Ford GT Racing performace tune a value? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 223 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphjup View Post
Keep in Mind that the "Powertrain" warranty is 5/60000. But, I still think it's great you can get covered for the 3/36000 for their tune...

What if the car has a 75000 mile warranty?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

not sure why you would let your car ping at all... I wouldnt touch their tune with a 10 foot pole. Not sure why so many people think pinging isnt a big deal

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The tune will only be warrantied by FRPP for the duration of their warranty as stated previously. Doesn't matter if you have extended warranty of not.

The FRPP Warranty does not reflect the 5/60000 "Powertrain" Warranty, Just the duration of the remainder of the 3/36000 bumper to bumper warranty.

2015 Mustang GT Performance Package... Stock for now..

post #34 of 223 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.Phaggot View Post
not sure why you would let your car ping at all... I wouldnt touch their tune with a 10 foot pole. Not sure why so many people think pinging isnt a big deal
Interesting observation.
post #35 of 223 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
Interesting observation.
I'm not thrilled with the idea of having my engine pinging. Unless I can get this issue clarified, I'm thinking of not doing the upgrade. Too bad cause it sounds like it would be fun.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
I'm not thrilled with the idea of having my engine pinging. Unless I can get this issue clarified, I'm thinking of not doing the upgrade. Too bad cause it sounds like it would be fun.
The correct technical terminology has been clarified before by someone other than myself, and it is not the type of pinging that will kill your motor. You are thinking of pre-ignition, and what is happening is called detonation.

If you get the tune installed properly and do the "profile learning" deal, or "crankshaft position sensor relearn", you most likely won't have any issues, unless you are using really crappy gas.

There are other issues such as bad cam chain tensioners, loose cam caps, and AC compressor "stretchy belt" config (which all have TSB's issued) that can exacerbate the pinging. I wouldn't let any of the ping threads stop you, and I've had it worse than anyone I've heard of to date.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
Apprentice

If its not based on too much timing then what causes it?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
Quote:
Originally Posted by scober View Post
purchased from buyfordracing.com for $280 + $50 for dealer install. Pinged the first few hits after the install, but none since then. Improved throttle response, huge low end boost, and i noticed a 1-2 mpg increase. The car will shred the rear tires at will now (6m)
i find this very hard to believe

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I'm sort of cheesed off right now - I called the two FR-friendly dealerships about the PUP for my 2013 coyote. For the axle-backs, oil and air filter, and procal tune time they both quoted me 2.5 hours. And then they turned around and said the parts were $70 more than what I can get it online for (They were going MSRP on it) and that the kit is backordered until who-knows-when. Also the guy had never done one before and seemed pretty squirrely on the whole matter. I asked them how much to just do the procal since I obviously can do the mufflers and filters myself. He said an hour. I can understand that I guess even though it takes ten minutes to do tops. It was the extra hour and a half to install two mufflers and two filters - 30 minute job tops.

So I'm not sure what to do now. I'm sort of tempted just to say sod it and get a better performance gain out of a CAI and more aggressive tune, but that presents warranty concerns should something go wrong. Looks like if I want to do that then I'm waiting for the b2b warranty to run out. Only 35,123 miles to go! :laughlitt

Silver - the fastest color.

2013 Mustang GT P 6M: Second Generation MT-82, Barton shifter and bracket, Catch can, MMD hood struts, Blendmount, Bama 93R. Next up - Headers and off-road X pipe, axle backs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Replica: $400? No. I'm good. Stock one is fine. It throttles and bodies just fine.
Rawbeef:
Sorry to pile on... But is your wife named Bubba?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
I'm sort of cheesed off right now - I called the two FR-friendly dealerships about the PUP for my 2013 coyote. For the axle-backs, oil and air filter, and procal tune time they both quoted me 2.5 hours. And then they turned around and said the parts were $70 more than what I can get it online for (They were going MSRP on it) and that the kit is backordered until who-knows-when. Also the guy had never done one before and seemed pretty squirrely on the whole matter. I asked them how much to just do the procal since I obviously can do the mufflers and filters myself. He said an hour. I can understand that I guess even though it takes ten minutes to do tops. It was the extra hour and a half to install two mufflers and two filters - 30 minute job tops.

So I'm not sure what to do now. I'm sort of tempted just to say sod it and get a better performance gain out of a CAI and more aggressive tune, but that presents warranty concerns should something go wrong. Looks like if I want to do that then I'm waiting for the b2b warranty to run out. Only 35,123 miles to go! :laughlitt
An hour actually seems fair to me. It takes considerably longer than 10 minutes to install...

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post
i find this very hard to believe
Not me, I experienced the same thing except I struggled a bit more with the pinging (to say the least).

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.Phaggot View Post
If its not based on too much timing then what causes it?
I'm not 100% sure myself. I'm sure pulling timing would help, but I think it may also have something to do with the cam timing since the crank sensor relearn has an effect on it. I sure would be interested to know exactly what the details are though!

post #43 of 223 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My dealer won't install the tune. Can't get in touch with Buyfordracing.com by phone either to ask them some questions. Phone rings, but no answer.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-15 HBAR View Post
An hour actually seems fair to me. It takes considerably longer than 10 minutes to install...
I was charged an hour. Also was told they had to do a relearn procedure after the original intall. No ping.

I was going to purchase from Buy Ford Racing as it was there for a good price. However I saw that it was going to be a 2 shippment process. Air filter first then complete a form with the requied info and the second shippment would contain the device. I have delivery problems so that may have been an issue( lousy neighbor ). One call to the Taca Mod shop and I was done.
Sorry for a bit of geting sidetracked with my details.

2019 Velocity Blue GT 6m Premium
401a
Black Out Package
B&O Stereo
Active Valve Exhaust
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Yeah I guess I should have been more clear -- I am not too upset about an hour's labor. I'd prefer the $50 price that others are paying obviously, but a full hour isn't a huge concern just for the procal. It was the added 1.5 hours for the axle-backs and the two filters that had me steamed because it's stereotypical dealer BS where they try to screw folks over. I guess that just means I shouldn't be so scared to wrench on this car myself. Putting on the axle-backs is really quite a trivial task. I don't know why I am so apprehensive about doing stuff myself. Probably because it's new -- I'm no stranger to working on cars!

Anyway as the car passes the 950 mile mark I'm starting to think more seriously about a Bama tune and an Airaid CAI. The performance gains just seem that much better vs. the Procal and plus I like the look of the aftermarket CAI in the engine compartment over the stock air box. Not to mention I've dealt with the folks over at AM a bit now with my last Mustang and I really like the way they do business and trust them. This is my first brand new Mustang so it's a bit of a blank slate where I can mod it exactly the way I want it, so I want to make sure I'm 100% happy with the money I do put into mods.

I read here that AM has a 3/36k warranty for BAMA tunes to protect against cylinder 8 issues and other problems caused by the tune. Does that still hold true for 2013 models? The info I saw was a little older so it just said for 11-12. That little piece of information may be enough to push me in that direction.

Silver - the fastest color.

2013 Mustang GT P 6M: Second Generation MT-82, Barton shifter and bracket, Catch can, MMD hood struts, Blendmount, Bama 93R. Next up - Headers and off-road X pipe, axle backs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Replica: $400? No. I'm good. Stock one is fine. It throttles and bodies just fine.
Rawbeef:
Sorry to pile on... But is your wife named Bubba?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page