More HP without a tune - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned

A lot in here that has been mentioned is both power suggestions and refinement suggestions. For instance, weight savings, drive shafts, wheels, and suspension are all about finesse and swave rather than bruteness. The way I see it: Power is cheap, refinement will make you broke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

OP, Susspension and shoes are a great start, as there is no point to increasing power if you can't put it to the ground. Then once you decide you are committed to increasing power, rather than bleeding to death from a thousand cuts, might I suggest that you just bite the bullet and go with forced induction. I realize that this will require a tune, but once you start adding up the costs of all of the other upgrades that you can do to the car, forced induction won't seem that far out of reach.

15K miles later and it still makes me a smiling fool when I punch it! :kooky:

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
PONY Member

And, the Coyote engine was designed for a supercharger. Well, except for the rods.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
And, the Coyote engine was designed for a supercharger. Well, except for the rods.

I would be interested to see the rate of failure of coyote's boosted at 10psi or less vs. the rate of failure of N/A coyotes. I doubt there would be a whole lot of difference there.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
I would be interested to see the rate of failure of coyote's boosted at 10psi or less vs. the rate of failure of N/A coyotes. I doubt there would be a whole lot of difference there.
Which is exactly why Shelby/Roush/Ford Racing offer supercharged versions with warranties...

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Which is exactly why Shelby/Roush/Ford Racing offer supercharged versions with warranties...
As well as Edelbrock and Vortech ... and i am sure others as well.

Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
I had a great comparison picture of the 4.6 vs 5.0 connecting rod but can't find it anymore. They are actually surprisingly beefy and I have not heard nearly as many rod failures as I have piston failures.

Quote:
I think the hardware was built to last for moderate power levels, so long as the fuel and tune are up to snuff. There are always the '$hit happens' events but those can happen anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Quote:
As well as Edelbrock and Vortech ... and i am sure others as well.
But those warranties quickly become useless when the owners become tired of the factory 'warranty-safe' tunes that come in those kits.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
But those warranties quickly become useless when the owners become tired of the factory 'warranty-safe' tunes that come in those kits.
Duh! If you're going to invest all that money, why leave power on the table, besides, who needs a stinking warranty. If you can afford a supercharger, what's the big deal about replacing/rebuilding an engine. What's crazy to me, is investing a couple hundred bucks for 20hp and potentially losing the engine warranty anyway. Go big or go home. :kooky:

Still, with a reputable tune the failure rate of boosted motors under 10 psi does not seem any more common than the N/A ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page