2013 Mustang GT No Power Steering - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 Mustang GT No Power Steering

I searched but couldn't find anyone else with this issue. This morning woke up started the car, pulled out of my parking spot and let the wheel return to the straight, only this morning it didn't, it continued to want to go in a circle.

Turning the wheel I realized I have none or very very little power steering. When you turn the wheel it wants to continue you going in the direction you turned it, not returning to center. The wheel is also much stiffer to turn, even in "comfort" mode.

Has anyone had this happen? It was perfectly fine last night. I even restarted my car many times thinking that maybe a system just didn't initialize.

The car goes in Monday, just wondered if anyone has experienced this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
GT Member

Yup, when I blew my 100 amp fuse while checking spark plugs. I had no power steering and my advance track was not working.

These cars have electronic steering and do not have the old rack and pinion steering. You will not be able to turn the wheels no matter how far you turn your steering wheel.

If you do not find the problem, you will have to have it towed in.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Yup, when I blew my 100 amp fuse while checking spark plugs. I had no power steering and my advance track was not working.

Enlighten us, how did that happen?!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
These cars have electronic steering and do not have the old rack and pinion steering. You will not be able to turn the wheels no matter how far you turn your steering wheel.
They still have rack and pinion steering. It's just no longer hydraulic assist.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Enlighten us, how did that happen?!
Checking plug #4. It's a tight fit to get a wrench down there since the battery is right next to it. I pulled the wrench up and the wrench went under the red cover for the positive terminal. Sparks flew for a split second.

There is a fuse box connected to the postive cable. One side of the fuse box has a 200amp, the other side is a 100amp.

What did I learn here? Remove the negative cable on the battery no matter what I do under the engine. lol
It cost $20.00 to replace the fuse box.

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
They still have rack and pinion steering. It's just no longer hydraulic assist.

Oh ok. When my power steering took a dump, I could not get the wheels to turn one bit. Unlike older vehicles, if their power steering was out, you could steel steer the vehicle.

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

See this troubles me as they are going to have to tear my car apart because I can turn the wheels, it's just very difficult and the biggest symptom it won't return from a quarter turn of the wheel to straight while moving, the car just wants to keep going in circles.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Oh ok. When my power steering took a dump, I could not get the wheels to turn one bit. Unlike older vehicles, if their power steering was out, you could steel steer the vehicle.
Don't have a clue. Only that it's still rack and pinion steering, just electronic and not hydraulic.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects..._DSC8409-M.jpg
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldude View Post
See this troubles me as they are going to have to tear my car apart because I can turn the wheels, it's just very difficult and the biggest symptom it won't return from a quarter turn of the wheel to straight while moving, the car just wants to keep going in circles.
It is "electronic assist", so you should still be able to steer when it is not working. Check your fuses first. The owners manual may have a description of what fuses are in which location.
BOSS Member

Garage
dldude, did you check the fuse that fake told you to look at?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
dldude, did you check the fuse that fake told you to look at?
Yea I checked all the fuses all seemed well. It's at Ford right now, been there since 7am yesterday and they can't figure it out.

Yesterday when I talked to them, my service rep told me "there is definitely something not right there, he's checked just about everything he can check".

Today I called back and he totally changed his tune and said "no everything is in spec everything is fine". So I asked, well why yesterday did you tell me you definitely saw the problem? "ohh well this is electric power steering and it's different and the problem we saw yesterday fixed itself". So I asked him if the issue with it wanting to go in circles fixed itself, "oh umm no we didn't test drive it"

Starting to lose hope in Ford all together again. From reading reviews on the internet this is the best Ford dealership for service as well around here.

Basically I'm getting they see the problem but have no clue what is wrong....
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Intermittant problems can be a pain. Good luck

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Intermittant problems can be a pain. Good luck

if it's worth sayin once......

Especially for technicians. Nothing is worse than spending all day working on one car only to have the problem disappear and not be able to get paid for all the work done. For me with Mercedes this happens at least once a week and drives me nucking futts.
FordService

Quote:
I searched but couldn't find anyone else with this issue. This morning woke up started the car, pulled out of my parking spot and let the wheel return to the straight, only this morning it didn't, it continued to want to go in a circle.
Turning the wheel I realized I have none or very very little power steering. When you turn the wheel it wants to continue you going in the direction you turned it, not returning to center. The wheel is also much stiffer to turn, even in "comfort" mode.
Quote:
Yea I checked all the fuses all seemed well. It's at Ford right now, been there since 7am yesterday and they can't figure it out.
Yesterday when I talked to them, my service rep told me "there is definitely something not right there, he's checked just about everything he can check".
Today I called back and he totally changed his tune and said "no everything is in spec everything is fine". So I asked, well why yesterday did you tell me you definitely saw the problem? "ohh well this is electric power steering and it's different and the problem we saw yesterday fixed itself". So I asked him if the issue with it wanting to go in circles fixed itself, "oh umm no we didn't test drive it"
Starting to lose hope in Ford all together again. From reading reviews on the internet this is the best Ford dealership for service as well around here.
Let me get this escalated for you, bldude. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and the concern your vehicle is having so I can forward it to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

So i get the car back from the dealership.

And I find this:
View image: 2012 11 13 17 16 29 602
http://postimage.org/image/suxegf0yv/
http://s17.postimage.org/q8ykhwqcf/2..._17_21_114.jpg

Anybody have legal advice?

My front bumper looks like it was in a collision, my passenger door has a huge chip, both rear rims are curb damaged, my rear tires are bald, my MPG gauge said 9MPG, never seen it lower than 12MPG, and a quarter of a tank of gas was used.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page