I'm thinking the Borla S-Types are too loud :( - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I'm thinking the Borla S-Types are too loud :(

Hey guys. I got the Borla S-Type catbacks and they sound phenomenal. Tone-wise they sound amazing. But they're pretty damn loud... louder than I was expecting.

Driving around town I hear my car just thunderously echoing off of buildings along the street, especially when driving down city blocks. I feel like I'm that ********* that has a super loud car just to deafen people and annoy them, but that was never my goal. I wanted the sound of the engine to sound better... more gurgly and muscle car-ish than stock, but not ridiculously loud.

Does anyone feel the same? Also I'm wondering if there would be a similar exhaust (i.e. better tone than stock) that would be quieter. I really love the S-Types but I also like to step on it, and when I do, even slightly, it gets really loud really fast.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
Apprentice

Well dont get Mac Pro chamber either,My car is prob ably gonna get me a ticket,,,Gonna have to find a equal muffler but lot less noise

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

try slp loud mouths we have those on our 2001 gt and their beefy and sounds VERY nice

2003 SVT Cobra: 3" pulley, BBK RAI, Bassani x pipe with high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers and 3.5" tips, Dyno tuned.
2008:K&N cold air intake.Magnaflow exhaust
Projector headlights, LED tail lights.DG custom window louvers
GT500 rear spoiler, Roush front bumper, Tru-fiber GTS hood. CCFL fogs and headlights.2001: SLP LM1 exhaust.painted calipers and rims.SCT 4 bank eliminator chip with Bama custom tunes. K&N FIPK, Black Mach 1 spoiler, Mach 1 hood stripe

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
Banned

I think Borla also makes the FRPP mufflers. There is a 49 state legal version and a 50 state legal version (quieter because Calif has to nanny everything). The S types may be the same as the 49 state version of the FRPP muffler. So you could get the FRPP 50 state legal muffler to quiet it down or just go with the very popular GT 500 muffler.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
Rookie

I just installed GT500 mufflers on my 2013 GT and they sound awesome. A bit louder than stock but not Borla or Roush loud. They get moderately loud under throttle but quiet right down at cruise. Sound no louder than stock at 60+ and they are a bargain at only $309.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Hey guys. I got the Borla S-Type catbacks and they sound phenomenal. Tone-wise they sound amazing. But they're pretty damn loud... louder than I was expecting.

Driving around town I hear my car just thunderously echoing off of buildings along the street, especially when driving down city blocks. I feel like I'm that ********* that has a super loud car just to deafen people and annoy them, but that was never my goal. I wanted the sound of the engine to sound better... more gurgly and muscle car-ish than stock, but not ridiculously loud.

Does anyone feel the same? Also I'm wondering if there would be a similar exhaust (i.e. better tone than stock) that would be quieter. I really love the S-Types but I also like to step on it, and when I do, even slightly, it gets really loud really fast.
If you feel like your being too loud on those city streets shift up another gear.
I see in your sig you have 3.73 gears, with those you can be into 5th gear at 25 mph if you want to.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member

This is coming from a person that was originally going to go with a Corsa out of fear of the S-Types being too loud. I love the sound my S-Types but honestly my disappointment is that they are a little too quiet. They really aren't loud at all and the only time I can tell they are substantially louder than stock is at cold start. They have a more aggressive tone than stock and are a little loader at WOT but cruising around are stock quiet.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I have the exact opposite problem. My Borla-S exhaust is really only heard at start up or when I really get on it. It can hardly be heard during normal city driving.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012
PONY Member

I'd try the GT 500s. I haven't heard them in person but everyone who wants the classic sound but keep it respectful seems to go with those.

Haha I thought the S-Types were obnoxious loud when I had the offroad setup but now I think they're too quiet on my new car.

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

How long have you had them? The reason I ask is I thought mine were too loud when I first got mine, I was like holy crap they are loud but it didn't take long for that to wear off.

With that said I think a OR/X, cat delete or Headers would tip mine over the edge of being too loud, so, if I ever headed down that path I'd probably have to swap out my mufflers.

Since you've already went down the Borla path, (I know its not cheap) the Touring muffler would be what I would be looking at doing and I dont think you will have any problems selling your S-type mufflers, there maybe somebody interested in trading.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
PONY Member

I just installed Corsa Xtremes. Great sound. No drone. My wife even likes it.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
I have the exact opposite problem. My Borla-S exhaust is really only heard at start up or when I really get on it. It can hardly be heard during normal city driving.
Trade you for my Roush AB's. You'll be heard.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, 3.73's,
Hotchkis springs, 18x9.5,18x11 Forgestar CF5's, Lethal o/r H-Pipe, JLT CAI, BBR tune, Hotchkis panhard, UMI LCA relocation brackets, BMR LCA's, MGW, GT500 strut mounts, KYB struts, GT500 ab's, Steeda motor mounts, NX plate

2003 Mach 1-R.I.P
2003 Mach 1-Procharged*SOLD*
PONY Member

They are perfect; quit whining.....Just kidding....mine are a little louder than I expected, but can be managed by shifting sooner and easing on the throttle when you don't want to be heard......for those that said they aren't much louder than stock.....please see an audiologist at your next opportunity to be fitted for your hearing aid....

2012 Black GT/CS; steeda ultra lights; koni yellows; max motorsports caster camber plates; fays2 watts link; f14 forgestars 20x9/20x11; nitto invo; borla axle backs; other stuff.....
Apprentice

I don't know much about the Borla S-type except what I've read and seen on the internet. However, I agree that if you want something more civilized, the GT 500's might be the perfect fit for you.

I have the GT 500 mufflers (and ProCal), and I love them. I think Ford must have put a lot of time into developing those mufflers, because they are just about perfect in my opinion. They sound even better and are also a little louder with the ProCal tune.

Not only do they sound great, but they are only loud when you would want them to be. I can see them being a little soft for the hardcore crowd, but I'm older and my car is my daily driver. I don't want to be that guy who the neighbors hate and the cops love to harass. Been there, done that, and done did it some more! It's a lot more fun when you are still young and misguided enough to assume that everyone is thinking "Wow, that sounds awesome!" rather than "Look at THIS Jackass!" though...

I first bought Flowmaster American Thunder Series mufflers, and that was a disaster. It was partially my fault for forgetting that I'm not "That Guy" anymore, because they were WAY too loud. But, they were also of the worst quality I've ever seen, they sounded like crap, and they droned so bad they should have been named "The Predator Series". The first set I got had one of the tips welded on crooked, and the other one rattled. The inlet pipes were also crooked, which made it next to impossible to get a good seal.

This was not what I remembered from Flowmaster back in the day, so I swapped them for another set. Same problems. I guess these days they just pick up random undocumented workers from a parking lot somewhere and ask them if they know how to use a welder...and pay them in beer at the beginning of each day!

Oh well, should have just bought the GT 500's to start with, live and learn. I'm going to pick up the Boss 302 side exhaust kit next, which I think should work pretty well with the GT 500 mufflers.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
PONY Member

I think Borla makes a quieter one than the S type. I have the ATAKs and love them... No drone. I remember there were three tears/levels of exhaust...the touring series would have been best for you. Have a listen.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page