2012 GT 2nd & 3rd gear lockout - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

2012 GT 2nd & 3rd gear lockout

I have always driven Stangs with manual transmissions. Before my 2012 GT I had a 1999 GT. This 2nd & 3rd lockout on the 2012 transmission is annoying and the owners manual does not have a by-pass for this feature. Does anyone know a way to get around the 2nd & 3rd gear lockout or is it simply operator error on my part? Do I just need to turn off the traction control and leave it off? Thanks and all ideas and thoughts are welcome!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
Rookie

Sounds like skip shift is kicking in. You'll either need to tune it out, or get under the car and disconnect the solenoid. I disabled it on mine after it kicked in when pulling into traffic.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
ive not had this problem on mine yet, my car only locks out first when im going 60+ but that's normal on most cars. Every other gear goes in fine.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myersn024 View Post
Sounds like skip shift is kicking in. You'll either need to tune it out, or get under the car and disconnect the solenoid. I disabled it on mine after it kicked in when pulling into traffic.
I did the same thing, I bought a BAMA tune from AM and there is a check box when you order to remove the skip shift.

Steeda CAI|BAMA Race Tune|Borla ATAK axle backs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
GT Member

What rear end gear ratio does your car have?
Mine has 3.73s and maybe its just the way I drive but I can count on one hand how many times skip-shift has activated on me in 24,000+ miles.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
Apprentice

Why are you driving around with the nannies on??

Double tap the traction control button to put the stability control in sport mode, or hold the button down (while stopped and brake applied) to disable both systems.

Either of these will disable skip-shift.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

I've never had mine do the skip shift thing. But I have never driven it with the TC on either.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Easy to disconnect.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...kip-shift.html

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryonl View Post
...or is it simply operator error on my part?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
...Double tap the traction control button to put the stability control in sport mode, or hold the button down (while stopped and brake applied) to disable both systems...

Either of these will disable skip-shift.
I don't think Advanced Track or Traction Control have anything to do with the skip shift solenoid.

If your issues is the skipshift, running the rpm up higher before shifting will inhibit it's enabling. As posted, there are a couple options to disable it. Unplug or tune.

Mine wasn't tuned out for ~ the first 4 months and over 12K miles that I owned the car (had to wait for CARB approval on the 2012 ProCal), and I only had skipshift engage once, the first morning after I received the car.

If it's a driver issue as you ask, I'd suggest you read this, paying particular attention to post # 15.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-shifts.html

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
PONY Member

It's Skip shift.

You can either:

1. Unplug the solenoid (need some way to plug and secure the loose cable)

2. Tune the powertrain.

I've personally just learned to counter it by first swinging it through neutral quick before dropping it into 2nd. That sweeps seems to clear the lock and engages 2nd all the time.

It's annoying but it's also what allows Ford to claim 26 MPG HWY and avoid the gas guzzler.

2011 GT 5.0 Performance White | 6SPD MT82
Borla | Corsa | 3DCarbon
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member

Thanks all for the replies. Pressing down on the traction control button for 5 seconds with the engine at idle and your foot on the brake does disable the skip shift. I just got back from a short cruise with the " nannies" turned off and this car felt and drove like an entirely different beast! WOW! Now before you giggle at me let me explain my timidness toward the car. I am a commercial pilot. Everything I do is planned and double checked. I leave nothing to guess or chance. Thanks once again folks!

1964.5 convertible and a 2012 Sterling Grey GT. 100 hp. and 412 hp. Go Bama, Roll Tide! 2015 National Champions! Clemson put up one heck of a fight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page