"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread. - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

"OFFICIAL" How to Paint Your Coil Covers Thread.

Ok, so Ive been posting several different colors of Coil Covers I've been painting. I am still available to paint covers for anyone that does not have the tools or time to paint these on their own, but I thought I would post on "my" steps for painting. Keep in mind that I use professional grade airbrush, sprayers, clear, and paint (in most cases), but the steps are the same. You can also apply these steps to other plastic engine parts (radiator/engine covers, fuse box cover, etc.) At the end are some pictures of the finished product (sorry, but I dont have photos of the process). The steps start out assuming you have stock covers in perfect condition.

1. Using a course Scotch pad, wipe over the entire surface
2. Wipe surface with mineral spirits or 90% alcohol
3. Using Adhesion promoter, follow directions on can, 3 coats
4. For light colors, use an AUTO type primer, then sand with 400-600 according to the primer directions. For darker colors, can skip to step 5.
5. Apply paint..at least two light coats before applying medium coat
If you want a different color lettering and bars, follow steps 6-10, otherwise skip to Step 11.
6 Apply clear coat on area around 2 bars and around letters. You may do this after initial paint has dried to the touch. This will protect overspray while painting the letters.
7. Let Dry overnight.
8. Tape off area around bars and large areas around letters (No need to tape off every millimeter of the area)
9. Using an airbrush, paint the bars, then remove tape, wiping off overspray with REDUCER OR Airbrush Thinner...NOT PAINT or LACQUER THINNER. The clear you have already sprayed around this area will protect paint underneath from being removed with thinner.
10. Paint 3-4 letters at a time, then quickly remove tape and wipe overspray. Do this until all the letters are painted. By now all the painting should be done.
11. You are now ready for clear coat. Lightly scuff painted surface with a fine Scotch pad.
12. Wipe with tack cloth (I use compressed air)...There should be NO dust on the item before clear coating.
13. Spray clear coat..I use 2-part professional auto clear coat, 3 light layers and one medium-heavy layer, with 10-15 minutes flash time..You need to follow recommendation on the clear product you use.
14. Let dry over night.
15. Now you are ready for Wet Sanding- If you are happy with clear coat finish, you may install and be on your way, but there is nothing like buffing out clear for the glass, mirror shine and to remove the orange peel look.
a. 1000 grit
b. 1500 grit
c. 2000 grit--all should be WET SANDING!
16. Buffing- If you know how to buff with rubbing compound and polishing compound, you may do so. I use Adam's 3-Stage compounds with Porter Cable 7424 XP. It is very difficult to achieve a mirror-shine doing this by hand.
a. Green Compound-This brings out a shine immediately
b. Orange Compound
c. White Compound -polishing stage
17. I apply Adam's Sealant as a final stage, since it is not recommended to apply was so soon after clear.

These are MY steps and can be varied if you have painting skills. Here are some pics of covers so far:

Triple Blaze Yellow (NQ)

Grabber Blue (CI)

Race Red (PQ)

High Performance White (HP)

Black (generic)

Silver Metallic (Spray Can)

Candy Apple (Spray Can)

ENJOY!!

RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012
PONY Member

Great work, these are awesome!

2011 Race Red 5.0 -6MT 3:73's--Roush RS3 clone. Aluminatored!
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks, now all the information is out.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Very professional

2011 GT Preminum, Red Candy Metallic, 4.10, Electronics, Rear View, Comfort, Security, Borla, 20" Saleen, FRPP springs, CS front valance w/fogs, Roush billet grille, Roush TVS 625hp, Kooks LT's and Catted H Pipe, Tremec Magumn XL, McLeod RXT, AutoMeter Gauges, Dynotech DS, Steeda adjustable UCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCA's, Steeda A/O Separator, Tokico D-Specs, Raptor Shift Light, engine by Shrader Performance, Tune by ProDyno, 643rwhp, 548lb/ft tq
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

I hope if someobody decides to do this on their own they post their results. I've had to redo parts more than once because of messing up.

RC

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Just had a member from another forum order a set for his new 2013...GOTTA HAVE IT GREEN (HD)!! That should look HAWT with the black outlined letters. Will post pics in a couple weeks when finished.
RC

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member

94GT, your skills are impressive, so don't take this question as criticism . . .

Do the race red covers have a bunch of orange peel in them, or is that just the glare in your pictures? The other colors look smooth as silk . . .
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
94GT, your skills are impressive, so don't take this question as criticism . . .

Do the race red covers have a bunch of orange peel in them, or is that just the glare in your pictures? The other colors look smooth as silk . . .
No offense taken.. That picture was actually taken BEFORE my 3-stage wet sanding and 4 stage buffing process. I forgot to take one after that.
RC

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012
GT Member

I mailed back my originals today. Hope the business name is ok. Got pics of yours coil covers on my engine. Looks great man!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I mailed back my originals today. Hope the business name is ok. Got pics of yours coil covers on my engine. Looks great man!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
WELL? :?:
:youcandothis:

PONY Member

I may do mine in a couple weeks, I consider myself pretty decent with a spray can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2013 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack, Tech Package, Recaro's
Roush Axle-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, JLT Oil Separator,
Bama Race Tune, Roush grille, Steeda Shifter Bracket
Stillen Lip Spoiler, 255/40/19 Front, 275/40/19 Rear
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelongpre View Post
I may do mine in a couple weeks, I consider myself pretty decent with a spray can.
It's not so much the spray can..These cover fairly easy. What REALLY makes them is the black lettering and clear coat buffed out.

Not finished yet, but got a request last week for "Gotta Have it Green" (HD)

GT Member

Ok these pics aren't very good but my camera wasn't charged so I had to use my phone. I'll get out in better sunlight with a real camera this weekend. Looks way better in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineCover1.JPG
Views:	4880
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	158795   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineCover2.JPG
Views:	3547
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	158796  

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
Ok these pics aren't very good but my camera wasn't charged so I had to use my phone. I'll get out in better sunlight with a real camera this weekend. Looks way better in real life.
Those are some NICE Shiny covers
Where did you get THOSE?

post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Ok..It's official...a set of "GOTTA HAVE IT GREEN" (HD) finished:

In direct sunlight:

Shade:

These are sold already though.. Wish they had this color in 2011
RC[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page