"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Coil Cover Painting

Laser,
Thank you for the instructions on how to paint these covers. I just finished color sanding and buffing them out this afternoon. I love the way they came out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	5992
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	160772  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukecityevo View Post
Laser,
Thank you for the instructions on how to paint these covers. I just finished color sanding and buffing them out this afternoon. I love the way they came out.
Very nice (at least in the pics)

Not sure what you mean by "color sanding".

the two questions I have on procedure are:

1. What type of clear did you use?
2. How did you wet sand and buff out afterwards?

Glad I could help someone!
RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...0GT%202011-13/

That is a link to my photobucket page with all the different colors to view on one page.
RC

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Rookie

Coil Cover Painting

RC,

When I mention color sanding, it's the same thing as wet sanding. We just call it color sanding out here. Wet sanding the clear coat after it has dried.

Everything I used except for the Adhesion promotor was dupli color 500 degree engine enamel.

I deviated from your instructions a bit. I wet sanded with 1500 grit only. I then used my porter cable buffer and used the following:

Meguiar's 105 ultra cut compound with a porter cable orange pad
Meguiar's 205 ultra finishing polish with a porter cable white pad
Meguiar's ultimate polish with a porter cable grey pad

Then dried buffed everything with a porter cable red pad
I didn't use a wax on it as I want the paint to cure. For that I use Meguiar's yellow #26
I use the same product on the car's paint as well.

I painted the intake cover as well with the same paint.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	1943
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	160838  
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukecityevo View Post
RC,

When I mention color sanding, it's the same thing as wet sanding. We just call it color sanding out here. Wet sanding the clear coat after it has dried.

Everything I used except for the Adhesion promotor was dupli color 500 degree engine enamel.

I deviated from your instructions a bit. I wet sanded with 1500 grit only. I then used my porter cable buffer and used the following:

Meguiar's 105 ultra cut compound with a porter cable orange pad
Meguiar's 205 ultra finishing polish with a porter cable white pad
Meguiar's ultimate polish with a porter cable grey pad

Then dried buffed everything with a porter cable red pad
I didn't use a wax on it as I want the paint to cure. For that I use Meguiar's yellow #26
I use the same product on the car's paint as well.

I painted the intake cover as well with the same paint.

Ed
Ok, I was gonna say that the cover looks too good to have been done by buffing with polishes BY HAND. That Porter cable is dope! You COULD go ahead and put sealant on the covers right away. That way your covers are protected, and the sealant "protects" better than wax anyway. Nice work!
RC

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

So, I was bored, lol. Bringing up an old thread...thanks for the write up on this. I painted my intake cover and coil covers performance white to match the outside of the car. Here are a couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0055.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	164717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg
Views:	4959
Size:	583.5 KB
ID:	164718  

HIS (Mine) 2011 Ford Mustang GT/ Rapid Spec 400A: Performance White/ MODS: Black 18x9 (front)/ 18 x 10 (rear) AM Saleen Replicas with Nitto NT555s, STEEDA Axle-Back, BBK Off-road X-pipe, Barton Industries Short Shifter, 3.73's, BOSS intake manifold, BBK 85mm TB, STEEDA 101mm BOSS CAI, SCT SF3/ BAMA Tuned, JLT Oil Sepator, Eibach Pro-Kit, Adj Panhard Bar, LCAs

HERS (Wife's) 2013 Ford Mustang/ Sterling Grey/ MODS: Flowmaster Axle-Back, K&N Drop-in filter
PONY Member

ur final products are very clean!

Any chance there's a vid somewhere? Im more of a visual man lol.

2012 GT Premium/Race Red/6MT/3.73 gears/Borla S-type

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Im not THAT energetic to make a video, unless I had a business doing that. Be that as it may, I will still do the covers for someone that cant do it themselves. I encourage you to look through some of the covers Ive done so far to get an idea. The only exact color codes Im doing now are Race Red and Grabber Blue. The others would be with a rattle can. Glad the instructions helped.
RC

Rookie

I got bored and decided to do mine too but minus the clear coat. It's really hard to find what I needed around here since I am in a fairly small area of Germany so I did the best I could with what I had.
"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread.-img_0538.jpg

"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread.-img_0541.jpg

"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread.-img_0542.jpg

2012 Black GT/CS JLT CAI / Boss Intake Manifold / Bama 93R Tune / Moroso Oil Catch Can / Roush Axle Back / BMR LCAs / MGW Short Throw / Raxiom Smoke Headlights / DDM 35W HIDs / 20" TSW Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal Staggered 255 285 Nitto NT555 / Koni Yellows / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / Strano Adj Front and Rear Sway bars / Fayys 2 Watts Link / MM Camber Plates
PONY Member

OP...would you be able to match the green stripe on my car and black lettering?

2012 Mustang GT "RS1" Roush Stage 1 // Brembo Brake Package // 3.73 Limited Slip Rear // HID and Security Package // 6-Speed MT-82 Transmission

Future Project Car: 1995 BMW E36 325i 4dr // Sports Package // All Season Traction // Leather // Heated Seats and Mirrors // Automatic Transmission
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0 View Post
OP...would you be able to match the green stripe on my car and black lettering?

Nice looking car...Love the green stripe

HIS (Mine) 2011 Ford Mustang GT/ Rapid Spec 400A: Performance White/ MODS: Black 18x9 (front)/ 18 x 10 (rear) AM Saleen Replicas with Nitto NT555s, STEEDA Axle-Back, BBK Off-road X-pipe, Barton Industries Short Shifter, 3.73's, BOSS intake manifold, BBK 85mm TB, STEEDA 101mm BOSS CAI, SCT SF3/ BAMA Tuned, JLT Oil Sepator, Eibach Pro-Kit, Adj Panhard Bar, LCAs

HERS (Wife's) 2013 Ford Mustang/ Sterling Grey/ MODS: Flowmaster Axle-Back, K&N Drop-in filter
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klterrill View Post
I got bored and decided to do mine too but minus the clear coat. It's really hard to find what I needed around here since I am in a fairly small area of Germany so I did the best I could with what I had.
Attachment 164784

Attachment 164785

Attachment 164786
Are those finished? Why the different color lettering?
RC

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GTLaserRC View Post
Are those finished? Why the different color lettering?
RC
I never put any finish on them, just high temp engine paint that I found after searching for awhile. The place had no clear coat that would work but since it's going to be parked for the winter soon, I'll worry about it in the spring.

2012 Black GT/CS JLT CAI / Boss Intake Manifold / Bama 93R Tune / Moroso Oil Catch Can / Roush Axle Back / BMR LCAs / MGW Short Throw / Raxiom Smoke Headlights / DDM 35W HIDs / 20" TSW Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal Staggered 255 285 Nitto NT555 / Koni Yellows / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / Strano Adj Front and Rear Sway bars / Fayys 2 Watts Link / MM Camber Plates
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Looks alright klterrill but I would have done it black and silver to match your Boss engine, just my .02 cts...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Looks alright klterrill but I would have done it black and silver to match your Boss engine, just my .02 cts...
I already plan to get another set of covers since I've seen them for $80 and try out doing silver and blue instead of red and blue. I tried the red and blue first since they match with the fittings on the stainless lines I put in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in