BBK Blackout cold air intake - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

BBK Blackout cold air intake

So I come home from work to find a new American Muscle catalog in my mailbox. First off I know how you guys feel about "no tune" cold air intakes... But AM is advertising a "no tune" BBK cold air kit, the "Blackout" that adds "16rwhp". I just want to know from anyone that has tried it or from AM how this can be. So before this turns into a cold air kit without tune is useless and you are a tard if you do it thread..I want to see some dyno sheets from AM, So I'm calling you out AM show me some dyno numbers on a all stock car except for the BBK intake and I will order 1 today. ( My warranty is important with this car so I do not wish to tune at this time)

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012
Rookie

You're honestly probably better off with your stock tune and stock intake. Cause it meant to work together unlike if you got the aftermarket CAI with the factory tune. Little to no increase in power will happen. Sometimes, it will even hurt your performance. Check it out on YouTube. Notice how everyone who has gotten CAI, always have the tune. It's pretty worthless without. Even American Muscle NEVER shows their intakes without tunes. Plus, I've seen a few videos where people just switch the CAI and hardly does anything at all. I was wanting a CAI but needed to keep the warranty. So I think you're better off leaving the stock set up till the warranty goes out. Just my two cents.

Ti-VCT.

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium Brembo Package 6speed Red Candy Metallic. Resonator/Muffler delete. SR lowering springs- 1.5 inch all around.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012
PONY Member

Why would you call out AM on a BBK intake? AM doesn't manufacturer it, they just sell it. Stick to the stock intake. After all it's already a Cold Air Intake. It says so right on it.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012
PONY Member

Don't waste your money. It would be for looks only without a tune.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel / Alcantara shift and brake boots / 10" matte black racing stripes / Rocker stripes
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012
PONY Member

Even with a tune, the CAI itself is little more than a noisemaker. They will make additional power on the dyno, but it is very hard for that power to make any real noticeable difference in performance. Almost all of the power that comes from a tune and CAI package is the tune.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
So I come home from work to find a new American Muscle catalog in my mailbox. First off I know how you guys feel about "no tune" cold air intakes... But AM is advertising a "no tune" BBK cold air kit, the "Blackout" that adds "16rwhp". I just want to know from anyone that has tried it or from AM how this can be. So before this turns into a cold air kit without tune is useless and you are a tard if you do it thread..I want to see some dyno sheets from AM, So I'm calling you out AM show me some dyno numbers on a all stock car except for the BBK intake and I will order 1 today. ( My warranty is important with this car so I do not wish to tune at this time)

Go to BBK's website. But you will never see a company NOT show a benefit from their products. It's why they sell them no matter if the results are exaggerated or not. Plus AM is a distributor so not exactly sure why you're so pissed off at them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
C Green,

Yes the BBK CAI systems are a no tune required Intake. They do add some decent power without a tune however obviously with a tune you'd see better gains. We've seen 25+ RWHP and 20+ RWTQ with a CAI & Tune on the 11+ GT's!

Let me see what I can do about getting a BBK CAI pulled and throw it on one of our project cars for Dyno testing. These guys are correct, those numbers came directly from BBK!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions and I'll see what I can do.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Go to BBK's website. But you will never see a company NOT show a benefit from their products. It's why they sell them no matter if the results are exaggerated or not. Plus AM is a distributor so not exactly sure why you're so pissed off at them.
Let me clarify..I may have worded my thread poorly. I am not pissed at AM at all. I was just trying to get them to show aome numbers on the forum..I realize that Bbk claims those numbers. But in my opinion if you are going to sell the part and advertise a certain gain you should stand behind it even if someone else makes it. I think AM is a great company and for anyone at AM that thought I was being rude..I apoligize that was not my intention .

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012
Banned

Quote:
Let me clarify..I may have worded my thread poorly. I am not pissed at AM at all. I was just trying to get them to show aome numbers on the forum..I realize that Bbk claims those numbers. But in my opinion if you are going to sell the part and advertise a certain gain you should stand behind it even if someone else makes it. I think AM is a great company and for anyone at AM that thought I was being rude..I apoligize that was not my intention .

The tune is where the power is. If you really are worried about the warranty the don't touch it. The $350 or whatever it is you spend is a set of nice GT500 axle backs and for $400 or so depending on your local shop, GT500's plus a resonator delete. Now THAT is worth it.
GT Member
S197 Member

I have it on my 04 GT..

The hoses it came with dint fit on I had to get new ones at autozone.

Maybe its different with the new ones
Gix
Rookie

My AEM CAI was my first mod and it also doesn't require a tune. I loved it, sounds great, easy to hear with stock exhaust. It revs quicker and I'll just leave it at you could feel a difference driving the car. I'd get it, it's a nice mod. I will have to admit I got mine really cheap so it was an easy decision for me, if you got the dough then go for it.

~2011 Mustang GT Grabber Blue~
AEM Cai
BBK x-pipe
BBK CAT deletes
Pypes axle backs
BAMA Tune(93R)
Boss intake manifold
AM short throw shifter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Green, the CAI will add noise. w/o meaning to insult I've read some posts where you are bothered by that.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Green, the CAI will add noise. w/o meaning to insult I've read some posts where you are bothered by that.
StrangeMud..You are so right. I can't stand noise, but stuff like exhaust sound and (good) engine sounds.. I Like. Just rattles, clanks, ticks and what not make me go crazy.

Banned

Quote:
StrangeMud..You are so right. I can't stand noise, but stuff like exhaust sound and (good) engine sounds.. I Like. Just rattles, clanks, ticks and what not make me go crazy.

THere definitely will be some added sounds but sounds from the throttle body opening up and the hissing of the air movement. I personally like the novelty. I also have an Airaid CAI and a Bama tune though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page