JBA longtubes and 11+ Mustangs-Beware - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

JBA longtubes and 11+ Mustangs-Beware

I am an unfortunate soul who by trying to save a few $ bought LT headers that continually throw codes that no tuner Ive spoke with has a solution for. JBA has relocated the front O2 sensors rearward so far that my ECM tosses a ck engine light continually even after resetting it with my SCT tuner. JBA tech support has no answers as they appear uninformed about 11+ mustang tuning. Why would a manufacturer put out an aftermarket product without doing due the diligence of testing and modification so it functions properly with the car its designed to be bolted to?

Any ideas or solutions to my dilemna would be appreciated

2013 GT, AT, JBA ceramic LT with catted H pipe, resonator delete, GT500 axlebacks. Steeda CAI, Brenspeed tuned, AMR chrome wheels, Cooper
RS3-S tires, Focal door and rear coaxial speakers, Shelby-Kicker door subs

2013 V6 performace pkg, airaid CAI,BBK throttle body, Bama tuned, MTX thunderform, Pioneer Coaxials, alpine KTP-445U amp
The love of my sons life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Your rear O2 sensors need to be turned off. It is a commonly known fact that long tube headers paired with high flow cats can cause issues keeping all four O2 sensors on and require extensive tuning to achieve that stability or the just simply need to be turned off. If you have an off road mid pipe, all bets are off. Your rear O2 sensors need to be turned off and stay turned off. They are technically also for racing use only. "49 states legal" is a laughable on all levels.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
I am about too have Pypes long tube headers installed-- and a o/r shorty x pipe-- should the sensors be turned off? Or. doe it matter?

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank

Apprentice

I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but on my Kooks setup, we had to put spacers on the O2's to back them out of the pipe a bit so they didnt throw codes.

2013 Premium GT/CS 6MT, ProCharger P1 Stage 2, ID1000 injectors, Autometer and 2 Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, SOS A-pillar, Whiteline positive shift kit, 3.73 gears, Kooks headers and catted X-pipe, Lethal engine mounts, Barton 2 post bracket, GT500 shift knob and boot, GT-500 axle backs, Eibach Pro's, Steeda panhard, AMR 19x8.5/9.5 wheels w/GT's, shorty ant, HERTZ- HDP5 amp and Hi Energy 6.5's/Audison Bit 10-D EQ/Audiomobile 12" with custom enclosure
606/505 SAE
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Your rear O2 sensors need to be turned off. It is a commonly known fact that long tube headers paired with high flow cats can cause issues keeping all four O2 sensors on and require extensive tuning to achieve that stability or the just simply need to be turned off. If you have an off road mid pipe, all bets are off. Your rear O2 sensors need to be turned off and stay turned off. They are technically also for racing use only. "49 states legal" is a laughable on all levels.
Im aware of the rear O2 sensor issue. Ive been told by Brenspeed and other that the problem is the location of the front sensors

2013 GT, AT, JBA ceramic LT with catted H pipe, resonator delete, GT500 axlebacks. Steeda CAI, Brenspeed tuned, AMR chrome wheels, Cooper
RS3-S tires, Focal door and rear coaxial speakers, Shelby-Kicker door subs

2013 V6 performace pkg, airaid CAI,BBK throttle body, Bama tuned, MTX thunderform, Pioneer Coaxials, alpine KTP-445U amp
The love of my sons life
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strany View Post
Im aware of the rear O2 sensor issue. Ive been told by Brenspeed and other that the problem is the location of the front sensors

Well it's really not a rear O2 "issue." It's just the nature of the setup. They're higher flowing cats and OBDII standards are pretty high strung. What's your code?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post
I am about too have Pypes long tube headers installed-- and a o/r shorty x pipe-- should the sensors be turned off? Or. doe it matter?

The rear O2's don't have to be turned off but you'll throw an under efficiency code. It won't hurt anything, you'll just have your car yelling at you a lot. The front O2's are wide band and send data back to the computer so it can make any needed on the fly adjustments.
Grimace427

What fault codes do you have? If they are 0420 and 0430 they are catalytic converter efficiency codes which mean the rear O2 sensors need to be turned off. This would have nothing to do with the JBA brand or design for the headers, just a fact for all headers.

Also if you are using extenders for the front O2 sensors, stop immediately. Any loss of connection with the extenders can and will destroy the engine. The wiring harness for the front O2 sensors can be extended by releasing a tie-down at the top center of the bellhousing, eliminating the need for the aftermarket extenders.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Peter, I think I still have extensions on my car, any chance you know the thread with the walk through on this. I asked Rick @ Dynatech about it, and he said they "had" to include them for "precautionary" measures

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

PONY Member

I have Jba also, no problems. You don't need extensions for primary o2 sensors. Secondary o2 sensors are not needed and can be removed turned off and bungs plugged.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Also if you are using extenders for the front O2 sensors, stop immediately. Any loss of connection with the extenders can and will destroy the engine. The wiring harness for the front O2 sensors can be extended by releasing a tie-down at the top center of the bellhousing, eliminating the need for the aftermarket extenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshiznitzj View Post
I have Jba also, no problems. You don't need extensions for primary o2 sensors. Secondary o2 sensors are not needed and can be removed turned off and bungs plugged.
This is good to know, I was unaware of this. I also have the JBA long tubes that I will be installing this weekend.

2011 GT Prem - 400a, Brembo Pkg, 3.55s, 6spd
OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Peter, I think I still have extensions on my car, any chance you know the thread with the walk through on this. I asked Rick @ Dynatech about it, and he said they "had" to include them for "precautionary" measures
That's interesting. Did he ever mention what he meant by "precautionary?"
Grimace427

I've been searching for some pics but came up empty. Right on the top of the bellhousing where it meets the engine is where the O2 sensor wiring harness is secured with a plastic push-in clip. Pry loose the clip and the factory harness will extend far enough to clip in to the longtubes straight up.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I've been searching for some pics but came up empty. Right on the top of the bellhousing where it meets the engine is where the O2 sensor wiring harness is secured with a plastic push-in clip. Pry loose the clip and the factory harness will extend far enough to clip in to the longtubes straight up.
I can snap a pic when I get home in the morning. With the engine out I will be able to get a real good picture.

2011 GT Prem - 400a, Brembo Pkg, 3.55s, 6spd
OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have JBA LT's and Catted X. Had them installed about 4 months ago. Have had Zero problems.

2014 GT500 DIB, SVT PKG, leather Recaros, Factory Nav, UPR shorty antenna, Redline hood struts

---Sold---2011 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, Automatic, comfort package, electronics package, security package, backup cam, HID's , 19" Black GT500 Wheels, Steeda CAI ,Borla over axle pipes and S-type A/B, black UPR shorty antenna, JBA Longtubes JBA Catted X-Pipe,, Dyno tuned by Brenspeed...

An Armed Society is a Polite Society..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page