Upgrading brakes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Upgrading brakes

Hi,

I want to upgrade my brake performance but don't want to pay close to 2 grand on front conversion big brakes.

What do you suggest for pads and rotors? Does it worth it to change the brake lines?

I probably want slotted and drilled rotors. I did think about Steeda upgrade rears disc, with better rotors in the front?

What did you pu on your mustang and what do you suggest. It's for daliy driving and not track.

2012 Mustang 5.0: 4.10, Torsen T2R, Steeda CAI, Boss Intake manifold, JBA O/R Xpipe, Kooks shorty headers, Accel Super coil, BBK 90mm TB, Eibach sway bars, Eibach prokit springs, Steeda struts, Steeda camber plates, Steeda aluminium driveshaft, Steeda short shifter, Steeda adjustable LCA, Steeda adjustable UCA, 20in Enkei Razr, Falken FK452, Flowmaster American Thunder, Ford racing brake ducts, hawk pads, boss exterior mods, California spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

These cars stop under 110 feet from 60 MPH from factory. You shouldn't really need much more than that for the street.

If you want some better feel/performance...just go with some upgraded pads. Hawk, EBC, etc.

If you want some bling...you could get some rotors, too.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Wanted better performance because I don't feel that the car stops short enough.

Also seen that front rotors are always shown that 05-10 mustang, do they fit for 2012 mustang gt? Is there a difference?

2012 Mustang 5.0: 4.10, Torsen T2R, Steeda CAI, Boss Intake manifold, JBA O/R Xpipe, Kooks shorty headers, Accel Super coil, BBK 90mm TB, Eibach sway bars, Eibach prokit springs, Steeda struts, Steeda camber plates, Steeda aluminium driveshaft, Steeda short shifter, Steeda adjustable LCA, Steeda adjustable UCA, 20in Enkei Razr, Falken FK452, Flowmaster American Thunder, Ford racing brake ducts, hawk pads, boss exterior mods, California spoiler

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
Hi,

I want to upgrade my brake performance but don't want to pay close to 2 grand on front conversion big brakes.

What do you suggest for pads and rotors? Does it worth it to change the brake lines?

I probably want slotted and drilled rotors. I did think about Steeda upgrade rears disc, with better rotors in the front?

What did you pu on your mustang and what do you suggest. It's for daliy driving and not track.
Unless you plan on regular track use or live in mountain areas the stock brakes are more than enough.

These brakes were the track pack upgraded brakes for 2010 stangs.

If you want them just to want them then I would just save some money keep and eye on ebay for some Brembo takeoffs from Ebay. Multiple people have gotten everything needed for under $1K.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I changed pads to Hawk HPS and Goodridge stainless lines along with Motul brake fluid.

I never tracked my car other then drags and this upgrade was perfect.
I ran hard in the canyons with no fade and plenty of stopping power

and the stock rotors are up to the task so no worries.

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012
PONY Member

I agree, unless you want the bling, pads, lines, fluid, and stickier tires. Tires play a big roll in stopping distance.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Does it worth it to change the brake lines?
If you want a firmer pedal then yes changing brake lines is a good idea. You can get the Boss 302 brake lines for about $100 and they do give you a firmer pedal. They look identical to the stock lines but use a higher durometer (harder) rubber. I installed them and like them.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok I understand now that changing brake line will only give me a firmer braker pedal but it probably won't make no difference in stopping distance?

And rotors are only for bling??

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012
PONY Member

The only way to improve stopping distance is with better pads and stickier, wider, tires, unless you want to go with a BBK and six piston calipers. Drilled rotors are just bling and slotted rotors would help if tracking.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Ok I understand now that changing brake line will only give me a firmer braker pedal but it probably won't make no difference in stopping distance?
My post had nothing to do with stopping distance. You asked about brake lines in your original question and I told you that they can firm up the pedal, if that is something that you want. If you don't want a firmer pedal then leave the brake lines alone.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

And what are the benefits of having a firmer brake pedal?

Better pads would lower the braking distance.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Better performance comes with more expensive parts and upgraded parts....unfortunately. I'd say find a set of brembo fronts via FRPP and call it a done deal. Might seem far fetched at the time but the way I look at it is just do it once so you don't pay twice to upgrade from a lesser cost option down the line. Do it right the first time so you don't pay again the second! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
PONY Member

Quote:
Wanted better performance because I don't feel that the car stops short enough.

Also seen that front rotors are always shown that 05-10 mustang, do they fit for 2012 mustang gt? Is there a difference?
The 2005-2010 GT rotors are actually smaller than the 2011+, so you're actually sacrificing braking performance and that the caliper brackets don't fit haha. I say get a set of hawk hps or hp+ if you want better stopping distance. Slotted/drilled rotors only help improve cooling so they don't help with actual stopping distance. Keep an eye out on the forums or ebay and you can snatch a set of brembos taken off of a GT500.

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

So when I see rotors that are for 2005-2010 GT, they don't fit my 2012 GT. It seems as if they are only rear rotors that are available???

PONY Member

Maybe we can help if you tell us exactly what you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page