Will the Boss 302 Oil Cooler increase engine oil pressures? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will the Boss 302 Oil Cooler increase engine oil pressures?

I was wondering if the Boss 302 oil cooler increase engine oil pressures. And if it would increase oil pressures, what effect would that have on a supercharged 2012 Mustang GT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
MACH I Member

As far as that aspect, I would think that it would lower the oil pressure because of more space/lines that it has to now go through.
Nothing significant though where it would be unsafe for a s/c

IMO....

BTW......WELCOME TO AFM!!

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
Banned

From a physics viewpoint, if you restrict flow you increase pressure. So the question becomes, does the Boss oil cooler restrict flow and increase pressure? I doubt it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

Think of it this way - the reason you put an oil cooler on an engine in the first place is to increase the oil pressure at sustained high loads.

Once the oil temp is over the coolant temp, the cooler will reduce the oil temperature which increases the viscosity which in turn increases oil pressure.

2014 GT500
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

^ wouldn't the point of a cooler be to cool oil, not increase pressure? The cooler oil will have a thicker viscosity and more psi which will be from being harder to pump due to increased viscosity. Also from a purely mechanical aspect anything in the line will increase psi.

I agree with a couple of posts above the difference in psi will be mostly theoretical. A guess would be a few psi but that's only a guess. Also higher psi=higher hp needed to run oil pump again mostly insignificant but nonetheless real.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
Given that oil pumps usually have a relief valve built into the system I doubt you'll see any change at all.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

You'd never be able to measure it. Not sure you could measure the flow area in a cooler that would cause a restriction, oil shouldn't get much above coolent temp and what if any viscosity difference is there between 220 degs and 190. Probably having a dirty oil filter is worth worring about more than this
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
Apprentice

The boss oil cooler will only help your engine it will not change oil pressure at all only cool the oil and if you have a supercharger you sure as hell could use an oil cooler.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
^ wouldn't the point of a cooler be to cool oil, not increase pressure? The cooler oil will have a thicker viscosity and more psi which will be from being harder to pump due to increased viscosity.
Yes. The point of the cooler is to keep the oil from getting so hot that the oil pump can't maintain adequate oil pressure to keep the oil flowing into the crank and cam bearings. The biggest risk of this kind of pressure loss is actually when a smokin' hot engine drops to idle RPM.

2014 GT500
PONY Member

The engine oil pump / pressure regulator provides a fixed pressure at operating RPM, around 40 psi.

There will be a pressure drop for each component in the loop from the pump to the sump, for things like the tubing, the cooler and the engine.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
Rookie

Boss oil cooler on a supercharged GT

I am posting this as it seems apparent to me that the responders so far don't know much about the Boss oil cooler setup.
The Boss oil cooler is a COOLANT based oil cooler that relies on coolant flow around a heat sink that the oil filter attaches to. In other words there is no additional oil added to the system/engine as this is Not a traditional oil cooler. If you research the Ford racing site there is a >$1,000 true oil cooler that is sold that has hard lines that attach to a traditional air cooled oil cooler that is recommended for track use.

The other responders have covered the traditional oil cooler impacts. Hope this helps, but please note using the radiator to attempt to cool the oil is a factory cheap step when they should have used a traditional oil cooler on the Boss cars. Your supercharged car needs MAX oil cooling not a $200 heat sink if you plan on tracking it.

2011 Mustang GT, Ground Control coil-overs, 18x9 AMR rims, etc.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg View Post
I am posting this as it seems apparent to me that the responders so far don't know much about the Boss oil cooler setup.
The Boss oil cooler is a COOLANT based oil cooler that relies on coolant flow around a heat sink that the oil filter attaches to. In other words there is no additional oil added to the system/engine as this is Not a traditional oil cooler. If you research the Ford racing site there is a >$1,000 true oil cooler that is sold that has hard lines that attach to a traditional air cooled oil cooler that is recommended for track use.

The other responders have covered the traditional oil cooler impacts. Hope this helps, but please note using the radiator to attempt to cool the oil is a factory cheap step when they should have used a traditional oil cooler on the Boss cars. Your supercharged car needs MAX oil cooling not a $200 heat sink if you plan on tracking it.
this all makes since...but why would a supercharged car need a true oil cooler? i know a cetnri does not use the engine oil and im pretty sure a p/d blower doesnt either...

now a turbo an oil cooler makes sense..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Rookie

Oil Coolers

Correct that the S197 fitted Superchargers don't tap into internal oil like older forced induction systems did as they are now "self lubricated" via there own reserviors. The purpose of oil coolers is pure heat/thermal management for track days as even in extended daily driving with traffic the PD and Centris would not seem to need oil coolers. Unless your seeing over 240 degrees of oil temp with the reading starting to escalate then your not going to benefit from a traditional oil cooler. My '08 BMW 535i doesn't even open its factory oil cooler thermostat until after 240 degrees. It rapidly escalates to 270-280 degrees (known BMW issue where limp mode goes into effect at 300 degrees). Get out of boost (14 psi stage 1 Cobb) and it returns to 240 degrees quickly with the oil cooler fully working in cool air.

2011 Mustang GT, Ground Control coil-overs, 18x9 AMR rims, etc.
GT Member

Both coolant and air styles oil coolers have pros and cons. Street car work great with coolant style oil coolers. Air cooled oil cooler work better for full time track car.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Dawg,

I was discussing science, If I wanted to talk about facts I would've.

one of the best 1st posts btw.......welcome to AFM!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page