2012 Mustang GT/CS engine tick - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2012 Mustang GT/CS engine tick

Hey guys I have a '12 gt built 8/11. I bought it brand new and it just hit 7000 miles. I got my first oil change at around 3500 miles and second at 7100 miles. Before my first oil change I would randomly get the tick but it went away after the first oil change, and now it came back. I get the tick at around 800-2000rpm while in neutral or driving. IMy mods are steeda CAI and steeda 93 tune. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Maybe its the first signs of engine failure? It drives perfect, nothing has changed, no problems, just the tick. Yes, I have read that some consider the tick normal. I'm concerned that if anything is wrong, nothing will be fixed under warranty because of the CAI and tune. Both oil changes done at my local ford dealership. Any info is greatly appreciated.

2012 Mustang GT CS Ingot Silver 3.73 Gears, Borla S type Axle Backs, BBK after cat x pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
GT Member

Search for "ignitor" tick if it sounds like the below (there are many threads). If so, it has nothing to do with your tune, but you might be screwed if Ford realizes the tune is there. Lots of threads on that, too.

Good luck.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick - YouTube

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just double checked and I don't have the tick at idle, only when in neutral 800-2000k most of the time, but more noticeable in the 800-1200k range. I also noticed the belt is making a lot of noise, not sure if it's normal. I'll be posting videos soon

2012 Mustang GT CS Ingot Silver 3.73 Gears, Borla S type Axle Backs, BBK after cat x pipe

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Forgot to mention I heard the tick while driving in that same 800-2000k range

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2012 Mustang GT/CS Belt Noise - YouTube
Video of the noisy belt

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
Apprentice

Take it to the dealer

TSB
12-1-10 5.0L WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND A/C COMPRESSOR STRETCHY BELT CONFIGURATION - LIGHT LOWER-END ENGINE KNOCK

Publication Date: January 18, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine, manual transmission and air conditioning (A/C) compressor stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light lower end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the front end accessory drive (FEAD) and A/C compressor stretchy belt. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-05. Start engine and re-evaluate concern. Is light, lower-end engine knock still present?
Yes - Do not continue with this article. Perform normal diagnostics. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00.
No - Obtain Service Kit and proceed to Step 2.
Remove the FEAD belt tensioner and bolt from the engine front cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05 - Exploded view.
Determine the engine built date. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
If the engine build date is on or before 4/15/2011, replace the engine front cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01.
If the engine build date is after 4/15/2011, do not replace the engine front cover. Use an 8 X 1.25 mm tap to clean the mounting locations noted on the engine front cover. Use compressed air to clean any remaining debris. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 12-1-10

Install A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley and A/C compressor drive belt idler pulley bolt supplied in the service kit. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft).
Install A/C drive compressor belt tensioner supplied in the service kit. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft).
Install new A/C compressor belt supplied in the service kit. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05, 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles, for proper belt routing. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 12-1-10

Install the FEAD belt tensioner and bolt. Tighten to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft). Refer to WSM, Section 303-05, FEAD - Exploded view, 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles.
Install FEAD belt. Refer to WSM, Section 303-05, FEAD - Exploded view 5.0L (4V) late build vehicles.
Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) and identify the vehicle. Answer the IDS screen prompts according to the current vehicle A/C belt configuration.
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) using IDS release 76.03 or later. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction. Select IDS Toolbox Icon, Powertrain, Service Functions, then Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
CR3Z-8620-AA Kit-Drive Belt - Boss
BR3Z-8620-DA Kit-Drive Belt - GT
BR3Z-6019-G Front Cover
XW4Z-6700-A Crankshaft Seal - Front

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120110A 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.0 Hr.
120110B 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission: Diagnose, Install New Engine Front Cover, A/C Compressor Drive Belt Idler Pulley, Tensioner, And Belt Includes Time To Reprogram The PCM And Perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 5.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6006 42
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2012 Mustang Gt Engine Tick 800-2000 RPM - YouTube
Engine Tick 800-2000 RPM

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

[QUOTE=Beernuts82;3102375]Take it to the dealer

TSB
12-1-10 5.0L WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND A/C COMPRESSOR STRETCHY BELT CONFIGURATION - LIGHT LOWER-END ENGINE KNOCK

Publication Date: January 18, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine, manual transmission and air conditioning (A/C) compressor stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light lower end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Do you think they will give me a hard time over the CAI and tune though?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
GT Member

Has the TSB above been proven to work? I don't want them pulling off the engine front cover if it's not going to solve the issue.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
Has the TSB above been proven to work? I don't want them pulling off the engine front cover if it's not going to solve the issue.
Same here. I don't want them to get into my engine for no reason

Rookie

I have the same problem. I went to 2 different dealers and they said it is "Normal." Personally, I don't like it. These new 5.0 are VERY noisey motors!

SilverChief12
chicago, IL.
GT Member

Op, the only noise I hear in your first video is the "flutter" sound from the top of the engine. That noise is "normal" and comes from some valve that the computer turns on a off. Was there a different noise we were supposed to hear?

On the second video, I couldn't hear anything, probably because you had to record from inside the car. However, the 800-2000 RPM thing is a characteristic of the "ignitor" tick. But, I have no idea if that's what you got. Read here:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...range-fix.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ems-again.html

Heavy D -- I have only read a couple threads where the owner says that TSB fixed their "tick." Most folks say it didn't work. I strongly believe it fixes some particular "tick," but the dealers are trying to apply it to every tick they see because they don't know how to tackle the problem any other way.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaicedo91 View Post
Hey guys I have a '12 gt built 8/11. I bought it brand new and it just hit 7000 miles. I got my first oil change at around 3500 miles and second at 7100 miles. Before my first oil change I would randomly get the tick but it went away after the first oil change, and now it came back. I get the tick at around 800-2000rpm while in neutral or driving.
Hi dcaicedo91,

I recommend you make an appointment with your dealer and go on a test drive with the tech, so you can show them what you’re experiencing. Then, you can PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Heavy D -- I have only read a couple threads where the owner says that TSB fixed their "tick." Most folks say it didn't work. I strongly believe it fixes some particular "tick," but the dealers are trying to apply it to every tick they see because they don't know how to tackle the problem any other way.
I don't fault the dealers as the 800-2000 RPM metallic ping (what I like to call it) is a random tick which is harder to diagnose than a constant tick and really they can only follow Ford's guidance.

Also does anyone have a theory or explanation on how your engine could be quiet for an entire year then after a single oil change have the tick just appear? Does oil viscosity, deposit build up, filter design, etc alter or mask this condition that is maybe always present in these engines? There's obviously a variable that is effected by the oil change that brings the noise to the forefront.
GT Member

Well, at least for the ignitor tick, the going theory for a while was that there was an additive put in the oil from the factory that would keep the tick away until the next oil change. Allegedly, Ford did this in anticipation that it was only a break-in issue that wouldn't be a problem by the time the first oil change came around. The fact that they put an additive in my car that took the sound away instantly would support that idea. Of course, it always came back upon oil change.

Again, that was the going theory for a while, but I don't think I buy it anymore. Surely, if that was what was happening, Ford would have realized that the matter didn't go away with break-in, and they fixed it by now in the new cars (2011.5+).

So, alas, I have no real theory :yelpleased:. Something in the additive worked INSTANTLY. The stuff looked like black shoe polish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page