Happy Vortech Owners? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Happy Vortech Owners?

I am consdering installing a Vortech supercharger on my 2011 GT 5.0. I would like to here from the happy and not so happy Vortech owners. My performance shop has quoted me $6,200 installed and dyno tuned. He said I should get around 200 additional h.p. at the rear wheels on 8 lbs. of boost. Your pro's and con's comments are appreciated.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
Apprentice

I was going to go this same route but the pros and cons well cons is simply sound they sound like something is wrong marbles or bad bearings but is ok and only around idle or real low rpm now the pros POWER and the right way vortech is the best for any real track events I have talked to a few installers that said if you track then it is the way togo that others will boil the coolant while this one cools the air pretty good before entering the engine. Good luck a 2011 5.0 stock I would say 6.0psi would be the safe way to go.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
I was going to go this same route but the pros and cons well cons is simply sound they sound like something is wrong marbles or bad bearings but is ok and only around idle or real low rpm now the pros POWER and the right way vortech is the best for any real track events I have talked to a few installers that said if you track then it is the way togo that others will boil the coolant while this one cools the air pretty good before entering the engine. Good luck a 2011 5.0 stock I would say 6.0psi would be the safe way to go.
Dude, how about using some periods......

2012 California Special Convertible / Ebony Black / 5.0 liter / MT-82 / GT500 Axle Backs with resonator delete / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & base bushing / Airaid CAI / BMR LCAs / BMR Relocation Brackets / BMR Adjustable UCA & Bracket / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar / Steeda Sport Springs / GT500 Strut Mounts / Koni STR.Ts / Shaker 500 with Infinity 6832CFs / Redline hood strut / Redline leather shifter & E-brake boots

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
Rookie

Love my Paxton setup. Stock clutch only lasted 2 months though. So expect to spend more for supporting mods.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I love mine. Installed it my self and have the vortech canned tune, still plenty of room to improve.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012
PONY Member

There is plenty of power to be had with the Vortech kit. I am also still running the manufacturers tune.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaholland View Post
There is plenty of power to be had with the Vortech kit. I am also still running the manufacturers tune.
I had a rough bout with mine. The canned Vortech tune wasn't a perfect match for my car. Based on my experience, Vortech was not overly anxious to support my issues which was frustrating. Some of the symptoms you might see... Some surging, some chirping, and it will have a different feel than it does now. It will pull timing in a manner where it might feel a bit more sluggish before you hit boost. Fuel is important... Just started using Torco accellorator which really improved the low end drivability. Wish I tried it sooner. Also, the plastic coolant overflow is cheaply made. There is a seam and the fitting and seam leaked on mine. I purchased an aftermarket tig welded tank...$200 out of pocket and leaks are gone.

Also please make sure your installer gets the entire kit with no exceptions. My installer spoke with them and asked if he could order the kit without their plugs because he could get oem GT500 47lb injectors locally cheaper. They said no problem over the phone during the time he placed the order... When we had our tune problems they leaned on that to hit the support ejection seat. To me, that was disheartening. At that point I was pissed at Vortech and my installer because he did that without telling me. Either way they were still new injectors and was a lame excuse.

All that being said, lots of people have had great experiences and it is a decent kit. Next spring I will work with Jon Lund and get the car pro tuned. The Vortech tune is conservative and safe. I have not yet pulled any codes(fingers crossed). I have stock 3:31 gears and we hit the speed limiter in 5th before getting a decent dyno pull. I had over 1200k to go. My best was 511 on a dyno pack and it was 90 degrees and humid. We will do a pull tomorrow and we expect the 565-570 range to the rear wheels. This would be close to the 605 Vortech claims at the crank. At this point we will have to pull in 4th gear and convert.

Lastly Paxton and Vortech are the same company... I noticed someone mention Paxton The Paxton might be a little bigger but the black vortech kits looks great. PM me if you have any questions.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfiveo View Post
I had a rough bout with mine. The canned Vortech tune wasn't a perfect match for my car. Based on my experience, Vortech was not overly anxious to support my issues which was frustrating. Some of the symptoms you might see... Some surging, some chirping, and it will have a different feel than it does now. It will pull timing in a manner where it might feel a bit more sluggish before you hit boost. Fuel is important... Just started using Torco accellorator which really improved the low end drivability. Wish I tried it sooner. Also, the plastic coolant overflow is cheaply made. There is a seam and the fitting and seam leaked on mine. I purchased an aftermarket tig welded tank...$200 out of pocket and leaks are gone.

Also please make sure your installer gets the entire kit with no exceptions. My installer spoke with them and asked if he could order the kit without their plugs because he could get oem GT500 47lb injectors locally cheaper. They said no problem over the phone during the time he placed the order... When we had our tune problems they leaned on that to hit the support ejection seat. To me, that was disheartening. At that point I was pissed at Vortech and my installer because he did that without telling me. Either way they were still new injectors and was a lame excuse.

All that being said, lots of people have had great experiences and it is a decent kit. Next spring I will work with Jon Lund and get the car pro tuned. The Vortech tune is conservative and safe. I have not yet pulled any codes(fingers crossed). I have stock 3:31 gears and we hit the speed limiter in 5th before getting a decent dyno pull. I had over 1200k to go. My best was 511 on a dyno pack and it was 90 degrees and humid. We will do a pull tomorrow and we expect the 565-570 range to the rear wheels. This would be close to the 605 Vortech claims at the crank. At this point we will have to pull in 4th gear and convert.

Lastly Paxton and Vortech are the same company... I noticed someone mention Paxton The Paxton might be a little bigger but the black vortech kits looks great. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for your detailed response. My installer has already installed two Vortech kits successfully on GT 5.0 Mustangs so I don't anticipate any major issues. He has already tuned my car with his Dynojet using my SCT tuner. So far he has been right on in everything he has said or done. I will PM you when I get closer to pulling the trigger. Thanks again.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012
PONY Member

Nevermind. Don't want to sling mud..

I actually was hoping my SC whine would be louder. At idle with the hood closed, you can hardly hear it over my Borlas.

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaizer View Post

I actually was hoping my SC whine would be louder. At idle with the hood closed, you can hardly hear it over my Borlas.
Doesn't Vortec have a gear set that reduces the noise? And I think Procharger whines like a 16 year old trust fund baby who didn't get a new car for her b'day. From what I've heard on youtube, nothing more.
Apprentice

I've got the Paxton setup, which is basically the same except for the head unit. I'm very happy with my setup. I don't think you can go wrong with any supercharger on these cars. I think you will be happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaizer View Post

Ya, mine is nothing like the Vortech S-1 I had in my '97. Unless you know what to listen for, you wouldn't know it was there.

2012 Black Base Model 6MT, 3.73s, Steeda Shifter, CJ intake, CJ monoblade TB, Rev auto CAI, JBA LTs, o/r h pipe, Stage 3 comp cams, AED tune, Steeda Sport springs
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370 View Post
I've got the Paxton setup, which is basically the same except for the head unit. I'm very happy with my setup. I don't think you can go wrong with any supercharger on these cars. I think you will be happy with it.

Ya, mine is nothing like the Vortech S-1 I had in my '97. Unless you know what to listen for, you wouldn't know it was there.
Also agree with this... I've wanted a S/C since I was a kid. I was hoping to get that evil whistle also. It's not a DD so the noise would be welcomed. Evidently quiet is in fashion.

Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Doesn't Vortec have a gear set that reduces the noise? And I think Procharger whines like a 16 year old trust fund baby who didn't get a new car for her b'day. From what I've heard on youtube, nothing more.
They must have done something because you have to know what to listen for to know its on mine.

Haha yeah the videos are mostly what turned me off with the Procharger. Hopefully it sounds better in person.

Haha trust fund babies...

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
PONY Member

In the event your interested...I posted a vid of the coolant reservoir I purchased from JPC Racing out of MD. I had some leaking issues with the one that cam with the Vortech kit. Its kind of pricey but worth it in my opinion...looks nice too.

2011 Mustang GT - YouTube

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfiveo View Post
In the event your interested...I posted a vid of the coolant reservoir I purchased from JPC Racing out of MD. I had some leaking issues with the one that cam with the Vortech kit. Its kind of pricey but worth it in my opinion...looks nice too.

I concur. Very nice. I have contemplated getting a new one just to replace the cheap look even though I don't really need to upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page