"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Just finished a set of black with gray/silver lettering..Going on ebay soon.

RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

I wish I had remembered your thread before I went and painted my engine and coil covers! I missed out on some useful tips.
Anyways here is how it turned out.

post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

What do you think you missed out on? From here they look pretty Are the clear-coated and do you have some close up pics of just the covers?
RC

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GTLaserRC View Post
What do you think you missed out on? From here they look pretty Are the clear-coated and do you have some close up pics of just the covers?
RC
No I didn't clear-coat them, I just used a rattle can to spray them and a small paint brush to do the lettering.

6 Apply clear coat on area around 2 bars and around letters. You may do this after initial paint has dried to the touch. This will protect overspray while painting the letters.
7. Let Dry overnight.

Knowing this would've been helpful with the final touch-up.

I didn't take any pics of the coil covers off the car.
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1120 View Post
No I didn't clear-coat them, I just used a rattle can to spray them and a small paint brush to do the lettering.

6 Apply clear coat on area around 2 bars and around letters. You may do this after initial paint has dried to the touch. This will protect overspray while painting the letters.
7. Let Dry overnight.
Knowing this would've been helpful with the final touch-up.

I didn't take any pics of the coil covers off the car.
But you cant do that if you dont plan on clear coating final product.

Now, if you are not happy with the way the letters came out, you can still go back and do these steps, but you need REAL clear, not the rattle can stuff.
RC

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GTLaserRC View Post
Ok..It's official...a set of "GOTTA HAVE IT GREEN" (HD) finished:

In direct sunlight:

Shade:

These are sold already though.. Wish they had this color in 2011
RC
[/QUOTE]

Nice work bro! It looks really good. Professional quality

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

2007 Mustang Gt-Vista Blue
Sean Reilly

Now that is some QUALITY work!!..................Sean
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1120 View Post
I wish I had remembered your thread before I went and painted my engine and coil covers! I missed out on some useful tips.
Anyways here is how it turned out.

That looks awesome. Makes me want to do that to mine. I really want to dress my engine up.

Also, these coil covers look beautiful. Excellent work!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombii88 View Post
Let us know!

No problem..I started this as a How To Thread, and I realize that not everyone has the tools nor the time to do this, so some posts are turning into requests for buying and selling. So we keep with forum rules, please dont mention buying or selling within the threads...Obviously, anyone is free to send me a PM or Email, and if you have a set from me, please feel free to post them as part of your engine bay without mentioning any specific transactions!
Thanks
RC

post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombii88 View Post
Let us know!

Just finished another set of Grabber Blue. This color looks AWESOME when cleared and buffed out!!

RC

PONY Member

RC, I may have missed it in this thread, but is there another way to do the lettering besides an airbrush? I'm just trying to figure out in my head how I would tape off the area when using just spray cans. I don't want to spend all day cutting and trimming tape just to cover up lettering.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2013 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack, Tech Package, Recaro's
Roush Axle-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, JLT Oil Separator,
Bama Race Tune, Roush grille, Steeda Shifter Bracket
Stillen Lip Spoiler, 255/40/19 Front, 275/40/19 Rear
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelongpre View Post
RC, I may have missed it in this thread, but is there another way to do the lettering besides an airbrush? I'm just trying to figure out in my head how I would tape off the area when using just spray cans. I don't want to spend all day cutting and trimming tape just to cover up lettering.
Not sure of any other way that will make it look sharp and clean (no bleeding around the edges). I dont think I have the patience to tape all that up on 2 covers.
RC

PONY Member

I taped mine, but went the easy route. Just tape over the lettering, run your fingers along the edges of the lettering to get the tape down tight and show where the edges are, then use an exacto knife or razor blade to cut the letters out. Then you can just spray away! Took about 2 hours, but well worth it! Ive also heard of people using paint pens, but that doesnt get the walls of the lettering.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2011GT View Post
I taped mine, but went the easy route. Just tape over the lettering, run your fingers along the edges of the lettering to get the tape down tight and show where the edges are, then use an exacto knife or razor blade to cut the letters out. Then you can just spray away! Took about 2 hours, but well worth it! Ive also heard of people using paint pens, but that doesnt get the walls of the lettering.
Your way is better than the paint pen, but It takes me about 30 minutes to do the "paint and wipe" method, and the lines are perfect because you wipe away the top surface. The paint pen is

RC

post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Just finished a set of Impact Blue Metallic with Silver lettering for a customer today..I like:

In dim lighting:

In Bright Sunlight:

Before and after buffing out (post wet-sanding)

RC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page