Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   DiabloSport Intune Initial Review. (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/354609-diablosport-intune-initial-review.html)

RacingRedGT 08-15-2012 12:14 AM

DiabloSport Intune Initial Review.

While I was on vacation in Florida I happened to be checking the forums from my phone. Came across a DiabloSport thread advertising their Intune unit was 2011+ Mustang compatible. So I sent a message about picking up a unit in person, I happened to be staying 10 miles away from their office. They gave me a great deal and I couldnt pass it up. I could tell from my research that they have a wide range of tuning experience and I was willing to give it a shot. The unit offers alot. It supports ALOT of vehicles and can change a crapload of stock parameters, CAI brand, etc. The list is different for each vehicle, and they have alot of tunes available for multiple vehicles.

When you get the unit, you need to plug it into your computer. It will autorun and it will do an update and get it registered.

The install into the vehicle was very easy. Press Write Tune, pick the tune, it will backup the original, then install the new tune. After you select the tune at the beginning it will take you to another screen where you can change features of the tune being writen. Tire size, timing, rear end gear ratio and a few others. I didnt mess with any of them, because there are a few advanced areas that if someone knew what they were doing they could tweak it themselves to get it perfect.

Tune. I installed the 91 octane tune, due to lack of 93 octane stations in KC. Initial response was wow. The throttle response was noticed immediately. My shifting has smoothed out greatly. You get gas when you want it. Tires break loose with no effort. Now it gets a little weird. I did a 5 mile test run after installed. Later that night the wife and I went for a 50 mile cruise, half was highway. Took the long way home, got to an open area and did a few 1st-3rd almost redline runs. On the second one towards the end of second gear I heard a very brief rattle after 6000rpm. Fortunately I was data logging. As we were getting closer to home I did one more 2nd gear pull, tires broke loose coasting at 20mph (was pretty awesome BTW), got to redline and didnt hear a thing.

The next morning (Sunday) I went back to stock to be safe. Not sure if it was pinging I heard or not. I posted feedback on their forums, and on a SUNDAY I got a response asking me for info from the handheld, data logs and the last tune written file. I didn't get all the info to them till Monday at 11am, by 1pm I had a new tune sent to me.

Installed the new tune. Went for a run. Did two 2nd gear pulls to redline and one full 1st gear burnout. Not a sound. The car feels pretty damn awesome. The throttle response alone is nice. I really need to get to a dyno to get some numbers.

Heres one downfall to the Intune yet. The data logging. Theres a whole bunch of PIDs to record. Since the unit is newer to the 2011+ Mustang the AFR/Lambda PID is not yet active on the device. And Im pretty sure the Knock PID isnt fully active on the handheld. They said they would be able to see it with the data logs. They record all that info on their other vehicles and they are working on getting for the late model mustangs.

If someone would like to view the logs let me know and Ill post them.

So far I am very pleased with the purchase and would do it again. There are a few places within a 3-4 drive that can tune with the diablosport software that I will probably try to get a custom tune from. I cant read data logs very well, so Im hoping nothing is amiss in the tune. Although after talking to the guys in person I feel pretty confident the tune is safe. While I was their they had a 2013 GT500 strapped onto their dyno. Pretty neat, wish I could of hung around to see some pulls but I had the wife and kids with me.

tblank18 08-15-2012 05:26 AM

Sounds great! im going to have to look into them. Right now its a toss up between them and SCT. I know that if I get a SCT with BAMA tune I cant go wrong though IMO

JQ3_GT 08-15-2012 08:50 AM

I had a Diablosport Predator for my '08 Charger SRT-8 and I had no problems with the tune. The thorttle response, just like your experience, was incredible! It was an automatic and at 55 mph I could stomp it and the rear tires would break traction! The car had CAI, flowmaster exhaust & I was running the 91 octane-CAI tune. With their tune I am still not convinced that my Stang was faster, but who knows I never raced anyone.

Nothing but good things to say about that tuning experience!

autobred 08-15-2012 10:54 AM

I agree, currently have the predator in a 2010 Ram R/T and its been rock solid. Transformed it to consistent 13.5s with their canned 93 tune on an otherwise stock truck. Typically I would just buy the tuner locally but all these tuner threads lately has gotten me a little gun shy with this '13 Stang. I ended up picking a CAI/inTune combo from Doug at C&L preloaded with some custom tunes and latest software. Thinking this is the safest bet at least hope so:D

RacingRedGT 08-15-2012 12:27 PM

The install is super smooth. No errors or issues.

autobred 08-15-2012 12:44 PM

I was wondering what the deal is with that, is it the handheld tuners themselves or is it the car. Some, just some.. people having to be in close proximity of their home or near a battery backup just to flip tunes. Im at the track adjusting parameters for tranny shifts, rev limits..etc all the fun stuff to see if it makes a difference. Changing tunes at the gas station and dont think twice about it. The way it should be, I would think. Hoping to do the same with the Stang. I should have mine by the middle of next week..just waiting on their 2013 specific CAI to get back in stock. Glad to see you start this thread and just jumping in with both feet with the inTune.:bigthumbsup

RacingRedGT 08-15-2012 12:56 PM

I guess I'm a guinea pig, but someone's gotta try it. Thinking about filling up with some 93 octane, throw in a little octane booster and load the 93 tune. Anyone recommend any specific brand of octane booster?

autobred 08-15-2012 01:08 PM

For us occasional users:) Torco Accelerator - It's not just an octane booster
I was told more than once to stay away from the shelf stuff you see at your local....

Dan_DiabloSport 08-15-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacingRedGT (Post 3169920)
I guess I'm a guinea pig, but someone's gotta try it. Thinking about filling up with some 93 octane, throw in a little octane booster and load the 93 tune. Anyone recommend any specific brand of octane booster?

Hey RacingRedGT Thanks for the awesome review of the product!

As for Octane Booster, I don't recommend adding any to it, you won't get enough of a bump in HP for it to be worth running the 93 tune with octane booster. You always want the most pure fuel you can get for the best results. In your case stick with the 91 unless you are some where that you can find pump 93! :winks

RacingRedGT 08-15-2012 03:23 PM

The only places with 93 are the BPs around here. And they are crap holes. QT runs the market and these other places cant afford to keep their stores up. Guess its 91 until I find a decent station with 93.

RacingRedGT 08-15-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_DiabloSport (Post 3170060)
Hey RacingRedGT Thanks for the awesome review of the product!

As for Octane Booster, I don't recommend adding any to it, you won't get enough of a bump in HP for it to be worth running the 93 tune with octane booster. You always want the most pure fuel you can get for the best results. In your case stick with the 91 unless you are some where that you can find pump 93! :winks

Also, any updates on when AFR and Knock are going to be PIDs for the Intune?

autobred 08-15-2012 03:55 PM

Dan, whats the rev limit range do you have set for the mustang? + - 600rpms for my truck, curious what you guys did for the mustangs, thanks

Dan_DiabloSport 08-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autobred (Post 3170108)
Dan, whats the rev limit range do you have set for the mustang? + - 600rpms for my truck, curious what you guys did for the mustangs, thanks

You can lower down to 3000 and raise as high as 8000. It is recommended that you leave the rev limit alone completely. We have it set to 7350 and 7500 in the tune based on a couple of different stages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacingRedGT (Post 3170068)
Also, any updates on when AFR and Knock are going to be PIDs for the Intune?

The knock and AFR pids are complicated because they are DMR's (Direct memory read) so they're extremely fast and rather hard to log with just a tool accurately. The plan is to get them into data viewer in the coming months.

RacingRedGT 08-15-2012 04:52 PM

Update to my 93 octane issue. Found a station that's 10-15 minutes away with 93 no ethanol. Gonna give it a shot.

Deathbud 08-15-2012 04:57 PM

i used my trinity on my 2006 f150 for 2 years worked flawless but scared on my new 2013 mustang it cost a lil more. it has a performance tune that says 93 octane and a 91 octane tune would it be batter to use 91 octane tune but use 93octane gas so i have no knock?