Not the typical MT82 problem possibly the shifter?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Not the typical MT82 problem possibly the shifter??

Has anyone else heard a tap tap tap tap sound coming from what seems to be the shifter.Mine makes a sound like a lifter tap that seems to be coming from the shifter. It only does this in 2nd and 4th sometimes 3rd at around 3k rpm when accelerating at a mild pace. I can only hear it with the windows up and radio off. I know lifter tap is a vague discription but thats what it sounds like. It is a stock shifter with a Boss knob..it did this before the knob swap.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012
Apprentice

Try to hold the shifter while this is going on and see if it goes away. Also see if you can feel the tapping in the shifter knob.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine does that once in a while, but I think it only happens with my hand on the shifter.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012
Apprentice

Mine does it too. Teflon tape the shaft seems to help a lot!

Daniel

Ennis, TX

-------- 2012 Kona Blue GT Premium, Roush Stage 1, Barton shifter and bracket, Cue ball, brembo wheels, gt500 mufflers, resonator delete, Shelby sway bars with Steeda mounts, Eibach pro kit springs,
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
Try to hold the shifter while this is going on and see if it goes away. Also see if you can feel the tapping in the shifter knob.
Yeah you can feel it through the shifter..holding it tightly makes it stop. It is loudest when not touching the shifter. It does not seem like its the knob though. Sounds like its coming up from the shifter or transmitted from the transmission. All I know is it doesnt sound good and at 3k to maybe 3300 it sounds like something is broke..I tried teflon tape but you cant put much on there..the Boss knob is a pretty tight fit.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
Yeah you can feel it through the shifter..holding it tightly makes it stop. It is loudest when not touching the shifter. It does not seem like its the knob though. Sounds like its coming up from the shifter or transmitted from the transmission. All I know is it doesnt sound good and at 3k to maybe 3300 it sounds like something is broke..I tried teflon tape but you cant put much on there..the Boss knob is a pretty tight fit.

Ok I would first rule out anything you have done like the steeda shift bracket and adding the knob make sure there is not any room under the knob just like the stock one you took off if your not sure then put your stock one back on and see if it goes away.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
Ok I would first rule out anything you have done like the steeda shift bracket and adding the knob make sure there is not any room under the knob just like the stock one you took off if your not sure then put your stock one back on and see if it goes away.
Good troubleshooting advice, but I tried the stock knob, and it is louder with the stock "thumb" knob. I guess I will try the bracket today..I don't want to remove it, it has eliminated my missed 3rd. But maybe I can just locate the TAP and then put the bracket back on.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well I got rid of the Tap Tap sound. I first teflon taped the crap out of my shifter threads. This did not eliminate the noise, just changed the tone from a tap to a click..ughhhh. So I went for the bracket, took it off and put stock one on. No more annoying sounds..Yay.. but now I'm back to the stock crap bracket. I am going to have to figure out a way to filter out the sound so I can re-install the Steeda bracket. I don't think the sound was caused by the Steeda bracket..more likely it is a transmission sound or vibration that is rattling the shifter and the firmness of the Steeda bushing is letting me hear it.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012
Apprentice

Was the bracket put on the correct way? Does the steeda bracket have slots where the screws go in? If so it may have been out of alignment? Sounds as something was out of alignment. You have to be very careful adding aftermarket parts watch for the simplest things like di it align correctly or did it raise or lower something cause if so that would be a sample of something ford would deny the warranty if it hurt your transmission or whatever the aftermarket part goes to. There are alot of people who use that same part with no problems so check carefully. The stock shifter is pretty bad I know mine came out right away
Apprentice

I have the Barton bracket and have the same issues. After Teflon on the threads and insulating the shifter area with foam it's not bad at all. I do hear the Tap at WOT. I checked with Barton and they said their new bracket would help a lot. I haven't done it yet.

Daniel

Ennis, TX

-------- 2012 Kona Blue GT Premium, Roush Stage 1, Barton shifter and bracket, Cue ball, brembo wheels, gt500 mufflers, resonator delete, Shelby sway bars with Steeda mounts, Eibach pro kit springs,
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel View Post
I have the Barton bracket and have the same issues. After Teflon on the threads and insulating the shifter area with foam it's not bad at all. I do hear the Tap at WOT. I checked with Barton and they said their new bracket would help a lot. I haven't done it yet.
I had the new Barton 2 post for awhile. It was probably the best at shift feel. I took it off and replaced it with the Steeda due to the increased NVH of the Barton. It was a beautiful piece of CNC machining that worked well. But I have come to find out that I am OCD about NVH. Loud exhaust ok.. hearing the gears turn in my trans. Not ok.

Apprentice

My shifter makes the tap noise but I also hear a noise that almost sounds like a constant flow of water, like being below a bathroom and someone turning on the shower. I have found that if I grab the shifter at the base and kind of pull up it stops all noise so I am confident it is something in the aftermarket shifter. I bought the tri-axe and have heard many people say it is normal.. but I dunno- I havent replaced the bushing yet so that could be the reason.

2013 Mustang GT SGM - Track Pack and Recaro Seats
Order Date: 7/17/12
VIN Date: 8/13/12
Sticker: 8/22/12
Build Date: 9/10/12
1st ETA: 9/22/12, 2nd ETA: 9/28/12 ARRIVED: 9/27/2012!!!
Mods to come: Boss Intake Manifold, Steeda CAI +Tune, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, Borla S-Type Axle Back exhaust.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteFive0 View Post
My shifter makes the tap noise but I also hear a noise that almost sounds like a constant flow of water, like being below a bathroom and someone turning on the shower. I have found that if I grab the shifter at the base and kind of pull up it stops all noise so I am confident it is something in the aftermarket shifter. I bought the tri-axe and have heard many people say it is normal.. but I dunno- I havent replaced the bushing yet so that could be the reason.
I have a Steeda Shifter bracket and bushings for sale in the classifieds. If you want to try one. Its in the drivetrain section. I work in Athens,Al. You could come pick it up and save shipping cost. I might be able to give you a deal if I didn't have to deal with shipping it.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
I have a Steeda Shifter bracket and bushings for sale in the classifieds. If you want to try one. Its in the drivetrain section. I work in Athens,Al. You could come pick it up and save shipping cost. I might be able to give you a deal if I didn't have to deal with shipping it.
I have the mgw and it is by far the absolute best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page