Tires? 255/40/19 to 245/45/19 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tires? 255/40/19 to 245/45/19

Hey guys I know its probably been asked before but how much of a difference is a 255/40/19 (stock size) compared to a 245/45/19? most of the 255/40/19 I've found have been really expensive and most of them are summer tires. I drive my mustang all year and I would rather have a all season tire. I've found 245/45/19's in an all season tire for cheaper and have a better mileage warranty. I was just wondering how much of a difference there is between the two sizes??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandnewStang View Post
Hey guys I know its probably been asked before but how much of a difference is a 255/40/19 (stock size) compared to a 245/45/19? most of the 255/40/19 I've found have been really expensive and most of them are summer tires. I drive my mustang all year and I would rather have a all season tire. I've found 245/45/19's in an all season tire for cheaper and have a better mileage warranty. I was just wondering how much of a difference there is between the two sizes??

245/45's are .6" taller and 10mm thinner. Hardly anything to be concerned about.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

virtually none...car will ride a bit softer since the sidewall is thicker

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
Grimace427

Just in case the 'mileage warranty' does not mean you get free tire replacements if they wear out too soon. Some people on here have been confused over tire warranty wording and terminology.

A decent all-season tire is the Continental Extreme DWS.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

People have told me that it will throw off my speedometer. Is this true? It seems like it would be changing sizes. Just wondering if it does throw it off how much I would think Any more than 5 mph?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
Apprentice

Yes, by a fraction of the difference in the tire height. Usually 2-3 MPH at 70. You can confirm it with a GPS and most tuners can adjust for tire size ratio.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandnewStang View Post
Will be fine. All the factory 19's minus the Brembo cars come with 245/45/19's.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I usually look at the differences by plugging the old/new tire sizes in here. For your odometer/speedometer to be accurate, you'll want a similar tire height or you should plan to pick up a hand-held or software app. that can adjust your tune for tire height.

Tire size calculator

2013 Track Pack GT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
PONY Member

That is the stock size for the 19" package on the Mustang as well as with the GT/CS.

As for throwing anything out, don't worry about it. You will be just over 1 MPH off at 60.

As for tires...there are tones of choices.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page