2012 OEM hood scoop issue - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
Thanks..at the dealer now. I hope they can fix it. I realize things are subject to temp changes, but this thing looks pretty bad.
Oh, man. Make sure you PM me if you need me, C Green.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Old Thread revival.. Well my hood scoop is coming up again in the rear corners. Has anyone else had any luck getting a dealer to "FIX" this. They just re stuck mine with 3m tape months ago and now its popped up again. I'm going back next week,to let them try again..ughhhh. They stated that they use 3m tape that they get from Roush for the scoops,and they dont know how else to stick it.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
PONY Member

Just a guess, but the original molding of your scoop could have had a flaw that only shows up in the colder temps. When it was cooled after molding, it could have developed some inner-tension that causes it to twist up under colder temps. Doesn't show up when warm since it relaxes more and goes back into shape. Find out what material is used for those things and how it reacts under temperature variances. If it was a manufacturing defect affecting lots of these, try to get an exchange. Short of screwing it down, the tape doesn't have enough strength to resist the twisting motion upward it tends toward in colder temps when it contracts from cold. Try to exchange it and explain that you don't want your hood scoop acting like your scrotum on a cold day.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaman View Post
Just a guess, but the original molding of your scoop could have had a flaw that only shows up in the colder temps. When it was cooled after molding, it could have developed some inner-tension that causes it to twist up under colder temps. Doesn't show up when warm since it relaxes more and goes back into shape. Find out what material is used for those things and how it reacts under temperature variances. If it was a manufacturing defect affecting lots of these, try to get an exchange. Short of screwing it down, the tape doesn't have enough strength to resist the twisting motion upward it tends toward in colder temps when it contracts from cold. Try to exchange it and explain that you don't want your hood scoop acting like your scrotum on a cold day.
lol.. good advice, I bet they will try everything before replacing the scoop. I have dealer a installed matte black OTT stripe, so a new scoop would require striping as well. Bet they will avoid this as much as possible. I don't want to get ill with them, they have been very nice...but nice doesnt make a scoop stick.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Rookie

Hood Scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
Thanks..at the dealer now. I hope they can fix it. I realize things are subject to temp changes, but this thing looks pretty bad.
What ended up happening with your scoop. Ford replaced mine 3 or 4 times. I just gave up but wish i didn't because it looks real bad now.
PONY Member

My 2014 GT does not have a scoop - my 2009 C/S does have a scoop - albeit smaller than the ones on this thread - it is a factory scoop that is Bolted to the hood - not double sided tape.

Unfortunately I think the only way you guys are going to fix this problem is to actually somehow bolt the hood to the scoop - the thermal expansion stresses are too much for the adhesive to hold down. New double sided tape is only a temporary measure.

Best of luck.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
PONY Member

Wow, old thread. If the scoops continue to do this, what might work is a very fine 3mm screw with a pan-head that will sink down into the plastic. Just a fine screw at the end or highest stress point. Some other sort of anchor other than double-backed tape is needed. Something that won't look bad, obviously and will just hold it down and not be intrusive.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It is pulling the corners up as it contracts when cold. The solution might be to re-install it when it is cold. The 3M tape needs to be replaced. That way, when it expands in the hot weather, the dome shape will absorb the expansion.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page