Excessive breather fumes/smoke? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Excessive breather fumes/smoke?

I was getting a lot of oil in my blower, intercooler, intake, etc so I switched to a breather setup with no pcv. I just started the car for the first time with the breathers today and there was quite a bit of fumes coming from the breathers. I expected some since these motors seem to have a fair amount of blowby but this was more than I expected. I took a quick video - does this look like more than there should be?
Breather fumes - YouTube

2014 GT A6 - Stage 2 D1 Procharger, E85, JPC return style fuel system, ID1000s, BMR UCA/LCA/Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Streets, AMR 19s w/ 305 nittos
2011 GT M6 651rwhp/518rwtq - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

That seems like a lot of blow by to me,but I have nothing to compare it to as my engine still has the stock set up.I would take it to Ford and see what they say about it.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
If he takes it in like that the only thing the dealer will tell him is to reinstall the PCV system. Other than for emissions reasons, those filters are going to do nothing but let those oil vapors collect on the coil, rocker and intake covers and most likely the underside of the hood. It's going to create a dirty mess.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
If he takes it in like that the only thing the dealer will tell him is to reinstall the PCV system. Other than for emissions reasons, those filters are going to do nothing but let those oil vapors collect on the coil, rocker and intake covers and most likely the underside of the hood. It's going to create a dirty mess.
Yes, it's going to make a mess. Small price to pay to protect the blower, intercooler efficiency, and octane rating imo. I'm simply wondering if this is more blow by than what others have seen - I haven't been able to find anything to compare to.

2014 GT A6 - Stage 2 D1 Procharger, E85, JPC return style fuel system, ID1000s, BMR UCA/LCA/Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Streets, AMR 19s w/ 305 nittos
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
I don't think it looks that bad at idle. You're going to have a lot more as your cylinder pressures go up though. Have you tried the catch can route?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah I had a catch can and a lot of oil was still making it through. I may try a catch can with both sides running into a can with an open breather instead of pcv just to clean up some of the mess.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012

Just curious if that video is from an engine that is already up to operating temp or not? Have you stuck your hand in it to allow it to condense on your fingers so you can make sure it's not possibly just water?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just curious if that video is from an engine that is already up to operating temp or not? Have you stuck your hand in it to allow it to condense on your fingers so you can make sure it's not possibly just water?
There certainly shouldn't be water coming from there..

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaty08 View Post
There certainly shouldn't be water coming from there..
Water not coolant. The crank case contains air which contains good ole fashion H2O. It now has even more air with the additional blow by and open breathers. Small amounts of condensation can occur in the crank case especially after the car sits. Ever send oil in for analysis? They tell you to make sure the engine comes up to temp to make sure you burn this water off to make sure it does not impact the analysis.
GT Member

Quote:
Water not coolant. The crank case contains air which contains good ole fashion H2O. It now has even more air with the additional blow by and open breathers. Small amounts of condensation can occur in the crank case especially after the car sits. Ever send oil in for analysis? They tell you to make sure the engine comes up to temp to make sure you burn this water off to make sure it does not impact the analysis.
Air does not equal H20 my friend.. water is H20.

Sure, a minute amount of condensation could come out of the air... but not in the amount of fumes that are shown in the video here especially......

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Sure, a minute amount of condensation could come out of the air... but not in the amount of fumes that are shown in the video here especially......
Depending on how it's been driven, it is possible, but the OP's experience with catch cans would point the other direction here....

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The video was a cold start but I ran it up to temp and there was no change. The car doesn't burn as much oil as some horror stories I've heard but I go through a quart every 1000 miles or so. Some of which can probably be attributed to driving style. It's not a daily driver so when it's being driven it's usually at the track or being run fairly hard. It's going to AED on Friday for a new tune - I'm sure they'll let me know if they suspect any injuries.

PONY Member

Have you pulled the spark plugs and taken a look at them?

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
Have you pulled the spark plugs and taken a look at them?
I haven't. That's a good call I'll check them out tomorrow.

Quote:

Quote:
The crank case contains air which contains good ole fashion H2O.
I'm not real sure which part if my last statement you missed but air is full of water vapor which is generally referred to as humidity...again good ole fashion H2O!

OP: I removed the PCV system and fancy JLT catch can and have been running breathers on a boosted application for two seasons now. My breathers will saturate with oil and has a very distinct smell which you can smell from the cab of the car after putting a load on the engine. It is very different than the minute amount of vapor you are seeing. There are several things that can have an impact on this. Temperature the engine is running at will dictate how fast water that has condensed in the oil pan burns off, humidity (H2O) levels, how long the car sat between starts, ambient temperature, blow by or may be even a little ring flutter since you no longer have a source of vacuum on the back side of the piston keeping the rings seated.

But lets think about what you have in the video. Its at idle. There isn't that much going on in the crankcase (compared to under load at higher rpms). Not to mention you are not building boost in the video. Its just pistons moving up and down and a crank spinning displacing air for the most part. Before getting to worried, run your hands through it. Taste it even. I know it is unsettling to see something like this coming from your 5.0 that you have obviously invested a lot into but I think you'll find it is pretty common.

There are plenty of videos out like yours and most owners respond in a similar manner as you can see by the title of this one.

smoke from everywhere - YouTube

If you still feel the need to dig deeper, do a compression and leak down test. You can also install lines to a catch can with a pop off valve which in turn is connected to a vacuum source. This way you can still take advantage of the benifits of vacuum in the crank case and blow off any excess pressure that builds under load.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in