2011 Mustang GT blue California edition. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2011 Mustang GT blue California edition.

Hello guys and gals! I just traded in my 2011 V6 camaro for a 2011 GT 5.0 California edition auto in grabber blue. I originally went in to switch for a 2013 GT but the dealer gave me a deal I just couldn't refuse on 2011 cali edition w/ only 14k miles that already had a flowmaster exahust installed so I had to take it. I was a hardcore STi guy for over 10 years, then tried the domestic with a v6 camaro, but just wasn't cutting it, so I went in to the dealer today and was going to trade her in but the dealer couldn't locate a 2013 GT in manual plain base which I wanted. The price was climbing 33k plus if I wanted something located quick but I didn't want to go over my budget.

So now I am a "newby" all over again :laughlitt. I already know what the return of 5.0 is capable of from . being on my ex home camaro5, but all I really know is that I have a 2011 5.0 california edition with 14k miles, auto tranny with flowmaster exhaust.

Now, I don't know if the baking weather that's been in 100F all week played a big part in this, but the car just seem a little under powered. It definitely pull hard if I wot, but overall, it feel a little sluggish. Also, there seem to be a short lag just before I wot before the car pulls hard. Throttle response does not seem crispy. Does the 5.0 also have a low/high octane map just like the ss camaro? I know the 5.0 require a premium fuel, but who knows what gas the car is currently filled with.

Is there anything I should know guys. Any important things that I need to know about my new 5.0 cali edition.

Any help to start me off in the right direction would be much appreciated. This is my first auto tranny in 15 years.

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
GT Member

Maybe you have stock gears. 3.55's or 3.73's are an option on the m82. Not sure for the A/T. Throttle lag can be improved with a tune.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the reply dusman, but it look like the 2011 5.0 stock 6 speed auto gear is 3.15's which sucks I'm used to driving my camaro 6 speed manual with 3.91's. Maybe that's why I'm feeling so much throttle lag or could it be more because it's an auto. I wish I knew if there's a lower gear in my 5.0. According to carfax, this car I got been imported to middle east then came back with flowmaster. It kind of make you wonder if the previous owner really only wanted exhaust. It make me wonder if the gears are stock.

DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012
GT Member
Classic Member

auto's have 3.31 rear gear ratio stock i believe.
the new 5.0 does not require premium fuel it just wont make the advertised power on regular fuel, yes it has different maps for the fuels and the engine will know if you put in premium or not and tune accordingly.

the ambient air will definitely make a difference but not too much. with 3.31 gears and an auto trans, it wont feel as fast as the same car with a manual transmission.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

stock is 3.31 for manual and 3.15 for auto. Maybe I'm just so used to driving a manual that I need to get accustomed to driving an auto, and also throw in a lower gear ASAP!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Congratulations! and Welcome! Post up some pics when you can.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Congratulations! and Welcome! Post up some pics when you can.

Thank you whirledpeaz. I will post some pics tonight, but I figured you guys already probably seen tons of grabber blue california edition 5.0 LOL.

Quick question, the oil life monitoring system in my car say I am at 7%!! Look like the car was traded in about 2 month ago and was just sitting so I'm not sure if the oil could be contaminated or not. My dealer lights were out yesterday so I couldn't get any free service that day. I usually do oil changes myself on all cars I own. It feel better that way, but is 100F again outside and I'm not going to kill myself just to go under my car to do my own oil change. On my camaro I didn't let get pass 4k miles which put me right around 50% oil life status. I don't know how you guys do things here but am I ok with 7%?? Do you guys wait until it actually hit zero?

Also, do you change your own or do you take it to a dealer?

Thanks guys. Been on the car scene for over 15 years and I feel like a little kid again LOL.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012
Apprentice

Congrats on the new purchase! I love the Cali's and you picked one of the best colors IMO (Black and GB) but im biased. I would say the lag you are experiencing is a combo of both undergearing and the automatic. My wife has the auto (v6 granted) but the auto is stock tune is far too smooth. It is much faster than it feels though, it's deceptively smooth. Throw some gears in and a tune if youre not concerned with warranty and she will be singing a different tune. Also don't forget to check out gtcsregistry.com, and you can order your limited production certificate from fordshowparts.com.

Welcome aboard!

HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night-Mare View Post
Congrats on the new purchase! I love the Cali's and you picked one of the best colors IMO (Black and GB) but im biased. I would say the lag you are experiencing is a combo of both undergearing and the automatic. My wife has the auto (v6 granted) but the auto is stock tune is far too smooth. It is much faster than it feels though, it's deceptively smooth. Throw some gears in and a tune if youre not concerned with warranty and she will be singing a different tune. Also don't forget to check out gtcsregistry.com, and you can order your limited production certificate from fordshowparts.com.

Welcome aboard!
Thank you nightmare for the info. I would never have known. I am concerned about my previous question tho. Do you think I am ok with my oil life system showing 7%?? I have no idea when you guys change your oil but I used to change mine once it reach 50% in my camaro and that would put me around 4k miles. I always do my own oil change but it's 100F+ right now and is sunday so I'm sure most ford dealers are closed.

I think the main reason for the laggy feel is due to being so used to my 3.91 manual camaro LOL. My new girl definitely goes when she goes tho. It almost feel like a boost or vtec kicking in all of a sudden. I def have to get used to driving an auto again LOL.

Thanks night mare!

Apprentice

Your due for an oil change based on the indicator, but you might want to consider that maybe the dealer did it and try forgot to reset the life? Who knows. I wouldn't let it prevent me from driving the car but I would be sure to get it done at the first opportunity.

You mentioned vtec, and your correct there- these cars have twin independent variable cam timing that advances timing based on oil pressure.

HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your GT/CS, gotta love the California Special!

7% oil life, means when you get at 0% you just need to change the oil within the next 100 miles. So yes, you can drive with no fear even if you have 2% oil life left. Kind of weird the dealership didn't reset that when they sold you that Mustang, I would make sure with them that they did the oil change.
From now on, you should see this sign every 10,000 miles (more or less depending on your driving).

As for your lag, with your automatic, I've heard that before too (I have a manual), and I think the only 2 options you have is getting higher gears (3.73s should do), and/or a tune; that will do it (I've got the Ford Racing Tune, but I've heard it's not that great with an automatic, so you might want to consider another brand like Bama...)

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
PONY Member
S197 Member

There is a TSB about the oil life monitor. TSB 11-3-35 I believe. Basically it corrects the problem of some cars olm being at 0% at 5k instead of 10k miles. Mine does this but I always change the oil sooner than 5k anyway.

I'd probably go ahead and change it anyway myself. 8 quarts of oil and an FL500S filter.

PONY Member

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft is a good way to perk up accelration with Gears. It will feel like a totally new car. I'd take a look also and see what kind of exhaust is on the car if it's just an axle back or a cat back set-up. Look at the rear suspension and see if anything has been done back there.

Do you plan on keeping it the stock height or adding springs at some point? The stock CS wheel tire combo is a little on the small side once you add some power it will be a weak link.

The Bama Tune I believe there is a thread going now on Auto's and what the tune does you may want to review. Gears and the Driveshaft will be a mechanical way to improve acceleration vastly but will not fix the little bit of lag as you go WOT, a tune will and firm up the shifts.

I'd get the oil changed fill it up with 91-93 whatever you have where you are, toss a new air filter(I'd do it anyway because I'm anal) in if it's dirty and that alone should make it feel a bit better if the dealer had 87 in it.

Go window shopping after that and make your list of what your going to attack first.

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package
GT Member

Gears will make a difference but not in the throttle lag department. You will need a tune for this. If you get gears I wouldn't recommend going over 3.55's and yes stock auto gear is 3.15.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
PONY Member

With my auto I switched from factory 3.15 to 3.73 and then to 4.10 once I installed a stall converter 1st and 2nd gear were virtually useless. I am now with 3.55 and overall it's a way better gear to go with. With a automatic the only gears I would suggest are 3.31 or 3.55

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page