Clutch is slipping - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Clutch is slipping

I drove it as late as 7pm of last night and everything was fine. Today was a different story unfortunately.

I think my clutch is slipping based on the fact that 1st and 2nd gear it seemed like the engine was working hard and the mph was barely/slowly rising. In another words the tachometer was rising faster than the speedometer. I did the clutch slipping test, the one where I was cruising at maybe 25 and droped it into a high gear and pushed the gas to the floor to see if the rpms were rising or not. Weirdly enough, it wasnt...

Another thing i noticed is that when i shift into 2nd gear, it felt literally like butter, no more little notchy feeling like the other gears.

Earliest i could take this to the dealer is probably Monday being that the weekend is here. I think i read somewhere that Ford should cover this 1 yr or 18,000 miles under the warranty. Well I ordered this almost exactly one yr ago and it arrived in Nov., and only have 3600 or so miles.

Any expertise or suggestions as to the cause of this problem is greatly appreciated.

2012 GT Premium/Race Red/6MT/3.73 gears/Borla S-type

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

"I did the clutch slipping test, the one where I was cruising at maybe 25 and droped it into a high gear and pushed the gas to the floor to see if the rpms were rising or not. Weirdly enough, it wasnt..."

EDIT: I meant to say weirdly enough, it wasnt rising faster than the speedometer

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012
Grimace427

You only felt it in 1st and 2nd gear? How long did this go on for? Nothing happened in higher gears at all or maybe a little?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

It was fine last night when i drove it to my uncles house.

And i think it also happened in higher gears but more noticeably in the lower ones.

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsofNY View Post
I drove it as late as 7pm of last night and everything was fine. Today was a different story unfortunately.
I think my clutch is slipping based on the fact that 1st and 2nd gear it seemed like the engine was working hard and the mph was barely/slowly rising. In another words the tachometer was rising faster than the speedometer. I did the clutch slipping test, the one where I was cruising at maybe 25 and droped it into a high gear and pushed the gas to the floor to see if the rpms were rising or not. Weirdly enough, it wasnt...
Another thing i noticed is that when i shift into 2nd gear, it felt literally like butter, no more little notchy feeling like the other gears.
Earliest i could take this to the dealer is probably Monday being that the weekend is here. I think i read somewhere that Ford should cover this 1 yr or 18,000 miles under the warranty. Well I ordered this almost exactly one yr ago and it arrived in Nov., and only have 3600 or so miles.
Hey StreetsofNY,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

uhh wtf.. so i gave a call to the dealer that looked over it and said all was good.

The thing is they said there is a $111.xx fee. Wtf shouldnt it be free under warranty?

They trying to pull a fast one?

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Called Ford Customer Service and they also confirmed that the diagnostic fee is not covered under warranty..

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
Grimace427

That is certainly not right, especially since the diagnosis yielded no information. It's not like they had to do any dis-assembly or testing. You should ask what you are getting for your money.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well they supposedly had a few men drive around with all coming to the same conclusion, clutch felt fine. Then they said they put it on the lift and checked the clutch out and nothing was out of the ordinary (ie: no excessive wear/ disks clean). They also did some multipoint inspection.

Just pissed that Ford warranty doesnt cover the diagnosis fee. Guess everytime u take it in, there will be a $120 fee.

Ordered-9/27/11
Build-10/28/11
ETA-11/20/11
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsofNY View Post
Well they supposedly had a few men drive around with all coming to the same conclusion, clutch felt fine. Then they said they put it on the lift and checked the clutch out and nothing was out of the ordinary (ie: no excessive wear/ disks clean). They also did some multipoint inspection.

Just pissed that Ford warranty doesnt cover the diagnosis fee. Guess everytime u take it in, there will be a $120 fee.
The clutch is impossible to see without dropping the trans so I would ask exactly what they did.
Apprentice

clutch use to be warrantied only for 12months/12k miles. Not sure if thats changed recently.
PONY Member

that is bad that they charged you for the inspection.. i'd be really pissed off. did you purchase the car there? it should not matter anyway. did the problem go away? if it does not march up there and ask for the $120 back.

My clutch just died after 13,000 miles.. Its not a bad clutch, just the bolts backing out but its clunking and slipping bad. So it should be pretty obvious. is your car bucking and almost stalling due to the grab / slip condition? try starting in second gear..

also, it felt at first like i accelerated away from the stop light and i hit a bump where the wheels lost traction. then i realized there was no bump in the road. Spec stage 3, aluminum flywheel + pressure plate getting installed in December.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Its still 12/12 on the clutch disc, unless you have premium care...

For the record, I had my F150 in this week for some work and I mentioned this to issue to my service adviser and he did confirm that yes they charge a "nominal fee" for diagnosis, but if the component is found to be failed and they have to fix it the fee is waived as they are reimbursed by Ford. He did say that reimbursement doesn't cover the mechanics diagnostic time, but that his dealership doesn't feel it is right to pass that along to the customer if a real warranty problem exists.

I guess I see both sides of this. The mechanic needs to be paid for his time. If they don't find an issue, the mechanic gets nothing unless we pay for it, I guess.

By the same token, $120 seems a little steep to be told nope, all is fine.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorydn1 View Post
I guess I see both sides of this. The mechanic needs to be paid for his time. If they don't find an issue, the mechanic gets nothing unless we pay for it, I guess.

By the same token, $120 seems a little steep to be told nope, all is fine.

This is true for certain situations where the customer's concern can be questionable, such as electrical tests when there are aftermarket speakers or suspension noises with aftermarket bushings. For normal everyday concerns I would not have charged a diag fee. We still get something from warranty if there are no faults found, but it isn't much.

The biggest problem I have with what happened here is that there is no way to inspect the clutch without removing the transmission. If after road testing the vehicle and not finding any problems and the customer wants us to look at the clutch I can understand coming to a diag fee agreement, though I doubt anyone would agree to that. What would be more responsible of the shop would be to keep the car for a few days and have someone drive it randomly throughout that time to verify either way what is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page