Specific exhaust question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Specific exhaust question

Hey all. I've got a pretty specific question I've searched for an answer for all to no avail.

I have a 2011 GT (which is getting a 2.9 whipple treatment in a few weeks) currently equipped with a lethal offroad h and a kooks 3" catback.

My predicament is I believe the passenger side muffler is going out or leaking. Personally I'm interested in approaching new avenues. I'm looking into a few different manufacturers for axle-back's, but obviously they are all sized for a 2.75" pipe.

Would it be advisable to hack and slash then re-weld or should I just pony up and get an entire new cat-back system?

I'm planning on adding ARH 1-7/8" headers with an O/R H when my father and I do the whipple install as well.

BTW, I'm interested in the bassani, GT 500, and borla s-type for those that are interested..

Thanks for your time.

2011 Black Mustang 5.0
2.9 L. Whipple Crusher - ARH Longtubes w/Offroad H-Pipe - Exedy Mach 500 clutch w/Fidanza Alminum Flywheel - Kooks catback - Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts - Steeda Sport Springs - JLT Catchcan - Barton Shifter and Bracket - Roush Billet Grille and Spoiler - CS Front Fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Rookie

go big or go home

I had the same issue back in my firebird days, I actually did the hack and slash. It worked out for me but you're already redoing your whole exhaust system so why not try getting new h pipes, x pipes or off road pipes for a great performance and sound gain? Americanmuscle.com offers all that and their hotline always answers my questions!

HOOAH
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Grimace427

I had the same issue with trying to change the muffler-section of a Magnaflow 3" catback(just didn't like the sound) and because it was a slip-fit instead of the stock ball-and-socket joint I couldn't just install axleback mufflers. If the Kooks catback uses a slip fit you are limited to mufflers from a catback system as well, and if they aren't Kooks they may not fit properly. So your choices would be to try to fix the mufflers you already have, install the stock overaxle pipes with a new axleback(what I did), or go with a completely new catback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvorak33 View Post
I had the same issue back in my firebird days, I actually did the hack and slash. It worked out for me but you're already redoing your whole exhaust system so why not try getting new h pipes, x pipes or off road pipes for a great performance and sound gain?
He already has an off-road H-pipe.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Banned

GT500's with headers and an offroad H pipe would sound SIIIIIIIIIIICK! I'd cut out the resonators from the factory over axle pipes and reinstall them to fit up with the GT500's. Bassani Race and Borla S Type axle backs, even with resonators with headers and an off road mid pipe is going to be very...very loud. Ask Grimace. He's got headers with high flow cats and S-Types.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Kook's warranties their parts, you may want to contact them first.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

So far all great suggestions.

Believe it or not, I actually want to quiet it down a little bit. It's already pretty loud with the kooks and O/R H. I'm wondering if it's going to be even louder with the longtubes added to the mix.

Usually I run the lobey tune, but I'm probably going to keep the standard "idle" after boosting it now that I think about it.

On another note, I've always loved the tone of GT500 mufflers.

2011 Black Mustang 5.0
2.9 L. Whipple Crusher - ARH Longtubes w/Offroad H-Pipe - Exedy Mach 500 clutch w/Fidanza Alminum Flywheel - Kooks catback - Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts - Steeda Sport Springs - JLT Catchcan - Barton Shifter and Bracket - Roush Billet Grille and Spoiler - CS Front Fascia
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla View Post
Believe it or not, I actually want to quiet it down a little bit.

I have this same goal. When the exhaust gets this loud and you live in an urban/suburban enviornment it becomes very hard to enjoy it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
PONY Member

JBA.

They are 3 inch.

They are quieter and deeper than GT500s.

They are under $400, made from stainless, fit incredibly well and sound great.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
JBA.

They are 3 inch.

They are quieter and deeper than GT500s.

They are under $400, made from stainless, fit incredibly well and sound great.

Mike
The pipe diameter is not what's important, they must have the same joint(either stock ball and socket or slip fit) in order to mate up with the catback's overaxle pipes.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
The pipe diameter is not what's important, they must have the same joint(either stock ball and socket or slip fit) in order to mate up with the catback's overaxle pipes.
They are indeed stock style.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I was flipping through my 5.0 mag and these sparked my interest:

Dynomax 38504 Dynomax VT Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems

I've searched on the web a bit and all I found was guys with V6's or fox's...not quite what I wanted to hear.

The most intriguing part in the pic in the description is slotted bushing ends...that would save me a lot of trouble from the hack and slash game.

Anyone tried/heard these before?

2011 Black Mustang 5.0
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Believe it or not, I actually want to quiet it down a little bit. It's already pretty loud with the kooks and O/R H. I'm wondering if it's going to be even louder with the longtubes added to the mix.
Oh I believe it, over the years I've had some crazy loud setups, but its nice to have something that sounds almost docile until you let her rip. Adding long tubes is going to make it louder, and a bit deeper as well. Best way to get the sound under control, especially at light throttle, is to get a mid pipe with good high flow cats. There's virtually no power lost, its got a nice sound level at cruise and light throttle and when you get on it you still have great sound.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
PONY Member

Quote:
I was flipping through my 5.0 mag and these sparked my interest:

Dynomax 38504 Dynomax VT Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems

I've searched on the web a bit and all I found was guys with V6's or fox's...not quite what I wanted to hear.

The most intriguing part in the pic in the description is slotted bushing ends...that would save me a lot of trouble from the hack and slash game.

Anyone tried/heard these before?
I had the Ultra-Flows, which are basically the same identical muffler without the internal valve. They sounded nice. I have 6-7 videos on my YouTube channel of them.

NOTE: Dynomax installs the hangers on the Ultra-Flows and the VT mufflers so that the mufflers hang at an angle. I guess they think people find that visually interesting. I really did not.

Mike

PONY Member

Nooooo Phil! Your video here is the reason I went with the Kooks catback and Lethal H-Pipe.
2011 Mustang TRUE flyby - YouTube

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
GT Member

This is what Kenne Bell claims with no cats or highflow cats... Just fix the mufflers

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...Converters.pdf

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page