LinkBack Thread Tools
Banned

Hey, Aaron, clear your message box out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Just to clarify your post in simpler terms, a 'custom' tune is not required. Just turning off the rear O2 sensors is all that is necessary.
I have NEVER put long tubes on any of my cars and not custom tuned each vehicle. Each car is different and I would NEVER trust a canned tune without checking AFR on the dyno and if you need help you can call my tuner and pick his brain.

Bruce Tucker = Tuned hundreds of Ford's via SCT.

888-522-5570
http://www.jbaracing.com/

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 GT 4 ME View Post
I have NEVER put long tubes on any of my cars and not custom tuned each vehicle. Each car is different and I would NEVER trust a canned tune without checking AFR on the dyno and if you need help you can call my tuner and pick his brain.

888-522-5570

While I agree that a tune is a no brainer, the front O2's being wideband still keep things in check. We're not saying your wrong and you are certainly entitled to your opinion about email tunes but there are also many many happy clients of email tunes, even with long tube headers and have spot on ratios.

post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:

888-522-5570
I was referred by JBA to him, he emailed me some info but havent had time to act on it. Will reconnect the front sensors to the factory harness and see what happens

2013 GT, AT, JBA ceramic LT with catted H pipe, resonator delete, GT500 axlebacks. Steeda CAI, Brenspeed tuned, AMR chrome wheels, Cooper
RS3-S tires, Focal door and rear coaxial speakers, Shelby-Kicker door subs

2013 V6 performace pkg, airaid CAI,BBK throttle body, Bama tuned, MTX thunderform, Pioneer Coaxials, alpine KTP-445U amp
The love of my sons life
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
What fault codes do you have? If they are 0420 and 0430 they are catalytic converter efficiency codes which mean the rear O2 sensors need to be turned off. This would have nothing to do with the JBA brand or design for the headers, just a fact for all headers.

Also if you are using extenders for the front O2 sensors, stop immediately. Any loss of connection with the extenders can and will destroy the engine. The wiring harness for the front O2 sensors can be extended by releasing a tie-down at the top center of the bellhousing, eliminating the need for the aftermarket extenders.
Originally it was throwing codes p0152 and p0420. Now it is throwing p0059

2013 GT, AT, JBA ceramic LT with catted H pipe, resonator delete, GT500 axlebacks. Steeda CAI, Brenspeed tuned, AMR chrome wheels, Cooper

2013 V6 performace pkg, airaid CAI,BBK throttle body, Bama tuned, MTX thunderform, Pioneer Coaxials, alpine KTP-445U amp
The love of my sons life
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by strany View Post
Originally it was throwing codes p0152 and p0420. Now it is throwing p0059

P0152 and P0059 refer to the front O2 sensor wiring and circuitry. Removing the extension harnesses would be a very good idea.

P0420 is catalyst efficiency referring to the lack of cats and is not a wiring issue.
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
P0152 and P0059 refer to the front O2 sensor wiring and circuitry. Removing the extension harnesses would be a very good idea.

P0420 is catalyst efficiency referring to the lack of cats and is not a wiring issue.
Thank you, will happen this week, will let you know

The love of my sons life
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
While I agree that a tune is a no brainer, the front O2's being wideband still keep things in check. We're not saying your wrong and you are certainly entitled to your opinion about email tunes but there are also many many happy clients of email tunes, even with long tube headers and have spot on ratios.
I said I would not trust a canned tune without checking the AFR on the dyno. = For my peace of mind. I did not say I would not run a canned tune and I think they are great for most consumers.
Grimace427

Quote:
I said I would not trust a canned tune without checking the AFR on the dyno. = For my peace of mind. I did not say I would not run a canned tune and I think they are great for most consumers.

You don't need a dyno to check A/F ratios. In fact, if you were referring to the tailpipe sniffer they put in cars that would show a skewed number depending on whether the car has cats or not. If you have an SCT and a laptop you can check your own actual and commanded a/f ratio driving around on the street(safely of course!).

Beyond that, A/F ratios are only part of the picture as there is also ignition timing, camshaft timing, part throttle driveability, too many to list.

Personally, I am actually more wary of custom dyno tunes. I am lucky to have several of the top Mustang builders and tuners right here in my area but not so many people can say that. If you took your 5.0 Coyote engine to be tuned by someone who has no experience with this engine you have a much higher chance of destruction and mayhem than running an e-mail tune. So many shops say they have years of Mustang tuning experience and still go out and blow up a Coyote engine because they had never worked on one before.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Stock tune, canned tune, email tune, or custom tune all have one thing in common, commanded AF ratios that should be safe, care to enlighten me as to how the LTs are going to disrupt the tailpipe AF ratios on a car that came with 2 wideband O2's before the cats??

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Banned

Quote:

Personally, I am actually more wary of custom dyno tunes. I am lucky to have several of the top Mustang builders and tuners right here in my area but not so many people can say that. If you took your 5.0 Coyote engine to be tuned by someone who has no experience with this engine you have a much higher chance of destruction and mayhem than running an e-mail tune. So many shops say they have years of Mustang tuning experience and still go out and blow up a Coyote engine because they had never worked on one before.

There's a shop around me that won't even touch one. But they're more GM focused anyway.
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Stock tune, canned tune, email tune, or custom tune all have one thing in common, commanded AF ratios that should be safe, care to enlighten me as to how the LTs are going to disrupt the tailpipe AF ratios on a car that came with 2 wideband O2's before the cats??

I asked Brenspeed what changes to the tune they make for the Boss intake and they said little to none. I will ask again what they change for the longtubes and how that is any different from stock headers with cat-delete pipes. I doubt it will be much different. A/F ratios are more heavily influenced at the front of the engine on the intake(MAF) side anyway.
PONY Member

Put it up on ramps/stands an remove the extensions for the front O2 sensors immediately. I would NOT drive the car anymore in that condition.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I asked Brenspeed what changes to the tune they make for the Boss intake and they said little to none. I will ask again what they change for the longtubes and how that is any different from stock headers with cat-delete pipes. I doubt it will be much different. A/F ratios are more heavily influenced at the front of the engine on the intake(MAF) side anyway.
That's my understanding as well, as long as the MAF is calibrated for the proper diameter of intake system A/F ratios should not be of concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshiznitzj View Post
Put it up on ramps/stands an remove the extensions for the front O2 sensors immediately. I would NOT drive the car anymore in that condition.
Front O2 extensions have been removed. However, the code is still popping up once tge vehicle completes the emissions readiness cycle. Any possible issues from swapping the position of the front O2 sensors, I know the LT directions stated to mark which location they were in.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
That's my understanding as well, as long as the MAF is calibrated for the proper diameter of intake system A/F ratios should not be of concern...

Front O2 extensions have been removed. However, the code is still popping up once tge vehicle completes the emissions readiness cycle. Any possible issues from swapping the position of the front O2 sensors, I know the LT directions stated to mark which location they were in.

I just got off the phone with Brenspeed a few minutes ago and asked what is changed tune-wise when using longtube headers. Basically the ECU needs to be corrected for the change in the FRONT O2 sensor locations(having been moved back a few inches) so there is something tangible. A/F ratio/timing all those things stay the same, but there are calibration changes so I would get that checked by BAMA ASAP.

Also Aaron make sure all of the pins are undamaged in the O2 connectors, just for grins at least.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page