Ford Mustang Forum banner

2nd to 5th shifting when racing.

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  5.0 Candy REDCS 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever done this with this tranny..
Hit the track a few times this weekend and noticed 1 run the car fell on its face.
IT was cool, no TC on then tested it out and noticed it was pretty easy to do....
Never did this with my 04 cobra..

Cars a 13 m6 bone stock

#2 ·
Haven't done that, but I have done a 6 to 3rd accidentally when I was first getting used to the close gates. Revved up the engine really fast. It was so abrupt that it actually chirped the tires (I'm assuming from the driveline actually slowing them down rather than speeding them up).

#6 ·
Haven't done that, but I have done a 6 to 3rd accidentally when I was first getting used to the close gates. Revved up the engine really fast. It was so abrupt that it actually chirped the tires (I'm assuming from the driveline actually slowing them down rather than speeding them up).
I did a 3rd redline to 2nd the third day I had my car :nono:.. I heard a quick chirp and realized what I did.. luckily nothing exploded

#5 ·
Stick on this car is all about finesse and not forcing it. I had to unlearn all the T5 + Hurst shifter gear banging I did for years at the track. This thing like 2 fingers or open palm not the full grab and shove.

#7 ·
Assuming the same tin shifter bracket with the zip-tied rubber bushing was carried over to the '13 model year cars, you may also benefit from an aftermarket shifter and bracket.

#9 ·
what I have found to work for me is to let the shifter find 3/4 by itself, for going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter forward and let the centering springs do their job. For going from 6 to 5 you have to counter the springs or as many of us have found you can hit 3rd, it does mess with the high speed exit ramp show off session. I also recommend practicing the 5 (or 4th) to 3rd down shift for passing, before I learned to let the shifter find either 3rd or 4th by itself and aimed for it myself I would get blocked. My buddy has done motor mounts and upgraded the shifter with improvements by both of these things. These transmissions are fussy, don't force it and do all the recommended upgrades. Your results may vary.......

#10 ·
+1... let it self center until you learn it... don't over rev that bad boy.

#11 ·
Also remember that going from 6th to 5th,5th is a little to the far right rather than just straight up above 6th, it took me a few attempts to get that pat down,now that I know where it really is,it;s a lot easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.