engine and deem it worthy of replacement, so even though the DEALER knew about the tune and whatnot the Ford rep who came a week later after returning to stock checked off my car for warranty work. I am just as confused about all of this as any of you. Was this just a stroke of luck? Did the dealer talk to the Ford rep and did the rep know as well? Did returning the car to stock and driving for a week really trick the Ford rep or did he just overlook it and decide to give me a break?

Why are you quoting yourself??? Are you trolling again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Excuse my ignorance but what is this 11-7-7 thing? I have been worried sick about further tuning/modding and I would like to know all about this please.

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

PONY Member

Thank you- very interesting. How would they determine if the PCM was flashed or battery was disconnected? How does returning to stock (flashing) and driving for a certain distance trick them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waresostu View Post
Why are you quoting yourself??? Are you trolling again?
Again? That was my first post, ever. You just made yourself look like an idiot.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 05-30-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
GT Member

Quote:
Thank you- very interesting. How would they determine if the PCM was flashed or battery was disconnected? How does returning to stock (flashing) and driving for a certain distance trick them?
They CAN'T tell if you removed the battery or other. It doesn't 'trick' them.. but there is a safe-gaurd Ford has in place to note just now long ago it did in fact die which I believe is in the 50-100 mile range.. It also counts key-turns.

Quote:
Again? That was my first post, ever. You just made yourself look like an idiot.
Just ignore him... he happens to pop up from time to time spewing worthless nonsense.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
PONY Member

So is that the final solution then? If possible, return to stock and drive for a week. If one were to do that would they be able to have their warranty voided? Sorry for the hounding of questions but I love my car, and want to make sure I know what to do if something goes wrong again, as the first time it WAS lucky because they knew about the parts that were on it when it was taken in.
GT Member

if you flash back to stock and drive for a week they won't be able to PROVE it.

They can tell it 'died' recently, but that is all.

Hope that clarifies it enough for ya.

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
Apprentice

Quote:
Wait, adspru, are you basically telling me that from now on if I blow a cylinder or anything dealer-worthy happens I could safely assume that returning to stock and driving for a couple hundred miles will keep my warranty intact? If you don't mind I would love an elaboration on your statement! If what you say is true then I am no longer scared to mod the hell out of this car.
i have been saying this for a while....the biggest issue is if you break something and cannot get it back to stock and drive it a bit to clear all the logs...just mod the thing guys. AND develop a personal relationship with your service manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
if you flash back to stock and drive for a week they won't be able to PROVE it.

They can tell it 'died' recently, but that is all.

Hope that clarifies it enough for ya.
i think its only 50 miles, if i remember correctly...there might have been a coulpe sensors that go to 75....100miles and i know your good though.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 05-30-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
PONY Member

Wow! Thank all of you so much for the quick replies. So as long as the car stays drive-able, technically it will be covered under warranty- what a wonderful piece of information. I feel bad for the poor dudes who got their warranties voided for a lack of completing this procedure. If if does happen again is the exact process: 1. Reflash to stock 2. disconnect battery for 30 mins 3. drive for a week or so 4. take to dealer for a new engine? Haha
GT Member

Quote:
Wow! Thank all of you so much for the quick replies. So as long as the car stays drive-able, technically it will be covered under warranty- what a wonderful piece of information. I feel bad for the poor dudes who got their warranties voided for a lack of completing this procedure. If if does happen again is the exact process: 1. Reflash to stock 2. disconnect battery for 30 mins 3. drive for a week or so 4. take to dealer for a new engine? Haha
If you are trying to be a fraud.. then, sure!

PONY Member

No but if anyone was in the same boat I would imagine doing this and retaining a warranty and getting a brand new short block vs. ~$8000.00 speaks for itself. I would not consider it being a "fraud". I would consider it as an intelligent person making the most logical choice as to what to do when the possibility of losing your ass is on the line. Sorry I am 19 years old and I definitely do not have the extra funds to pay for a new engine and all the other potential mishaps that could happen to this car, mod-related or not...
Apprentice

there is a tad more to it than that.... there cannot be any red flags when the FSE checks out the car. If you only did a tune with no intake that would be the best case...you start messing with exhaust, headers, x pipes, intakes...have a bunch of damn time slips in the floor board...its gonna look suspicious. They dont have to prove anything mind you, if they want, they can and will void the warranty, then its on you to prove your "mods" were not the cause of the failure.

so just dont give them anything to go on. the very first time you notice something fishy with the car, return it completely to stock, flash, and drive it easy for 50-100 miles and take it in.

And know your service manager, warranty work is good for them most of the time, they want the claim money for labour cost and such....
PONY Member

SirJAG thank you very much. The service manager at my dealer is a nice guy- very cool. If I have headers, cat-back, intake, throttle body, and a custom dyno tune installed, would returning the ECU to stock and just removing the intake/throttle body okay warranty-wise? Basically what I mean to ask is, do I have to go as far as putting the factory manifolds back on. I would HATE to have to re-install long tube headers every time I take the car in for warranty-work.
Apprentice

this is why i said get to know the manager down there...if there is a major event that could require some very serious work and an FSE visit, then the car needs to be returned completely stock. if the service manager tells you he can do this without a FORD visit then your ok. its a very very big grey area guys.
PONY Member

Gotcha. Thanks for all the help guys. This made my day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page