Anyone gone from just a midpipe to longtubes? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Anyone gone from just a midpipe to longtubes?

Reading of gains only being 5ish whp, true? Not assumptions, looking for people who have made the swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
Banned

I'm so lost. Midpipe is just a midpipe. Longtubes are longtubes.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
PONY Member

What he's getting at is people are seeing gains of ~25 rwhp on offroad midpipes and ~35 rwhp on longtubes WITH an offroad midpipes.

There are definitely gains, but the cost difference is extreme. I doubt you will find many people that spent the cash on an offroad x or h and then decided to spend another $1000 to replace it for 5-10 more hp. You don't need someone who switched to find the data you want, there are plenty of sheets with independent gains from midpipes and longtubes separately to figure out the difference.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
What he's getting at is people are seeing gains of ~25 rwhp on offroad midpipes and ~35 rwhp on longtubes WITH an offroad midpipes.

There are definitely gains, but the cost difference is extreme. I doubt you will find many people that spent the cash on an offroad x or h and then decided to spend another $1000 to replace it for 5-10 more hp. You don't need someone who switched to find the data you want, there are plenty of sheets with independent gains from midpipes and longtubes separately to figure out the difference.
Just curious, where did you come across sheets that have independent gains from long tubes and O/R H or X pipes? I've been trying to figure out if longtubes are worth the money

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
Banned

Longtubes I think are a great upgrade if you don't have to worry about stupid emissions. Yes, they're on the steep side but people also buy full catback exhausts (including myself) and the gains there are relatively minimal. You're paying for both power and sound. Longtubes also help with seeing even more potential in other upgrades as well since you're completely altering one of lowest level variables in the whole breathing system vs a catback exhaust.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal302 View Post
Just curious, where did you come across sheets that have independent gains from long tubes and O/R H or X pipes? I've been trying to figure out if longtubes are worth the money

The biggest change you will see with longtubes is not just the power but the torque curve alterations. they're going to move your torque curve in ways that will allow you to tune the entire RPM band more effectively based on how you want to drive your car.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
The biggest change you will see with longtubes is not just the power but the torque curve alterations. they're going to move your torque curve in ways that will allow you to tune the entire RPM band more effectively based on how you want to drive your car.
A good point. I would definitely be getting long tubes if I was going FI and paying top dollar to have the car dyno tuned by a big shop. For a mail-order tuned NA car, I think that an offroad mid pipe is the way to go for sure though. Just my 2c on it.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012
PONY Member

I went from off road x to long tubes and off road x. I do not have a before an after of just that swap. dyno charts have shown 5-10 hp peak gains with big torque gains down low na...

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page