Is it possible to run long tube headers without a new tune? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpembach1 View Post
What would destroy the engine? The headers are being installed right now and should be done by this afternoon. You have me worried now.

Having a poor O2 sensor connection can and will cause damage to the engine. All you need to worry about is making sure the O2 sensor harness has good connections with the sensors. If they are good to go you will not have any problems.

When you get a tune for longtube headers they will turn off the rear O2 sensors to prevent the check engine light. Without them turned off your ECU will expect to see the factory cats, and even with high-clow cats they will read too low and the ECU will throw a check engine light.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Alright well thank you for the info. BAMA just e-mailed 3 tunes so they will be going on the car as soon as I drive it home from the shop, which is only 10 miles away. Is there any way to verify that the O2's are connected properly? Would this be something that I could personally check upon arrival at the shop.

Grimace427

Quote:
Alright well thank you for the info. BAMA just e-mailed 3 tunes so they will be going on the car as soon as I drive it home from the shop, which is only 10 miles away. Is there any way to verify that the O2's are connected properly? Would this be something that I could personally check upon arrival at the shop.

At the very top of the bellhousing is a tie-down for the wiring harness that can be loosened. If the shop does this during the header install then they can simply use the factory connections for the O2 sensors which click together. You can tug on them to make sure they don't pop out but as long as the shop is aware and pays close attention you should be fine.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Going to be a nice configuration when your done OP. I do have a question for you. What are your plans for your yearly emission testing????

I came close to pulling the trigger on some LT's and high flow cats myself but I hear they are a hit or miss when it comes to emissions testing and with those O2's turned off will be an automatic fail and with them on its a hit or miss if they will throw engine codes, which is a fail if they do?

Unless I am missing something????

P.S. You may also want to check out Gear Heads over in Arlington for a custom tune. I've seen some brand new Shelby's roll through their for upgraded super chargers and custom tunes.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
Going to be a nice configuration when your done OP. I do have a question for you. What are your plans for your yearly emission testing????

I came close to pulling the trigger on some LT's and high flow cats myself but I hear they are a hit or miss when it comes to emissions testing and with those O2's turned off will be an automatic fail and with them on its a hit or miss if they will throw engine codes, which is a fail if they do?

Unless I am missing something????

P.S. You may also want to check out Gear Heads over in Arlington for a custom tune. I've seen some brand new Shelby's roll through their for upgraded super chargers and custom tunes.
Thanks G-Mann I am thrilled to hear how it sounds. I have also heard mixed reviews on the subject of emmisions testing and my plan is to simply take the car to various places until I can get it to pass. Some places around my town will pass the car if you slip them a $100. I will have to check that place out! Would you say they are a very reputable company? How much more would the car benefit from a dyno tune as opposed to a 93R tune from BAMA.
Grimace427

Quote:
I have also heard mixed reviews on the subject of emmisions testing and my plan is to simply take the car to various places until I can get it to pass. Some places around my town will pass the car if you slip them a $100.
I can only say be very careful with that. For a short time I was a Texas Certified vehicle inspector and during my 1 year stint in Houston we had two UC DPS troopers come to my shop to inspect our practices. At least then(2004) they were damn strict on both emissions and safety inspections and took fraud very seriously. Probably just big-city stuff though.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Thanks G-Mann I am thrilled to hear how it sounds. I have also heard mixed reviews on the subject of emmisions testing and my plan is to simply take the car to various places until I can get it to pass. Some places around my town will pass the car if you slip them a $100. I will have to check that place out! Would you say they are a very reputable company? How much more would the car benefit from a dyno tune as opposed to a 93R tune from BAMA.
Thanks for the feedback, you will have to PM me when you find a mod friendly emissions shop.

Without a doubt a custom dyno tune will net you the better results but the bama 93R tunes are pretty darn good and I dont think you will "seat of your pants" feel the difference between it and a custom dyno tune. I believe for simple bolt on's, a reputible email tuner will be sufficient and tunes for life goes a long way when your still making modifications to your car. I would reserve that custom tune for A. when I start making more involved modifications or B. When I'm finnished making mods and want to in turn squeak out every last bit of HP/TQ.

With the above said, just be sure to get some datalogs to send back to BAMA, even better, take it over to Gear Heads and have them dyno and datalog it and ship the information over to BAMA for you. 3 pulls for around $70 and they have a unofficial working relationship with Bama.

Congrats on the upgrades!!!

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
Thanks for the feedback, you will have to PM me when you find a mod friendly emissions shop.

Without a doubt a custom dyno tune will net you the better results but the bama 93R tunes are pretty darn good and I dont think you will "seat of your pants" feel the difference between it and a custom dyno tune. I believe for simple bolt on's, a reputible email tuner will be sufficient and tunes for life goes a long way when your still making modifications to your car. I would reserve that custom tune for A. when I start making more involved modifications or B. When I'm finnished making mods and want to in turn squeak out every last bit of HP/TQ.

With the above said, just be sure to get some datalogs to send back to BAMA, even better, take it over to Gear Heads and have them dyno and datalog it and ship the information over to BAMA for you. 3 pulls for around $70 and they have a unofficial working relationship with Bama.

Congrats on the upgrades!!!
Awesome! Will do, and thanks for the help mate.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I just had my Kooks 1 3/4", x-pipe with cats, cat-back installed and again used Steeda for my tune. I have no dyno tuner nearby. The car runs fantastic with Steeda's tune but I may add an AED tune to the equation but I have zero complaints with Steeda's tune.

There are only three things the copilot should ever say:
1. Nice landing, Sir.
2. I'll buy the first round.
3. I'll take the ugly one.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Okay, headers are installed with the catted X and exhaust, and I loaded the 93 Bama Race tune- wow what a difference. It is a whole new beast! My only new concern is that the check engine is now throwing codes for p0420 and p0430 (low catalyst efficiency) in bank 1 and 2. It came on last night and I cleared it, and drove it about 20 miles maybe less and now on my way to work the light came on again- same codes. I reset it again, and I submitted a request for a revised tune from BAMA. Until this new tune arrives, Is my car fine to drive with those codes being thrown? Is the engine running any different? (leaner, richer) and whatnot as I do not want to replace another engine like I did a few months ago with the cylinder #8 failure.....
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Okay, headers are installed with the catted X and exhaust, and I loaded the 93 Bama Race tune- wow what a difference. It is a whole new beast! My only new concern is that the check engine is now throwing codes for p0420 and p0430 (low catalyst efficiency) in bank 1 and 2. It came on last night and I cleared it, and drove it about 20 miles maybe less and now on my way to work the light came on again- same codes. I reset it again, and I submitted a request for a revised tune from BAMA. Until this new tune arrives, Is my car fine to drive with those codes being thrown? Is the engine running any different? (leaner, richer) and whatnot as I do not want to replace another engine like I did a few months ago with the cylinder #8 failure.....
My car had 0420 and 0430 codes for several thousands of miles before I had the Rear O2's turned off.... There should not be any negative impact from a catalyst below threshold condition... YMMV.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
My car had 0420 and 0430 codes for several thousands of miles before I had the Rear O2's turned off.... There should not be any negative impact from a catalyst below threshold condition... YMMV.
That makes me feel must more at ease. Thanks!
PONY Member
S197 Member

When you take it to get an ODB-II check, those o2 sensors that are turned off will show "not ready" and that'll fail the test. They have to be turned on in order to pass, but the problem is the CEL that comes on. I asked AmericanMuscle about this and they said the highflow cats are a hit or miss in this situation. I have to get a ODB-II check soon so hopefully they'll take some dough to let me pass.

2011 Mustang GT black. Mods: JLT CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers Catted H-pipe, GT500 axle back, Bama 93 Race tune, Koni STRTs, Speeda Sports, GT500 mounts, BMR LCAs, relo brackets and panhard bar
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire009 View Post
When you take it to get an ODB-II check, those o2 sensors that are turned off will show "not ready" and that'll fail the test. They have to be turned on in order to pass, but the problem is the CEL that comes on. I asked AmericanMuscle about this and they said the highflow cats are a hit or miss in this situation. I have to get a ODB-II check soon so hopefully they'll take some dough to let me pass.
I am in the same boat as you sir. It really is a hit or miss thing, just depends on how good of a work-day the inspector is having and if you are lucky! Worst case scenario we will have to just trial and error a few places. Lol.
Rookie

2015 Headers

The check engine light coming on after the installation of headers is disturbing to me and tells me that the great computer does not like the new catalytics on the new headers. I would not be afraid of any harm to the motor as long as the air fuel ration is close. But I hate dealing with a check engine light coming on.

I want to do this mod, but I do not want to fight a check engine light every two days. There has to be a fix for this somewhere.

Best of Luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page