2011 Mustang GT Vibration - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2011 Mustang GT Vibration

Felt a front end vibration on the steering wheel when high speed cornering after washing car the last 2 times. It disappears the next time I use the car. Could this be the result of brake dust or rust washing onto the rotors affecting the ABS or brakes until they dry out or clean themselves up after successive stopping?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dbtewj

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Seems to happen infrequently; mostly when it's damp or after carwash. I think it has to do with the stability control. Next time it occurs, think I'll turn SC off and see if it disappears

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?et1fc3

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I checked tires for bumps in case a belt has shifted....smooth with no imperfections. Just rotated tires as its been 5000 miles, cleaned inside of rims, checked for missing weights from balancing and looked for any stones or whatever lodged in treads. Every thing seems fine.
Can't figure this out as its erratic, never happens when driving in straight line, only sometimes while high speed cornering

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4h3auh

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Installed stock wheels and tires and problem still exists. Also got vibration with TC and SC off.
Off to garage today to install adjustable UCA and bracket. Will have them check my front suspension and bump steer. This may be a power steering issue as I can't seem to get the vibration until the car and tires have warmed up. Well I know for sure it's not tire pressure, wheel balancing, belt shifting in tires or wheel alignment.

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012
PONY Member

There have been several documented cases of strange vibrations from the electric assist steering rack. Replacement racks from ford and ford racing have been on national back order for months. If you follow the Vorschlag blogs it is well documented. Your symptoms are similiar. I cant explain the "after carwash thing".
Vorshlag LLC
Vorshlag's blog is one of the most informative sites for road race tech info. Great job VORSHLAG

2011GTKonaBlueMTPremium/Comfort/BMRTubularFrontLowerControlarms
TallHDballjoints/QA1bumpsteerkit/EibachFrontAdjSwaybar/EibachRearAdjSwaybar
AR1-7/8longTubes/Magnaflo Catback/EibachProStreetCoilovers/MMcamber/casterplates
UMI DbleAdjLCAs/UMIloweringbracket/UMI DbleAdjPanhard/GriggsRearTorqueTube(eliminatesUpperControlArm)
JLT CAI/JohnLund 93Tune/Baer6PistonCalipers/14"slottedCrossdrilled2piece rotors
BlackChromeFR500s Nitto295rear 275front
CarbonFiber interior Bartonshortthrow/bracket
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks Jcap. I've been searching the web for similar problems and hadn't found anything. I just had my suspension and bump steer checked and it's fine. I will get a local Ford tech to come with me when the vibration occurs again.

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The video is exactly what I'm experiencing. Ford would not cover this even though the video shows the problem exists without any mods. In my case I had BMR A arms and a bump steer kit so Ford used its typical "car has been modded so we can't cover it".
I have noticed that the vibration only occurs when external temp is above 75F so I believe the under hood temps contribute to a hot steering gear and box which causes the vibration. Before spending any money on a manual steering box I am going to vent the hood this fall/winter.

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Spoke to Ford Racing today and they figure the steering issue is a result of my bump steer kit changing the front geometry. I will remove it this fall when I get a chance and see if that rectifies the problem

2011 GT CS MT
JLT CAI/93 tune, Alum DS
Barton shifter/bracket
SW headers/exhaust
Rear seat delete
3M protection
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013
Apprentice

bumping this up to see what your results were... i have the same issues and i'm waiting for an appointment at the dealer.
Apprentice

also wanted to support your claims that it's temp related. my problems don't occur when it's cold or rainy outside, and becomes very noticablwe in warm/hot weather conditions or i'm well into operating temp.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2r View Post
bumping this up to see what your results were... i have the same issues and i'm waiting for an appointment at the dealer.
Hi dc2r,

I recommend you contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673, if you need further assistance.

Deysha
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_sudac View Post
Spoke to Ford Racing today and they figure the steering issue is a result of my bump steer kit changing the front geometry. I will remove it this fall when I get a chance and see if that rectifies the problem
I don't think this is correct. If your car is lowered (not mentioned) you need a bump steer kit. When the heim joints of the bump steer kit wear out, you would hear "noise" not feel a vibration. I had some faulty heim joints in my bump steer kit (lowered on coilovers) and the only thing it did was "rattle" over small irregular bumps. Had no vibration at all. Vibrations are generally from overly stiff and/or worn out bushings, or parts that have gone bad, not changing geometry... Besides, it doesn't happen all the time as you stated, only under certain conditions like wetness/temp. The geometry would be the same regardless of exterior conditions, so the vibration would always be there.....
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Exclamation Steering vibration on lowered car, heat related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2r View Post
also wanted to support your claims that it's temp related. my problems don't occur when it's cold or rainy outside, and becomes very noticablwe in warm/hot weather conditions or i'm well into operating temp.

This vibration happened after I put my first set of tires on that did not have reinforced sidewalls. My car is lowered, I ditched the bumpsteer kit suspecting it was the cause after I tried every adjustment height it had. Still had the problem. However, when I experimented with increasing my tire pressure the problem decreased dramatically up until a point. Running at 38-39 psi COLD was the optimum setting in 80 degree low and 110 degree highs in AZ. My car was parked with the wheel turned at an auto parts store, and with 31 psi in the front tires the side-wall was on the ground!!! So my theory is three fold. 1. The alignment is not adjusting for my car being lowered more in the rear than the front. Confirmed this contributor by changing tire sizes and it helped significantly. 2. My Whiteline solid front swaybar and rear swaybar have eliminated the car lean when turning. So the tire is riding on its side when turning (camber issue like the alignment?) and any significant bump or road irregularity sets the tire to wobbling. 3. The non-reinforced side walls are too rubbery in high temps, Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I haven't been able to film this (don't trust friends to not drop my phone LOL).

2011 V6 3.7, 3.55 gears, Pony Pkg, Kona Blue, JLT CAI box & cone w/MMR CAI tube. Magnaflow perf/st axle-backs & MF uni x-pipe w/fab mid-pipes. BMR Shortys & 73mm? throttle body w/matching spacer. Whiteline SOLID front & rear sway-bars. Heat shield manifold to eng. Accel coils w/Pulstar plugs. 4 bolts ea side strut tower brace. Have SCT tuner w/91S, 91P, 91R BAMA tunes. Currently using Diablosport Trinity 1000 w/91 octane Dyno-Tune . Soon BMC Black Mamba carbon fiber hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in