Will NVH be increased with an aluminum shift knob? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Will NVH be increased with an aluminum shift knob?

Compared to a stock "leather knob"? Especially, when you grab the knob.

'12 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium, 401A, MT-82, BMR Springs(front), Eibach Sportline Springs(rear), Koni STR.T's, FRPP GT500 Strut Mounts, J&M Adjustable Pamhard Bar, FRPP 3.73's, CS Front Valence, 19" x 9.5" Hypersilver OEM '10 GT500 Wheels. LMR Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Don't you already have an Aluminum shift knob with the 401A interior?

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I do, and the tranny noise through the aftermarket shifter is bad. I feel like the aluminum makes it worse, not sure though...

'12 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium, 401A, MT-82, BMR Springs(front), Eibach Sportline Springs(rear), Koni STR.T's, FRPP GT500 Strut Mounts, J&M Adjustable Pamhard Bar, FRPP 3.73's, CS Front Valence, 19" x 9.5" Hypersilver OEM '10 GT500 Wheels. LMR Shorty Antenna

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

FWIW, I have the stock shifter and I recently replaced my aluminum 401A shift knob with a black plastic Boss 302 knob. No difference in transmission noise or shifter feel. But then I wouldn't describe the trans noise as "bad." There is a faint whirring sound; nothing I'd call a whine, as many experience.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
Apprentice

Whats NVH stand for?

2012 Black GT, 3.73 gears, Vortech kit, JLT intake, Lethal xpipe, JMS BAP, GT500 axel backs, MGW shifter
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

Noise/Vibration/Harshness.

For a shifter knob it'll mostly be the first two. The last one refers to suspension issues.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I swapped back to the stock shifter and bracket. Too much NVH with the aftermarket stuff. I can now hear my GT500 axleback again. Luckily, Barton has a 30 money back guarantee.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

The stock knob has a rubber bushing that reduces NVH. The round aluminum one I think you're thinking of is considered a spherical end which increases it immensely. I wouldn't get the knob unless this was going to be a strictly track car.

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaizer View Post
The stock knob has a rubber bushing that reduces NVH. The round aluminum one I think you're thinking of is considered a spherical end which increases it immensely. I wouldn't get the knob unless this was going to be a strictly track car.

I have the round, aluminum knob that comes with the 401A package.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Yes, but it is but you don't hear it over the "dang that's cold" or the "damn that's hot" when you grab it. It conducts temperature very well too.

edit, Pasadena CA I figure you can ignore temperature extremes.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
I do, and the tranny noise through the aftermarket shifter is bad. I feel like the aluminum makes it worse, not sure though...
After swapping shifters, there was no increased noise or vibration for me with the 401A shifter.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Yes, but it is but you don't hear it over the "dang that's cold" or the "damn that's hot" when you grab it. It conducts temperature very well too.

edit, Pasadena CA I figure you can ignore temperature extremes.

Amen brother! I second that comment. I keep an old golf glove in my car for the hot summer and cold winter temperatures. I just for slip it over the aluminum shifting knob when it is too hot or cold. Problem solved.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
After swapping shifters, there was no increased noise or vibration for me with the 401A shifter.

Pete
What shifter did u swap to?

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and bracket with stock 401A shifter knob and boot.

Pete

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and bracket with stock 401A shifter knob and boot.

Pete
Nice choice ---- exactly what I am going to switch to!

2012 California Special Convertible / Ebony Black / 5.0 liter / MT-82 / GT500 Axle Backs with resonator delete / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & base bushing / Airaid CAI / BMR LCAs / BMR Relocation Brackets / BMR Adjustable UCA & Bracket / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar / Steeda Sport Springs / GT500 Strut Mounts / Koni STR.Ts / Shaker 500 with Infinity 6832CFs / Redline hood strut / Redline leather shifter & E-brake boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page