for my next mod, Big cams + top grade headers or a procharger stage2? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

for my next mod, Big cams + top grade headers or a procharger stage2?

Question guys, should I go cheap and short with big cams and american racing headers, or should I go long and deep with a pro charger stage 2. This is going to be street driven car with occasional drag racing at the track. My concerns about the pro charger are, I will have to upgrade my clutch motor mounts etc.. with the cam and headers no other mods needed. what do you think?

cams:
Comp Cams Stage 3 XFI NSR Camshafts (11-12 GT) 191160 - Free Shipping!

Headers:

American Racing Headers

Pro Charger Stage 2:
Procharger Stage II Intercooled 675HP Kit - 2011-2013 Mustang GT [1FR202-SCI-EVO-675] - $5,999.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
Apprentice

Garage
For the cost to do either one, I think you will get more bang for your buck with the procharger. N/A builds aren't that cheap, esp compared to some of the boost options.

2011 GT Prem - 400a, Brembo Pkg, 3.55s, 6spd
OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
Banned

I'd skip the cams and get a beefier clutch instead.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
PONY Member

The cams are kinda a shot in the dark as I have never seen any dyno info on them. It's hard to say how much power you will end up with. The supercharger has well documented gains and big bang for your buck.

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
PONY Member

There is an article in this months 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords.

Overall gain of 107hp and 75tq at 7000rpm

BUT that also includes JLT CAI, 90mm Ford Racing Throttlebody, Boss Intake, and Dynatech Longtubes and Off Road X. and a custom Lund Tune...

the cams plus extra pieces cost about $1700 not including the other bolt ons.

According to the magazine, just the cams gained 59hp and 81tq over the other bolt ons.... so now your informed.

Also, there is another thread HERE that was started about a week ago....

2012 Mustang GT Premium, MT-82, Kona Blue Metallic, Factory 3.73's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page