Transmission noises 2013 Mustang GT 6MT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Transmission noises 2013 Mustang GT 6MT

Hi,

Just bought my 2013 GT Premium, and on the way home from the dealer (90 miles), I heard noise from the manual tranny (mechanical clattering as opposed to a whine) in all gears. My previous ride (a 2011 GT, also a manual) was much quieter.

The gearbox works just fine (smoother than my '11) and the car drives great. No problems or bad noises from the clutch, either.

Anybody having the same issues with the 2013 GT manuals?

TIA for your help.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium, MT82, Comfort,
Electronics, 3.73 gears, Ford Racing Strut Brace,
Boss 302S 19" wheels,
255-40-19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports,
Bama 91 Octane Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

yeah someone else noted that and changed the fluid and seemed to improve it

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
Banned

Yea, I have one the last 2012's built which has all the supposed MT 82 changes and the same transmission as yours. It has made mechanical whirring noises (kind of like a blender) in the lower gears since day one. If the window is down or the radio or a/c on, it really can't be heard. Except for the typical 2nd gear cold notch, it shifts fine.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012
PONY Member

Take it back to the dealer right away.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

My 2013 GT has a notchyness about it when it is cold.... 3, 4, and 5th gears......and a whine around 60-65 mph on the highway in 6th.... does anyones have the same symptoms?

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Yea, I have one the last 2012's built which has all the supposed MT 82 changes and the same transmission as yours. It has made mechanical whirring noises (kind of like a blender) in the lower gears since day one. If the window is down or the radio or a/c on, it really can't be heard. Except for the typical 2nd gear cold notch, it shifts fine.
Update--took it to the dealer and let the service advisor listen. He didn't think it was problematic but suggested that I put about 1500 miles on the clock and come back if it still was bothersome (I had about 400 miles on the car when I took it to the dealer). The transmission is much smoother than my '11 GT even though it's noisy. No whine yet (except from the owner). If it doesn't get worse, I'll resign myself to living with it.

Boss 302S 19" wheels,
Bama 91 Octane Race Tune
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjp View Post
My 2013 GT has a notchyness about it when it is cold.... 3, 4, and 5th gears......and a whine around 60-65 mph on the highway in 6th.... does anyones have the same symptoms?
Are you sure the whine is coming from the trans? Highway whine at those speed is often from the rear axle and is very typical with 3:73's.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012
Apprentice

I have 3.73 on my 2013 GT only sound I hear at 65MPH is the sound of my Stang cutting the wind
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure the whine is coming from the trans? Highway whine at those speed is often from the rear axle and is very typical with 3:73's.
Evan, the cold notchiness is experienced by almost everyone. The whine at 60-65 is most likely not from the transmission, but from the rear diff as Steve suggested. I'd take it in, or at least mention it at your first service.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

OK about the whine, although I swear it is coming from the tranny.....

With the shifting gears, it seems to shift smoother when pushing the shifter up and slightly right in 3rd, and down and slightly right in 4th which is odd but it brought a smile to my face at how much smoother and better it was. That is the LAST thing I need right now after my 2002's transmission problems...

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
Banned

Whining in this driveline is often from the gears due to tolerances even though there is a slight amount of play in the shaft vs the rear end. My driveline clunks a bit when shifting at lower RPM and it whines a bit on harder acceleration but you have to really listen for it and isn't audible over the radio, even at lower volumes. Put some miles on it and if it get worse, take her in. Warranties are there for a reason.
Banned

Quote:
OK about the whine, although I swear it is coming from the tranny.....

With the shifting gears, it seems to shift smoother when pushing the shifter up and slightly right in 3rd, and down and slightly right in 4th which is odd but it brought a smile to my face at how much smoother and better it was. That is the LAST thing I need right now after my 2002's transmission problems...
A good method for the 2-3 shift and 3-4 shift on these transmissions (because of the narrow gates) is to let the shifter centering spring do its work. I shift with the open palm of my hand behind the shift knob on the 2-3 shift and use a similar technique on the front of the shift knob for the 3-4 shift. This allows the shifter centering spring to keep the lever in the proper gate as I am not wrestling with the shifter to "find" the gate.
Banned

Quote:
A good method for the 2-3 shift and 3-4 shift on these transmissions (because of the narrow gates) is to let the shifter centering spring do its work. I shift with the open palm of my hand behind the shift knob on the 2-3 shift and use a similar technique on the front of the shift knob for the 3-4 shift. This allows the shifter centering spring to keep the lever in the proper gate as I am not wrestling with the shifter to "find" the gate.

Agreed. I also don't like the shift knob I have which is the bulky finger like shifter rather than a ball knob. One of my friends drove my car one night because I had a few too many and he was CONSTANTLY hitting the shifting gates because he was wrestling the shifter rather than working WITH the shifter. I think switching to a ball knob actually would help shifter feel enough for me too vs. changing out my entire assembly (even though I probably will). A new bracket helps out a lot too to make shifts more direct.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Update: took my car to another dealer for a second opinion. The technician acknowledged the tranny noise and conceded that it might not be normal. He wanted to do some research and drive another '13 GT before he passed judgment (which will happen next week).

I appreciate the dealer's willingness to look into the problem, but I suspect that I'm a long way from closure. In the interim, I have a noisy transmission that shifts smoothly.

Boss 302S 19" wheels,
Bama 91 Octane Race Tune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Agreed. I also don't like the shift knob I have which is the bulky finger like shifter rather than a ball knob. One of my friends drove my car one night because I had a few too many and he was CONSTANTLY hitting the shifting gates because he was wrestling the shifter rather than working WITH the shifter. I think switching to a ball knob actually would help shifter feel enough for me too vs. changing out my entire assembly (even though I probably will). A new bracket helps out a lot too to make shifts more direct.
I've got the Boss 302 ball and IMO it is a MAJOR improvement over the stock stub knob.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page