2012 OEM hood scoop issue - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2012 OEM hood scoop issue

I can't find anything about this issue, just one 2 yr old post that contained no answers. My oem hood scoop lifts up on the rear corners when its cold outside (50 or colder). When it warms up it sits flat. Has anyone else had this problem or more importantly.. found a solution to this issue. I know I can just go to the dealer, but the old post contained several reports of the dealer having no solution and just pulling it off and re-installing it, only for the problem to re-occur days later. This is not a "Do you like hood scoops" poll. If you hate scoops, there is no need to inform me of how stupid they are. I too would probably not order a scoop from the factory, but this was a lot car and I think it looks pretty cool..when it's not messed up that is. these pics when it was about 40 degrees outside.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood2.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	581.1 KB
ID:	166418   Click image for larger version

Name:	hood.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	981.6 KB
ID:	166419   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	17883
Size:	796.6 KB
ID:	166420  

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
GT Member

I read of this issue before with the factory scoop.

I installed an "OEM style" scoop a couple years back, i.e. one that looks like the factory scoop but is aftermarket. When I first installed it, the corners did the same thing, but I didn't notice that it was temperature sensitive.

To fix, I took a pipe wrench and clamped the corner(s) down to the hood and let it sit overnight. Obviously, I put microfiber towels between the scoop/hood and the wrench's contact points. I repeated this for a couple different nights. The wrench was actually placed on the top of the scoop, right at the rear corner.

It fixed the problem. However, at that point, the hood was freshly installed, so the "grab" of the double-sided tape might have been significantly stronger than your's now. It also could be that I ever-so-slightly bent the scoop to more properly line up with the hood. I'm not sure.

Don't know if that helps you . . .

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
its held on by some double sided tape, as well as like 2 screws in the middle. I would assume the tape loses its stickyness like your tires when it gets cold outside.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So..ya'll think I should let the dealer have a go at it ? I get extremely paranoid about leaving my car with dealers. Too many times they have kept cars for days and in the end fixed nothing, which has gotten me to the point where I would rather fix it myself..even though it's under warranty.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
PONY Member

That looks awful. If it were me, I'd get it fixed. Mine has been in single digit temps and does not do that at all. My guess is the scoop is at fault, not the tape. It is distorting as it contracts from the cold temps.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
PONY Member

If this was installed by dealership or ordered on the car its covered under warranty. However, contact Deysha and tell her your concern. Ford Company might have a solution that the dealer doesn't know about.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks. I will give her a shout. The problem is it's 70 degrees today and sitting flat as can be. I would have to go to the dealer on a cold day I guess.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

Mine does the same thing. Really only notice it from inside the car. Just dont look at it.

2011 Race Red 5.0 -6MT 3:73's--Roush RS3 clone. Aluminatored!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed50 View Post
Mine does the same thing. Really only notice it from inside the car. Just dont look at it.
After looking at your pics, mine is nowhere near that bad. Some new tape may be in order. Take it to the dealership.

2011 Race Red 5.0 -6MT 3:73's--Roush RS3 clone. Aluminatored!
Rookie

i replied to a similar thread about a month ago, saying i had the same issue when I purchased my '11 GT. It took the dealer 3 tries, the last one from supposedly from a rep from Ford(not the dealership) to repair it properly. I stated in my reply that the corners of the scoop have laid flat ever since, almost 2yrs. Well..I just noticed 2 of the corners pulling up again. I guess its back to the dealer. Since the car will be in the shop, maybe I should have them install 3.73's in the rear end..

2011 5.0 Convertible / MT82 / / Premium Pkg / Black with Brick Red and Cashmere / 3.73's / 401A / Security / Brembo / GT500 axle back with cat delete / MGW Shifter / Steeda CAI with Steeda 93 octane tune / Steeda Sport Springs, Upper Strut Mount, Adj. Panhard Bar, Billet LCA / Steeda UCA / Nitto Invo's.

Last edited by kenv; 01-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I called the dealer, gonna carry it on Monday. I hope it doesn't take several tries for them to get it fixed. I would just have them take it off, but I think I read somewhere there are bolts holding it on besides the tape.

PONY Member

things contract when cold and expand when warm...so the scoop is contracting in the cold and then expands when its warm, but the tape its help on by stops it from really popping up in the corners...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by kenv; 01-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Seadog

The big problem is that the metal hood and the FRP hood scoop will contract at different rates. The better hood scoop designs will be held by more bolts and rely less on the tape.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
I can't find anything about this issue, just one 2 yr old post that contained no answers. My oem hood scoop lifts up on the rear corners when its cold outside (50 or colder). When it warms up it sits flat.
Hello C Green,

Iíll be more than happy to escalate this for you. You can PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name and best daytime number so I can forward the info to the customer service manager for your area.

Also remember, plastic shrinks and expands in different temperatures, so this could be the issue as well. Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LitreRiceEater View Post
If this was installed by dealership or ordered on the car its covered under warranty. However, contact Deysha and tell her your concern. Ford Company might have a solution that the dealer doesn't know about.
Thanks for the mention, 5LitreRiceEater.

Deysha
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Hello C Green,

Iíll be more than happy to escalate this for you. You can PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name and best daytime number so I can forward the info to the customer service manager for your area.

Also remember, plastic shrinks and expands in different temperatures, so this could be the issue as well. Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Thanks for the mention, 5LitreRiceEater.

Deysha
Thanks..at the dealer now. I hope they can fix it. I realize things are subject to temp changes, but this thing looks pretty bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page