Vents Rattle Noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Vents Rattle Noise

Hey all,

I can hear a sound from the dashboard, kind of hard to spot as it happens on accelerating in 3rd, 4th, 5th gear around 3000 RPM when flooring the throttle. I am bad at describing sounds but sounds like a slight rattle from the A/C vents or from the gauges amd sounds like if you were blowing on the border of a paper sheet.
Does not sound loud but hard enough to bother me.
As anyone else had a similar sound?

I will appreciate your help!

Regards,

Pierre

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual, Shelby CS70 20" BF Goodridge KSW2, Catback + Mofflers Borla S-TYPE, 3:55's, AirRaid CAI,91 Bama Performance Tune, RK Sports Air Ram Air Hood, CS/BOSS 302 Chin Spoiler, GT500 Back diffuser, Saleen Grill, GT500 Spoiler, BBK oil Catcher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
PONY Member

Not sure about the vents, but I had the infamous glove box rattle. Try opening the glove box and see if it stops. If it is in fact the vents or gauge pod try pressing hard on different things when it happens to try to narrow it down. I fixed the glove box rattle with stick on foam circles where the rubber bumpers contact the dash,just mad it close tighter. Anything can start rattling on these cars if you travel down alot of bumpy roads or even the resonance from loud exhaust can cause them.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

pinging???????????????

not asking 15 times, just needed 15 char.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I would be very surprised if it was pinging, the noise really comes from the cabin, really sounds like coming from the A/C vents or gauges... I will try to reproduce the sound while Datalogging and try to see if the A/F is ok...

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual, Shelby CS70 20" BF Goodridge KSW2, Catback + Mofflers Borla S-TYPE, 3:55's, AirRaid CAI,91 Bama Performance Tune, RK Sports Air Ram Air Hood, CS/BOSS 302 Chin Spoiler, GT500 Back diffuser, Saleen Grill, GT500 Spoiler, BBK oil Catcher
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggle View Post
Hey all,

I can hear a sound from the dashboard, kind of hard to spot as it happens on accelerating in 3rd, 4th, 5th gear around 3000 RPM when flooring the throttle. I am bad at describing sounds but sounds like a slight rattle from the A/C vents or from the gauges amd sounds like if you were blowing on the border of a paper sheet.

Regards,

Pierre
I have the exact same problem with my 2012 GT. The noise comes from the driver side vent but seems to go away as the day wears on. The only solution I have found is to turn the heater on high for a little while - not a lot of fun in summer in San Diego.
I had a similar problem with my last GT and squirted a little silicon in the offending area - DON'T DO THAT! All I managed to do was stread a silicon mist over the interior of my windows and it was a b....ch to get off.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Hey all,

Regards,

Pierre
My rattle in my new 2012 GT seems to be coming from the center a/c vent on the driver side, and it does annoy me. My issue is that it only happens in the morning. Then, when I get to work, after the car has been sitting for some hours, it' s perfectly quiet with no rattle. Irritating because I've debated with myself several times, and set up service appointments only to cancel them because I'm concerned that the dealer won't hear the rattle, or that they may make matters worse. Now, I have an appointment scheduled for Monday at 9:30 AM, hoping they'll hear the rattle. Seems like the a/c vent to me but it could be like referred pain - hard to detect the source. My car has 1850 miles on it, and the rattle's been there since the test drive. But since I got such a deal on 2012 because the 2013s were already out, I went for the car, rattle and all. Hoping to get it resolved Monday. And yes, when the rattle is there, it's amplified with increased speed.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
I have the exact same problem with my 2012 GT. The noise comes from the driver side vent but seems to go away as the day wears on. The only solution I have found is to turn the heater on high for a little while - not a lot of fun in summer in San Diego.
I had a similar problem with my last GT and squirted a little silicon in the offending area - DON'T DO THAT! All I managed to do was stread a silicon mist over the interior of my windows and it was a b....ch to get off.
Yop, my experience exactly. Early morning rattle. Afternoon delight. I concerned about the winter coming. I don't want to ride with the rattle all day. it does seem to be a cold rattle in the vent. i'll get the vent replaced Monday, and let you know what happens.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012
Apprentice

same exact issue for me too on 12 gtcs. my first thought was oh crap pinging...so i data logged it and reproduced the sound and there was no ping. def sounds like its in the cabin somewhere, just cant figure out where yet. only happens around 3000rpm and hard excelleration.

really sucks, but i will find it eventually.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012
GT Member

My rattle is on the passenger side area. I just turn up the radio or roll the windows down to hear the exhaust. It's faint but I can hear it with the windows down and radio off.

I accept it. It's a mustang not a luxury car.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I remember someone posting glove box rattle maybe that, try reaching over and putting a finger in that or the vent to see if it stops.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJAG View Post
same exact issue for me too on 12 gtcs. my first thought was oh crap pinging...so i data logged it and reproduced the sound and there was no ping. def sounds like its in the cabin somewhere, just cant figure out where yet. only happens around 3000rpm and hard excelleration.

really sucks, but i will find it eventually.
I was about to DataLog but it really does not sound like pinging. Was thinking of using my GF to look into the noise but hell she left me Will have to find this noise by Myself! Keep me updated if you find anything!

Apprentice

First, Toggle I'm sorry about your GF. That could rattle you too I suppose.

I still have mixed feelings about going to the dealer to attempt a repair. And, I still have a noticeable rattle every morning, but not in the afternoon. I tried to mentally downplay it, but it's annoying. I'm pretty sure, though, that it's the a/c vent in my case, and not the glove box.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

someone else had also mentioned rear view mirror.....

FordService

Quote:
Hey all,
Hi Taggle,

I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible to have this concern diagnosed. Then if you need further assistance, you should contact Ford of France at +33 (0) 970 808 775.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenashus1 View Post
My rattle in my new 2012 GT seems to be coming from the center a/c vent on the driver side, and it does annoy me. My issue is that it only happens in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJAG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
My rattle is on the passenger side area. I just turn up the radio or roll the windows down to hear the exhaust. It's faint but I can hear it with the windows down and radio off.
Id like to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area, guys. Please make an appointment with your dealers for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and a briefing of the concern youre having so I can help.

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page