Compatible radiator fluids with Ford Orange Coolant - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Compatible radiator fluids with Ford Orange Coolant

The manual recommends using Ford Orange special radiator coolant which apparently is only sold at Ford, but online it appears to be ethylene glycol based, the same as Prestone which states it can be used with any color coolant? Is it safe to use/mix any other coolant with the ford orange coolant that comes with the car?

Also, for those that have a coolant tester, will it really last 5 years or 150,000 miles before needing changing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Why even take a chance,if you need to add coolant go down to Ford"s parts dept and buy a gallon so you have some at home,it can"t be that much different in $$/ Prestone and then you will know it won"t MESS anything up.How much did that 2012 GT cost again?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012
PONY Member

Ford Specialty Orange is Dexcool. You can get it anywhere since GM uses it exclusively now. Ford is moving all new engine designs to use it to better align with what is available and cheap globally. You shouldn't have an issue finding it anywhere that sells coolant.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012
PONY Member

As 2011GrabberGT says, Ford Orange is Dexcool. However, if you put GM Dexcool in your Mustang, you'll have to install a bowtie sticker on the passenger's side rear window. If you don't want the sticker, you can put SILVERADO chrome lettering on the bottom edge of both doors, but it takes up a lot of space and it doesn't really look all that good.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2014 GT500
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

do not mix with the green it will gum up the rad. Gm had a terrible time with people mixing it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012
Apprentice

Ford uses dexcool now? Urghh. That stuff is garbage. Are all the issues with it fixed? I know too many GM products in the late 90s through the late 2000s that had gummed engines in less than 3 years with nothing added to the coolant. GM dealerships had to use an ultrasonic pulsing machine to clean out that crap if the engine was still good. Dexcool was something to be avoided at all costs, many people draining, flushing and replacing with the green stuff as soon as they brought the car home.

[b]2013 GT Premium,Red Candy, 6AT: GT500AB, FRPP tune.

-Democrats are cockroaches
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012
PONY Member

GM was the issue, not the coolant. They used it in incorrect applications and used subpar gaskets along with a vented cooling system that let air come in. The coolant has not changed since it was introduced, and GM no longer has issues since they came around and started using proper gasket materials. This was a mid 90's to early 2000's GM issue. Nobody has issues with it nowadays.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012
Apprentice

No, it's a coolant issue, thanks to eco-nazis. Google "dexcool lawsuit". Dexcool has more lawsuits against it than Ford had with the Pinto. In fact, just type in "dexcool" and look at the auto complete listings by the search engine. They had an even bigger problem in the late 90s when dexcool was mixed with non-distilled water by accident at the factory. Those GM vehicles hit the junk pile early. That was the beginning of the "pulsing" cooling system cleaners as well. The GM gaskets had many isses, dexcool was just one of them. Do you expect anything less from GM? I just didn't expect Ford to screw us with dexcool.

Fast forward to 2006. They still had gumming problems with dexcool. I experienced it first hand with a 06 monte carlo. This was my wife's babied car even though she bought a GM against my better judgement. The coolant color was fine (only 50k miles) nothing ever added. The inside of EVERY surface had orange/brown "pudding" on it. It took 6 hours of cleaning and flush to get that crap out. Every GM I've looked at (90s through late 2000s) has the same problem. The gumming is probably related to the use of 2-ethylhexanoic acid. Other long life coolants, like Honda or Toyota, do not use this and have no issues.

So does anybody have good tips on flushing 2011+ 5.0 engines?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012
PONY Member

Ok, then why don't any of the new, GM's that still use it have a problem? Why haven't we heard of any issues with the new 5.0's, Fiestas, and the 6.7L diesel that also use it? If the coolant is so bad, why has the issue gone away over the years with no change to the formula? Did you also know that most all "green" antifreeze you buy at a store is actually a Dexcool knock off with the dreaded 2-EHA? No mass hysteria issues there either.

I'm well aware of the law suits and I worked on many of those suspect engines, and none of the later stuff has a problem. The engines in your Monte Carlo were still directly related of the engines that had issues, and there cooling systems are still similar. Not knowing anything about cars and using deductive reasoning you can determine the coolant was not the problem. Bimetal engines, vented systems, and crap gasket designs caused the overwhelming majority of the issues, and that is why only a few engines had the problem. I've never seen an Ecotec, High Feature V6, LS engine or any of the Fords in the last few years with the failures either.

They used the wrong elastomers and cheap nylon carriers in there gaskets, the aftermarket and new designs corrected this. I've never seen one come back, and the old style would leak again within 30-40K miles. There was a time when I literally did 3-5 of those engine repairs a day.

To summarize, find me a 6.7, Fiesta, or 5.0 with this issue and I'll stand corrected. I've never seen a new GM (last 5yrs, the High Value V6 is just an evolution of the early crap with poor sealing angles) with any serious issues either. GM can't spec a cooling system worth a damn, otherwise Ford would have the same problems too.

Apprentice

The issues haven't gone away, search GM forums. Besides the initial gasket eating, there is evidence of aluminum corrosion and gelling. (without mixing in any other coolants). The 3.5L wasn't labeled as a problem engine and wasn't listed in the dexcool lawsuit. Yeah and when GM filed chapter 11, guess what happened to the latest lawsuits? Gone. Pretty typical of GM, just like their intermediate steering shafts. Ignore the problem, don't improve the part, and somehow the government never calls them out.

Ford reps say that Special Orange isn't the same as dexcool, but is dexcool compatible as an OAT. I really hope Ford isn't using dexcool.

www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=MOTOR...

Orange/Dex-Cool Coolant - Page 2 - F150online Forums

PONY Member

I worked for Ford Engineering.... It's Dex cool. Bottled and shipped from the same place and a bottle of specialty Orange even states it's Dexcool. So does the owner's manual. Time will tell, but I have not heard of one issue since Ford has switched to it.

The 3.5L is just an updated 3100/3400, which was the worst one for this issue. The lawsuit was brought up years before the 3.5L was introduced.

PONY Member

when did ford switch the g-05 to dex cool?
Apprentice

LOL, I'm a mechanical engineer with some work in failure analysis, but mostly nano tech. I think it is 100% the same also. People don't seem to have issues if they change it early (less than 3 years). I'm going to keep my eye on it. Issues seem to happen after the first 5 years. All this for a global approved (europe) standard.

I'd feel better if the overflow bottle was in constant circulation. Maybe it is, I haven't had the hood open with the engine running yet to check it.

PONY Member

Luckily, it is on these like it is on most engines in the last few years. Those older motors had vented overflows instead of pressurized surge tanks like we have.

The G05 phase out started with the 5.0L, 6.7L, and the new Fiesta engines. As the older engines are phased out the new replacement designs will be spec'd around Dexcool. They're not compatible with each other at all, so legacy designs will continue to use G05 indefinitely.

PONY Member

I Don't want to make a new thread, so I am going to bring this one back to life...

I'm replacing my coolant tank today and while at it i'm just going to drain it all and replace with fresh coolant.
It's Sunday so obviously all Ford service dept's are closed.

Can i just go to autozone/walmart and purchase Prestone or Peak Dex-Cool red coolant and it will be the same thing as Specialty Orange ?

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in